collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Grumpy about flakes...  (Read 964 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Grumpy about flakes...
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »
You know, sometimes I think we should have a list or some way of providing feedback for flakey buyers/sellers.

Like for example, SAY someone contacts you asking to buy something, you confirm the price, check on the shipping, and then once everything is all packed up, the person flakes out and decides not to buy it after all.    >_<   

This seems to happen a lot on the Arena I am sad to say.  I always wonder how often they do this with others, since their is no way of letting people know about these people (their actions don't warrant a negative or neutral under Arena rules).

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
Re: Grumpy about flakes...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
Unfortunately your right it does not  :huh: The thing is unless we as Mods personally see the email/Pm's it is a he said she/said, if you know what I mean. 

I personally myself hate time wasters and maybe it is something we can look into as long as it is a confirmed sale. Although that would make a ton more work for us, and we are already volunteer our free time  :(
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 06:44:08 PM »
It's a lot like a non-paying bidder on eBay. You go through a lot of work for nothing. It is pretty annoying. A buyer needs to make it clear whether they are asking out of curiosity or asking with the intent to purchase. I do think some sellers rush to the conclusion that a possible buyer is intent on purchasing if they ask a couple questions like the shipping cost or if they ask for more photos. It's possible that the seller just did not give enough info in the first place prompting some extra questions. However, some buyers do leave the sale in limbo with the lack of communication after the seller has answered all the relevant questions. And it's at this point that I agree that we should be able to have a list of unfavorable communicators.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 05:11:32 AM »
Flakes are a pain in the butt that's for sure :(  I know why feedback would be helpful but it could also lead to issues if for example the person was just asking about the cost etc, without actually saying they were going to buy (say they don't buy cos the shipping would be too expensive or something) but the seller thought that they did intend to buy and so gives them bad feedback . That's why we'd need to see all the details/messages as Ponylady said- and it would be pretty time consuming to sort it all out. Not that I think real flakes should get away with it either though.
It's just a toughie to sort out , so as PL also said - it's something maybe we can look into for confirmed sales :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
The thing is, its ok if a potential buyer thinks the item/shipping is expensive and says so.  But most of the time, you just get no further communication.  The silly thing is if the buyer thinks its too expensive and lets me know, chances are I'd be willing to reduce the price for them!!!!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:55:29 AM »
Yeah- expensive shipping is one thing, although honestly domestic shipping rates are not particularly difficult to anticipate (I know international prices can be surprisingly high).  More annoying is when things have progressed to the packing up stage, and I have brought a package to work all wrapped up and ready to go- only to have someone change their mind.  There are now three boxes of stuff sitting under my desk at work waiting for nobody at all.  I need that room for my own boxes of crap! Lol

Anyways, I totally agree that keeping track of flakes would be WAY more trouble (particularly for the mods) than it would be worth (since there is a lot of grey situations or alleged misunderstandings) - and of course the mods are busy enough keeping out the actual scammers and creepsters, so I can't really think of any good way to address the situation-  just grumbling about it I guess ;)

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »
Yeah- expensive shipping is one thing, although honestly domestic shipping rates are not particularly difficult to anticipate (I know international prices can be surprisingly high).  More annoying is when things have progressed to the packing up stage, and I have brought a package to work all wrapped up and ready to go- only to have someone change their mind.  There are now three boxes of stuff sitting under my desk at work waiting for nobody at all.  I need that room for my own boxes of crap! Lol

Anyways, I totally agree that keeping track of flakes would be WAY more trouble (particularly for the mods) than it would be worth (since there is a lot of grey situations or alleged misunderstandings) - and of course the mods are busy enough keeping out the actual scammers and creepsters, so I can't really think of any good way to address the situation-  just grumbling about it I guess ;)

Yeah I see how that would be annoying. Personally I don't pack up the ponies until the seller has paid. Saves a load of hassle unpacking them when the buyer does flake.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
Instead of making this a mod issue, you could just join forces with a couple fellow arena sellers and just trade stories amongst yourselves and you then could decide if a buyer becomes a problem amongst a couple of you and then bring a mod into it.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:21:19 PM »
Instead of making this a mod issue, you could just join forces with a couple fellow arena sellers and just trade stories amongst yourselves and you then could decide if a buyer becomes a problem amongst a couple of you and then bring a mod into it.

That might be a good idea.  Like sellers just send a pm to each other of their flakes for the month, and if anyone appears on the combined flake lists a few times too many they get put on a watch list or something. . .

It's been a problem for me too, and I don't really have a lot of time to be doing these things anymore.  I offer international shipping only as a nicety.  I don't have to do it, and for all the trouble it usually brings me, I'm about to quit.  I get my worse flakes and my most argumentative buyers sometimes.  I have a few who are wonderful and I'm always happy to have them repeat buy from me, but as of late, been getting a bunch of time wasters.  I preface that shipping internat. from the US with any sort of insurance is extremely expensive.  Most of the time, the biggest cost IS the insurance, and so I get buyers getting argumentative with me, asking me to drop insurance ( that protects me! ) to save THEM money, while they still have paypal protection.  If the item is lost, it's MY FAULT, according to paypal, so they get to get their money back when the item gets lost.  I told a person who wasted more than a little time with me that if she wanted the large bunch of ponies she had picked ( like $50 in ponies ) without insurance, then payment would have to be made as gift.  I never ask this, but if the buyer is so adamant about being cheap, then I'm going to protect myself.  If they're lost because they declined insurance, that's their fault, and not really mine.  Fair in my opinion.  Surprise, surprise, she didn't ever reply.  Which was just as well. 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »

Hmmm- I don't see how this would work. There are no persons who are just "sellers" and "buyers" there are just arena members, who sometimes buy and sometimes sell and sometimes neither.

Honestly I am realizing there is no great way of dealing with flaky buyers on the Arena, unless sales were made through an entirely different system outside the arena- wherein offerings were posted with all of the terms, and the terms of the sale could be confirmed with the seller clicking "buy" or whathaveyou.  I think a few people do use a system like that, but by that time I may as well list on ebay.  :P  There are flakes there too, but at least I can "ding" them when they fail to pay, and eventually ebay will revoke their buyer rights. 

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »
There are a few of us who predominantly sell. Just check our feedback and see if feedback is mainly buying or selling :P

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »
Why don't you just say something that indicates like okay, so you're definitely in and won't back out? or whatever. Sometimes I am interested in something and change my mind but if I was asked some form of 'is this definite' I'd answer differently or stick to the deal.  And don't jump the gun on packing of course.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Well, all that is needed for a contract is offer and acceptance of the essential terms.  SPecifically 1) what is being bought 2) what is the price.  Did the buyer accept your price and agree to pay the cost of say priority shipping?  It's a deal.  Seems particularly enforceable by the time they are asking for your paypal address. 

But then the buyer changes his or her mind.  What then? It's not like you can force them to go through with it.  If you did, what is to stop them from filing a paypal dispute claiming that the items aren't as described?

Honestly, even on ebay, when a buyer flakes out and changes their mind because "something has come up!" or they have found it for a better deal somewhere else- I sometimes let the buyer out even then, if only to avoid further trouble (ie dings on my seller rating).

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 04:39:10 PM »
If payment has been discussed and is to be expected, then if they flake out, I would still start a TS thread... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »
I always intend to buy if I ask for a paypal address, and usually (unless some bizarre/emergency situation comes up, or we have an agreement to pay on a certain day) pay immediately, and send the screenshot of payment confirmation, so the seller can get started on their end with packaging and whatnot. I am a seller as well, so I realise that yes, you do have to pack it up to make sure it all fits and what it weighs for the quote, and sometimes I'll even do up labels for the box/envelope, but for the love of god don't seal anything until payment is made and you have confirmation of that - and if they change their mind after that, then I'd leave neg feedback - because that's a sale! You sold it, money changed hands.

If they change their mind prior to that, no harm done. Yes it's annoying, but if I send two messages that go un-replied to - I take the item off hold, and give it to the next person in line. Of course this is within a reasonable time frame, I'm not shooting off messages every 5 minutes! I do state this in my sales terms though, so buyers know what they're getting into.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal