collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony doubles--- who else goes nuts?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Pony doubles--- who else goes nuts?
« on: May 05, 2015, 04:28:06 AM »
Hi.  My name's Daffodil and I have a problem. :blush:

I hope I'm not the only one... So, I have about a dozen doubles at the moment of one little newborn, and it is literally impossible to pick which ones to sell.  Why, you may ask?  Because they are all in exactly the same condition?  Because it's my favourite pony in the world and it's an army?  No.  I'll tell you why.  It's because I feel like they all have individual personalities.

Every single one.  Like, there's this cute little newborn with tail rust.  I guess I could take the tail out and clean it, but really I don't think even Ironman could get the head off, it's practically fused on.  She's not the most perfect pony.  But I swear she's looking at me with this cute little mischievous twinkle in her eye that none of the other ones do.

And then the next one?  her hair just falls so cutely.  And it's so *different*  to the 3560804 other ones I have.  And the next one?  Her body's super bright.  So she looks extra happy.  I can't part with her!!

So I guess I'll just have to keep them all.

Aaaarrgghhiiiess!   :throw: :argh: :haha: :bolt:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:30:28 AM by daffodil101 »

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
Re: Pony doubles--- who else goes nuts?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:48:37 AM »
Haha, same here! I have two Shaggies for instance, one is in better condition and the other is cuter, and there's no way they are the same pony. XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:16:55 AM »
I try to think of how happy they will make someone else!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

TWILIGHTCOOKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:28 AM »
I have lots of doubles, triplets and quadruples of the same pony. I can't part with any of them.

shintoji

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »
same here!!! i cant stand doubles for most things, but with ponies its just too hard to part with them!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »
I try to think of how happy they will make someone else!

I feel the same way. I dont want to horde all the ponies for those who don't really have one. I admit it is hard saying goodbye but they all go to good homes. :)

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:14:32 AM »
I've never been in this situation before.  So I've no idea.

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 01:20:07 PM »
I too struggle with the doubles, so now I decide before I clean them, before we bond. Unless the new one is super minty, it usually ends up moving along. If two come in at the same time, and they're a pony I don't have, I pick the one that looks like it might come out cleaner, clean it, and put the other in my "sales to clean, so don't get attached" pile! That pile never gets touched when I'm emotional!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
Yeah, you're definitely going to have to keep them all. ;P I don't see any problem with that! I feel that all of my ponies, even ones I have four copies of, are more valuable to me than their going sell price, even if I were to sell them to a fellow collector. Thankfully I don't have a billion duplicates of a really valuable pony (wait, what am I saying -- that would be awesome) so I don't have to feel guilty. :)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »
I don't plan on keeping any doubles of ponies- although I did keep my childhood ponies and replaced some with better condition ponies for display purposes :) But I just can't get rid of my childhood toys that I have left.

I do have two Starlites from Rainbow Brite that I rescued from Goodwill. One was missing an eye and the other was missing his star and his hair was tightly braided and if I remember correctly both were extremely dirty. So I fixed them up the best that I could. I bought a cheap claw machine plush and did an eye transplant :) and I bought some iridescent yellow fabric to replace the star on the other. I flat ironed the one's hair and the both got a good cleaning. I put so much love into restoring them that I couldn't decide which one to keep. I prefer the eye transplant one, because you really can't tell the difference. The star one doesn't look as good- maybe one day I can try again :) I had always wanted a Starlite ever since I was a child and I finally got 2 as an adult :)

So, normally no I don't keep doubles. Sometimes it is very hard for me to choose which one to keep, so sometimes I ask for my husband's opinion :)

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »
I am complicated when it comes to this.

If I buy a pony, and it's the first of a pony I ever had, or sister ever had, it stays. No matter how bad the condition.

Upgrades can be bought but the original stays. Intermediate upgrades, however, they can be sold because they are not the "original" herd member.

Childhood ponies are sacrosanct. Even if there are doubles among them.

Because my sister and I collected together, there are ponies she has I don't and vice versa, and some we both have. When I get a pony in a lot that she has, and I don't, I keep it or sell it depending on the following:
Keep:
If I really like the pony (like the So Softs, Bright Eyes, Tornado, Princess Amethyst...for some reason I have the Meadowsweet Parents, which was a bit surprising!)
If the pony is really absolutely mint condition
If there is some minor variation between hers and mine (or between others in my collection already, like I now have 3 different Baby Mischiefs).

Sell: if the above 2 conditions aren't met or I'm just not inspired to keep it (because even though I don't have it, sister does, so that means we have it and don't need it).

My sister has an army of Posey and Cotton Candy, but any pony that's likely to be sold doesn't ever mix with the collection. They're separate from the start. Once a pony enters my cupboard, most of the time, it doesn't leave again to a new home. Only occasional upgraded upgrades do that - but it's rare.

Trade ponies live in the trade box until they move to their new home.

This all applies to Gen 1 though. I have sold Gen 2 and Gen 3 ponies without any issue.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Ponykit

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
I can understand that, even if I've never been in that situation.

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 12:49:55 AM »
Although I'm still pretty new, I am amassing some doubles within my collection at this point. There are a few ponies that I am likely to keep variations of if I love how different versions look. But I don't think I would feel compelled to keep any exact duplicate. I haven't had "quite" that issue yet, but I'm pretty sure the one I would keep would be my favorite "version" / "copy" / etc. of the pony in question. I don't (at this point?) see different versions of the same ponies as different characters. Rather, I see them as things that have happened to that character. (For example, did Rarity and Pinkie Pie go hang out with The Invisible Woman to become transparent for the Water Cuties set? Did one of the unicorns cast a spell that went wrong? Did Zecora make a potion? Who knows? And who IS Diamond Mint?)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 02:44:24 AM »
I have the same issue.

It's how my G2 Princess Crystal army started.

A childhood friend of mine had a Princess Crystal and I never had her in my collection. So a few years ago I decided to buy one. But her front lock was completely cut off, so I decided to buy another one, so I could sell the one with the hair cut. But I couldn't. They were so different from each other. Now I have 25 of her, most are pretty much the same but some are really different and have so much personality XD

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »
I have an understanding for the situation. I don't have several of the same pony but I do have some doubbles. Mainly the extras come from people who find them on fleemarkets and buy them for me and when I see those ponies I get all warm and fuzzy inside knowing people thought of me. I can't part with gifts like that no matter how many of the same I have. When it comes to my own findings it's another story tho. I clean them up and mean to sell them but usually they just end up in storage bins.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal