collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customs as a business  (Read 809 times)

BabeRunner

• Trade Count: (0)
Customs as a business
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:35:28 AM »
Good morning everypony!

Question for all of you custom artists out there:

What would you consider the amount of money needed to start a customs business?

I have someone willing to give me money for start up capital and I have no clue where to start looking for those kind of expenses!

Help, please!

I"m not looking to do anything crazy, just a custom pony every now and then, Maybe on Etsy or something. I want to keep it casual. I'm not going to be quitting my day job for this. :)

Thanks in advance! 

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
Re: Customs as a business
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
I keep track of all my supplies, purchases, sales, etc, but it's still *definitely* in the hobby realm. To be a business for the IRS, you need to show that you are attempting to make money/profit during the first 3-5 years.
Keep in mind, that as a business, you will have to pay both the employee and employer taxes, which is expensive, so unless you're bringing in thousands of dollars a year it's probably a hobby ;)
if you describe what you do as "a labor of love" it's probably a hobby lol

if you're just looking to get into customizing...you won't need an investor ...just buy some cheap g3/g4 baits, get some acrylic paints from the craft store, a brush or two, and order some nylon hair (if you're going to rehair). yes, it's a cost up front thing, but, honestly, if you're wanting to start customizing *in order t make money* you're looking at it all wrong
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

BabeRunner

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:43:45 AM »
Oh, right, not planning on making tons of money or anything.

It is definitely still a hobby thing.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
If someone is willing to invest in you, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting an airbrush. There's a bunch of threads on here about which ones are good. They will make your life easier and your customs worth more.

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »
Yup, Roogna is pretty much right. Good luck and have fun, making profit from customs can be hard! :)

Offline Jennifer2004

• Hooked on Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Looking for Bowtie variants, nirvanas, & merch!
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer Bischoff
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
If someone is willing to invest in you, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting an airbrush. There's a bunch of threads on here about which ones are good. They will make your life easier and your customs worth more.

This is my advice as well. Airbrushes can be pricey, but Salli is right they really will make your life easier and your customs nicer. When my mom realized I was getting more and more serious about my custom hobby, she offered to give me some "start-up money" too. I used the money to buy an airbrush and an air compressor. Best investment I could have ever made for my customizing.

~Jennifer

eCrater Store - Commissions Info - Facebook Page

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »

yes. I have an airbrush too. however, airbrushed painting does not always mean your customs will be worth more. some don't need FBRs at all, sometimes paint is just accents (airbrush or not), sometimes hand is the way to get the look and feel you need. it's fun to play with and some prefer it, but it doesn't mean you'll start making more money with your customs ;)

DeviantArt Etsy

BabeRunner

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 06:48:31 AM »

yes. I have an airbrush too. however, airbrushed painting does not always mean your customs will be worth more. some don't need FBRs at all, sometimes paint is just accents (airbrush or not), sometimes hand is the way to get the look and feel you need. it's fun to play with and some prefer it, but it doesn't mean you'll start making more money with your customs ;)

I would have never thought of an airbrush. This is why I ask. :)

That might be really good for "mass" production... by mass I mean like, the dozen or so ponies that will be at least the same color...

Thank you for all your help everypony!

(saying everypony will NEVER get old with me. :) )

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 07:16:57 AM »
Just make sure you don't use ponies for your customs that are in perfectly restorable condition!

Check out this thread for details:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,369139.0.html
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

BabeRunner

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 07:30:27 AM »
Just make sure you don't use ponies for your customs that are in perfectly restorable condition!

So far I've actually ordered blank ponies from Hasbro... I don't have the heart to bait a pony yet.

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
I snagged a second basic Badger airbrush on amazon for less than $20.  It is a very basic set, only come with one hose which is very short, one cup, and an adapter for the canisters.  If you do go to the airbrush route, I suggest getting a small air compressor. 

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
I want an airbrush too! :jealous: Full body repaints take me ages by hand, an airbrush would just make life so much easier!

I agree that customizing is not particularly profitable, at least before you have built up a reputation for yourself it seems.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »

So far I've actually ordered blank ponies from Hasbro... I don't have the heart to bait a pony yet.

can you still order blanks from hasbro?
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »

can you still order blanks from hasbro?

You can order G3 blanks from the Hasbrotoyshop.com  (White with white hair). They call it "My Little Pony Decorate Your Own Pony"  they are $3.99

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »
At least with customs it's not like you have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on paint, sculpting materials, and hair.  A bottle of acrylic paint can go a loooong way. Hanks of hair can sometimes do a couple of ponies. It's all about planning ahead.
...another Wisconsinite, where are you located?

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal