collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which G3s have turning heads?  (Read 462 times)

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Which G3s have turning heads?
« on: May 02, 2015, 03:58:19 AM »
Is there a complete list somewhere?

I can not seem to find the information anywhere! The mlp wiki mentions it for some ponies but not for all of them. The re-releases encyclopedia does have some information but not all G3s are on there obviously, just the ones that were re-released at some point.
I searched here at the arena as well and I only found one thread that is pretty much a poll to see which type of heads people prefer.

I know hasbro started it somewhere around 2006/2007. I have some ponies from around that time with turning heads.
I don't think it happened before 2006 (but correct me if I'm wrong). And I don't think they made it with all G3s from 2007 and onwards, but they did it with many of them.

If you look at for example the wysteria pose on mlp wiki you can see that not all of them have their heads at the same angle, it seems some of them have turning heads. But it's very hard to see in the pictures of course.

Is there any G3 site that might have this information?
-

Offline misskindle

• No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • ~Everything must be PINK~
    • View Profile
Re: Which G3s have turning heads?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
strawberryreef.com might be your best bet, it's a G3-centered pony site.

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »
Strawberry Reef has an incomplete list here: http://strawberryreef.com/Index/Characteristic/headturns.html

According to them "Around 2006, ponies started to be released with turning heads."

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 06:22:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure the turning heads became a feature at the start of the Crystal Princess line (which was right at the start of 2006).  I remember finding the first set of eight (Silver Glow, Royal Bouquet, Tulip Twinkle etc.) in January of that year and they were the first released with turning heads.  I think all ponies released after that have the feature.

So basically anything released in the Butterfly Island era or before doesn't have a turning head, anything released in the Crystal Princess era or after does. :)

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 01:10:51 AM »
Thanks people :) I will look into the Strawberry Reef site now.

I'm pretty sure the turning heads became a feature at the start of the Crystal Princess line (which was right at the start of 2006).  I remember finding the first set of eight (Silver Glow, Royal Bouquet, Tulip Twinkle etc.) in January of that year and they were the first released with turning heads.  I think all ponies released after that have the feature.

So basically anything released in the Butterfly Island era or before doesn't have a turning head, anything released in the Crystal Princess era or after does. :)

Yes, this is what I was thinking too. I think it's only 99% true though, as there are exceptions, although I can not think of one right now to prove it...  >_<

In fact I haven't been able to find a time line for the releases of those years. The mlp wiki has some ponies as 2006 ponies while re-releases encyclopedia have them as 2007 ponies. I will check with Strawberry Reef now and compare.
A timeline would help to pinpoint which were the very first ponies with that feature and then to check and confirm with the following releases from there.

There are also some ponies that are available in both versions, turning heads and non-turning heads. Like the babies Hokey Pokey and Boogie Woogie.

It's interesting that even the SR site only has an incomplete list.
(And many of the ponies on their list are later ones in the clone pose)

Post Merge: May 03, 2015, 02:18:36 AM

For example, here are some ponies I'm wondering about. Do these have turning heads?

2007 Collector's Edition Tin with five ponies:
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Collector%27s_Edition_Tin

2006 Easter Egg Daisyjo:
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Daisyjo#Easter_Daisyjo

The collector tin ponies look like they have normal non-turning heads in the picture. It might be a promo picture though and I don't have these in my collection so can not compare.

I have the Daisyjo in egg (unopened) and looking at her she seems to have a little bit of excess glue around her neck joint so I guess that means she has non-turning head..?
Does anyone have her loose and can confirm?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:18:36 AM by tootie_tails »
-

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »
Yes it was the crystal princess line it started with. However within that line there were quite a lot of ponies that can be found both ways. It was either something hasbro were gradually moving towards or they were being made at multiple sites with each doing something different. As the line progresses, we get more and more ponies which only have the head moving option.

Of the sets you mention: daisyjo comes inboth versions and the multi pack is moving head only I believe.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »
Wasn't Daffidazey the first G3 with a turning head?  I remember buying her in the store and there being a sticker on the box for the playset she came with that said something to that effect.  I could be wrong, though, as it was a while ago.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal