collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Calling all hobby cooks!  (Read 396 times)

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Calling all hobby cooks!
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
First off, I'm not much of a cook. I do enjoy it, though, so tonight I thought I'd give it a go and try making my own pasta sauce.

I used this recipe:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/29333/cheesy-tomato-sauce.aspx?o_is=LV

I don't think I made any mistakes with the recipe. The sauce looked just like in the picture. The problem was the taste. It was very bland and didn't taste like much of anything, even when I added more tomato puree and herbs to it. In the end, I couldn't use it at all and had to eat my pasta with store-bought tomato sauce.

So, here's the question: What could I have done to get more flavour into the sauce? Which spices / herbs can you recommend to compliment tomato? Also, please share any nice (vegetarian) pasta sauce recipes you've got. I do want to try again, but next time, I'd like to produce something edible. ;)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Calling all hobby cooks!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:23:58 AM »
I think hubby tends to add cilantro to his pasta sauces.....
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »
Herbs are a big thing, and if its a cheese, you also have to find a good flavoured one - the older the better.

I tend to go with a cheese that has been aged at least 18 months!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
Were your herbs fresh? By that I mean not old...
Although I always prefer fresh herbs when possible?

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • "She'll become a crazy cat lady!...Give her time"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
Hrmm, maybe I would jazz up this recipe with more veggies in the sauce - lightly saute some onions and celery, maybe add some grated carrot? If you want it to not be a chunky sauce, you could go with onion powder and celery salt, maybe? I'd also add fresh garlic, since I am a garlic fiend :)  Or you could caramelize onions and add them to the sauce, that would add a lot of flavor!

For a basic tomato sauce, I usually do: 1 small onion finely diced, 1-2 ribs of celery diced, couple shakes of oregano/salt/pepper/chili pepper flakes, 2 garlic cloves through a garlic press, sometimes paprika, a tiny splash of balsamic vinegar, wee bit of sugar  to balance out the acidity of the vinegar (make sure to taste while you cook to see how to adjust). If I want to make it "greek" flavored I will add capers, finely diced olives (or olive tapenade, Trader Joe's has a good one), and feta cheese!

Hahaha, now I am hungry. I love cooking!  :lovey:
:heart: Thank you to LyraHeartsrtings, Bekuno (adopts) & sunnyrain (avi) :heart:Pineapple Cupcake reference sheet!:heart:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »
Mmmm, all that is great advice! Thanks, guys!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:41:18 AM »
That recipe seems a bit weird...I have never made a pasta sauce with milk.  :huh:

pineapplecupcake's recipe sounds nice. :) My basic tomato sauce recipe is quite similar. I fry a chopped onion and couple of garlic cloves, add tinned chopped tomatoes and mixed herbs. For a spicy sauce I add paprika (or even a dash of cumin). Adding some red wine before the tomatoes gives a richer flavour. Olives always give more flavour. Yum.

For a creamy pasta bake type sauce I usually do a similar tomato sauce and stir in some soft cheese (like mascarpone, herbed creme cheese or boursin). I sometimes add soft goats cheese too, but that's more of an acquired taste.  ;)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »
Scrap it.

Sautee some garlis and onion until they sweat, then get good quality canned tomatoes and crush them. Add them in with some good quality olive oil, sugar (enough to balance out the acid in the tomatoes) salt and pepper.  Add basil, oregano or margerm (the later is milder), parsley at the very end if using fresh herbs--the more the better.  If dried, cut the amount you used in half because they are more potent.

ETA: If its too watery you can add a slurry to thicken it.  usually just cornstarch and water.  Remember that the pasta you add will have starch too.

This is all you need.  Save the cheese for topping the pasta.

Trust me.  Im Italian and am usually the one poking at tomato sauce to make it right.  Which is funny since I cant eat any of it >>

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 08:54:44 AM »
Scrap it.

Sautee some garlis and onion until they sweat, then get good quality canned tomatoes and crush them. Add them in with some good quality olive oil, sugar (enough to balance out the acid in the tomatoes) salt and pepper.  Add basil, oregano or margerm (the later is milder), parsley at the very end if using fresh herbs--the more the better.  If dried, cut the amount you used in half because they are more potent.

ETA: If its too watery you can add a slurry to thicken it.  usually just cornstarch and water.  Remember that the pasta you add will have starch too.

This is all you need.  Save the cheese for topping the pasta.

Trust me.  Im Italian and am usually the one poking at tomato sauce to make it right.  Which is funny since I cant eat any of it >>

This is pretty close to what I do, but I throw in a fresh bay leaf usually.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
Mmm, I'm getting some great advice here. Thanks!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:45:27 AM »
With that recipie I would add some salt, pepper and garlic. But I do my pasta sauce like melodys_angel, but I don't like wine so I don't use it in food either and I hate parsley. But other than that,it's pretty much the same.

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 08:30:13 AM »
My husband is pretty good at cooking!  :blush: I think its sexy! He makes stuff from scratch, he is into all that non-gmo and organic food. I like it too, but I cant cook worth diddly except desserts.

* oooh but parmesan, salt, and a pinch of basil would be GREAT with that! yum! ^-^ Maybe make a buttery version of that tomato sauce?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal