collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Just how much is Ice Crystal worth?  (Read 4156 times)

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
Just how much is Ice Crystal worth?
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »
I bought an Ice Crystal about ten years ago for $60.  He looks like he's had a mane trim, has a very frizzy tail and some rust.  If his head wasn't sealed I'd rip it out then clean it.  His body has some minor scuff marks, but no real marks.  He's not for sale or trade, but I saw an Icee on eBay for $200.  I'm just curious if he's gone up in value.

He was my first Mountain Boy, and the most I've ever spent on a single pony, and I hope to not go above that price on any pony.

~Jenn
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:17:43 AM by FullMoonFever »
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
Re: Just how much is Ice Crystal worth?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
In fairly good condition, I've seen him go for anywhere from $80-$120 on the arena, and no doubt more on ebay. I'd say $60 sounds about right for yours, though I could be wrong.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:15:44 PM »
Average value for Icey hovers around  $100-$120.  With a mane trim and rust, I would say $80ish.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:24:23 AM by cloud_weaver »

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:30:30 AM »
I'd say around $60 (poor condition) to $120 (minty). So yeah yours sounds like $70 or so? But sometimes people pay more and sometimes you can grab a bargain, depends on who's looking at the time. $200 is way high though! Is he complete with accessories at least?
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline FullMoonFever

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »
I'd say around $60 (poor condition) to $120 (minty). So yeah yours sounds like $70 or so? But sometimes people pay more and sometimes you can grab a bargain, depends on who's looking at the time. $200 is way high though! Is he complete with accessories at least?

Nope, no accessories, just an awesome condition Ice Crystal
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline cloud_weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »

Still way too high...

Btw,  you're about 10 minutes from where I live!

Cloudie’s Wish List
Cloudie’s TRADE List

Offline FullMoonFever

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »

Still way too high...

Btw,  you're about 10 minutes from where I live!

O_o  really?

Offline cloud_weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 10:20:28 AM »
Yup!   I live in El Mirage, right next to Surprise.  :)

Cloudie’s Wish List
Cloudie’s TRADE List

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »
Um, a lot -- as others have already mentioned. He's just the very prettiest of the boys! I pretty much never see him anywhere for sale.

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
I think he's one of those ponies where it depends on how badly the buyer wants him. Factor in a bidding war on eBay and that pricetag is going to skyrocket. Boy ponies do tend to go higher to begin with, and the Mountain Boys are probably the priciest boys (barring Nirvanas). Icey is also so incredibly eyecatching; I agree with ringwraith10 that he's the best looker in the set! ;)

So I guess with all that in mind, paying $200 for him isn't entirely out of left field, especially if someone really wanted him.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:47:13 PM by flyawayraven »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
Putting it into context, when I was carbooting in the 1990s/early 2000s, Mountain Boys were never really *common* ponies, since they were only really out in 1987/8. Among those, Thundercloud was always the one I found most often. Tornado the least, Ice Crystal the second least. So even for people here in the UK, where he was properly sold, he was hard to find pony in a time when you could get 5-10 G1 ponies average every carboot sale.

Now, more than 15 years on from that, finding any G1 pony at a second hand market of any kind is not common. The ones that come up on ebay are either people rediscovering their ponies and selling them through the new medium of sale, or they're collectors downsizing or selling for cash. Finding a harder to find pony is more unlikely, limiting the options people have in obtaining them - to ebay and online trade. And when you consider that only a very few places actually sold the Mountain Boys, and some will probably never see the light of day, the supply/demand thing is also a factor.

There's also the fact IC is green. Like Mimic and Cool Breeze, he attracts a certain interest factor because of the slightly unusual colour scheme (a lot of collectors really go for this). And, maybe, some UK collectors are into him too because of the comic characters the MBs had, he's probably the only one who was really sane (maybe Lightning was, depends).

I think Mountain Boys are legitimately htf ponies, and probably always will be. I don't know about pricing by ebay, since that's also influenced by the bidders in that moment, but I would personally expect him in good condition to hold a decent value and, probably, with his sticker and/or card, even more.

Comb/ribbon, maybe less so.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DashyMomma

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
Yup!   I live in El Mirage, right next to Surprise.  :)

Hello from Tucson, Glendale and El Mirage MLP lovers.  I was in the Desert Ridge area from 2003 to 2013, then moved to Tucson.   Has there ever been a 'southwest' pony party?
(I ask this with apologies up front if this is considered hyjacking a thread...)  :blush:
-DashyMomma
--Avatar ID?? I want to give credit to the artist. If you recognize the Avatar image/ know the artist, please PM me. thx everypony!!!
--Wish list: TAF baby Sweet Tooth, Spanish Milky Way, 7 Tales ponies and Jewellery Baby Ponies.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 12:51:35 AM »
... in a time when you could get 5-10 G1 ponies average every carboot sale...

:yikes: This almost makes me wish I'd been in the UK back then, I arrived when it was mostly G3s you could find and now you don't even get those.

Anyway, back to Icey...with patience (and in my case great kindness from another member) you can eventually get your grail ponies at a price you can afford.  :)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 02:31:20 AM »
... in a time when you could get 5-10 G1 ponies average every carboot sale...

:yikes: This almost makes me wish I'd been in the UK back then, I arrived when it was mostly G3s you could find and now you don't even get those.

Anyway, back to Icey...with patience (and in my case great kindness from another member) you can eventually get your grail ponies at a price you can afford.  :)

I have seen G2 and G3 but no G1 for a while now. :( Maybe it is my fault though...I exported a lot of ponies in the late 1990s...

Did have one day then, though, when I  scored all the MB ponies, princesss dragons and more, and another when I found a bag of sweetie babies with theur clips and other for 20p. I miss those days so much :'( and prices in general would be a lot less mad if there were still lots of G1 around to trade...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »
As others have said he is certainly up there at the top of the price point for Mountain Boys. $110 minty is where he tends to hover. Even with problems he is going to be expensive but like many expensive ponies they tend to jump down quite a bit with issues.

For your guy actual price, will depend on how severe his main trim is. Are we talking a little from his forelock or a mohawk?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal