collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any other roller skaters around here?  (Read 916 times)

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
Any other roller skaters around here?
« on: April 29, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
Ok I admit I haven't skated in like 6 years, but I plan on skating this Friday at a church near me.  Yes they actually have a roller rink!

I'm a quad skater, old school no blades for me.  Not the high top boots you're probably thinking of.  Speed skates, Jam Skates or Derby Skates.

I used to do a little jam skating (break dancing on skates) but then the person I skated sessions with stopped talking to me and I quit (long story.)

I'm just curious if there's any other roller skaters out here :)

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

medleymayhem

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Any other roller skaters around here?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »
Not a roller skater but know a couple of former derby girls. Going to be skating next month with a work crew. Haven't skated in ages...do they make wearable butt pads?

Offline FullMoonFever

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »
LOL yes, you can buy butt pads.

Back a few years ago a couple derby teams tried recruiting me, but I'm not a violent person and one on one physical contact I don't find fun.  Not like in pushing and stuff I mean.

Also don't fall down very well.

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »
I visited a rink in Girl Scouts once, and while it was an interesting experience I can't say I really had fun. Not for me! I prefer ice skating.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »
I was practically born on the rink floor. It's where my parents met and as soon as I could walk they put wheels on my feet. I haven't skated in years though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 05:38:31 PM »
I'm better on roller blades, but I grew up skating in quads then switched. A few years ago I tried practicing and getting into roller derby, but I didn't have time. Now I just skate on occasion on roller blades since they are easy.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »
We go as a family every now and then. It's fun but it takes on a whole new element trying to avoid wiping out on little kids!

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
Unfortunetely my parents sold mine when I fractured my wrist as a kid.  I had protection on but..luck of the draw, ya know?

They wouldn't let me go to the roller rink during class trips either.  I remember it being fun though^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »
We go as a family every now and then. It's fun but it takes on a whole new element trying to avoid wiping out on little kids!
Yes, child piles. As an adult they're deathly. I wish our local rink would just have an adult only skate time...

I went from those fantastic blue and orange adjustable fischer price skates to a pair of Barbie quads. I just never had the feel for quads. I had quite the skills on blades. I enjoy the cardio as well. Now in my old age all that twisting and turning is just too much. I want to go to the local middle school and do some laps on the track, get rid of my sea legs maybe. But it is track and field season...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline FullMoonFever

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »
I had blades but I haven't touched them in years.  I've been ice skating once and was able to skate backwards while my friend who had ice skated many times kept falling when she tried :)

When I was about 12 or so I was on the skating team and I did free style and figures and dance, it was so fun, I know I can't do half of that anymore but it was a blast. 

My local rink has an adult time, but sadly it's on Sunday's from about 8PM to midnight which is very inconvenient.  Also the admission price is nuts, they charge more if you're over 14 than if you're under.

~Jenn

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »
I haven't skated in a coon's age. I need me some "old school" skates, though, as blades kind of look freaky to me.

When I was a teen, I inherited even older old school skates from my grandma when she passed on. Metal skates, metal wheels, and you use a key to lock the skates to the bottom of your shoes. Like this. That was a blast although you had to make sure you stepped over the sidewalk cracks or you're not going to enjoy it. :P

Not that I've deliberately gone skate shopping, but I usually only see blades in stores. I suppose I'd could look harder for some regular skates. :)
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »
I remember when they paved my street again when I was like 12 and my rollerblades were amazing on them, such a smooth skate. I was always a speed demon, even ice skating as a teenager. I'd go as fast as possible without reservation. I just enjoy going fast, like I've always enjoyed running so much. hahaha, that disappeared in me for skating though, I am a fearful adult now and did not AT ALL enjoy ice skating when I tried it a couple years ago and probably wouldn't like skating in a rink either. Maybe it has to do with me going super fast and someone cutting over in front of me suddenly and crashing and taking them down with me. Bruised all over my right hip ice skating one time, giant bruise. Also happened skating but I was fine from that. On the street I would again maybe. Maybe I should buy some and take it easy.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
I used to blade a lot at a rink near my home town, one of those arcade type rinks. Also, the owner had a room full of snakes behind the register that he took out sometimes.... lol

I went to a place recently in chicago that actually does 18+ only skates after 10, so I dont have to be shown up by little kids who are 20x better than me :shocked: I need to get myself my own pair though, the ones at this rink dont have the break on the front of one of them so Im bad at stopping... :blush:

Also, you know what scares me??
Women with their baby strollers out on the rink. I'm seriously scared im going to crash into them  :dizzy:

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
I don't skate, but my dog does.  :biggrin:
I used to know how to roller skate just enough to have fun at birthday parties and such at roller rinks. I'm thinking of learning again so I can skate around with my dog instead of just running after him.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline FullMoonFever

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 04:34:01 PM »
What I find scary is the prices of the skates.  Here's a link to a shop I get my gear at.  Just take a gander at the prices of wheels and boots.
http://www.conniesskateplace.com/default.asp

I bought my boots, plates and several sets of bearings from them.  If you are curious I can show off my skates!  I just need to drag em out and snap a pic of em.  They have Vanilla Tony Zane boots in pink and black.  BSB Swiss bearings, Hyper Orange Cannibal wheels (which I bought off eBay for about 1/3 their price, the person selling them thought they were skateboard wheels) And Roll Line Variant M plates, which sadly got discontinued.  They are the BEST entry level metal plates out there.  Well in my opinion :p  I love my skates sooo much, I'm going skating to a church rink tomorrow and I should have it all to myself!  HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! *coughs*

~Jenn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal