collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?  (Read 2953 times)

Ponykit

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What's Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 04:39:42 PM »
I'm indifferent.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
I don't have any BJDs (one reason is the cost, but if I really wanted one I could just put money aside. it's more that I really don't like how fragile vinyl is, and I like my dolls to sit around at random places in my house which I wouldn't be able to do with BJDs as the rooms are both very sunny and also very dust-prone), but I do have two Moxie Girlz who were rebodied on Liv bodies for enhanced articulation and to be little sisters of Moxie Teenz. the sudden height differences and changed proportions were at first strange but getting used to it was much quicker than I thought (it really went like this: I went to sleep thinking they are a little strange because the image of them right after the change was still in my head, and the next morning I woke up they were perfectly fine and adorable they way they were in their new selves, nothing strange anymore), and now I adore them. more to come soon, when I come across more dolls of the characters I'd like to have.

I also can't understand why people would bash hybrid dolls, especially why and how they'd be even considered a kind of taboo topic. I mean, what is the problem with experimenting? why can't they just get over the hybrid thing and try to look at the doll from the beauty perspective (I mean the mixup was most likely done because the owner found the doll more appealing that way. it's not necessarily just hybridisation, it's an enhancement)? also, it's up to the owner what they do with anything they paid for. yes, sometimes the topic is a little sensitive (like when the dolls in question are no longer produced and are considered rare), but that doesn't change that one should be free to do anything that pleases them with the stuff they paid for.
(as a Furby collector I have seen and heard of Furbies getting wracked, destroyed, burned and that, and it breaks my heart. but still it's not my business what others do with their toys and I don't have a word there. and hybridisation itn's even like this. it's not destroying, and it can most of the time be redone if wanted).

I'd be happy to see how your hybrid doll turns out, so I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics :)

I actually felt the same way during this. I thought he looked odd at first, but it just took some getting used to and I took a night to sleep on it. I had the same reaction to when I bought him originally too. Pullips definitely have a very unique look to them. In the end, it was more about how the facial features weren't to my taste rather than the style itself. I guess in a way I've kept the spirit of the original by using a large head. I currently want to think he's adorable...but it's hard to do while he's bald. :lol:

I've never really gotten it either, and I feel the same way that people can do what they like with their own property. I've been conflicted before in collecting on something as simple as removing a tag on a rare item, but in the end, I remember that it's mine and that I can do what I like. I like to separate the tag specifically to protect it. In this case...I was going to customize it no matter what...posting was another matter entirely.  ;) But I will post him when I'm able. I was SO close to being able to post today. The wig missed the mail truck by two hours today. Darn! At least it'll be here tomorrow.

I'm more a Barbie/Monster High type of girl myself and admittedly have no clue about the BJD world... But honestly, I see no problem at all with hybrids. I have a few Barbies with Liv bodies, and sure, the heads might look a bit small for the body... But all that matters to me is that I like them that way. 

Honestly, I don't think anyone should be giving you grief over the way you want YOUR doll to look. If you're happy with the way that head looks on that body, and you like the face-up you did, that's all that matters.

I'm still a total noob myself to BJD and dolls in general. I just tend to buy dolls of characters I like...which bring my count up to two currently. I have this hybrid and an Ever After High Cupid. :lol: Two very different dolls. When I do browse BJDs...I really only look at Dollfies. I'm definitely a fan of an anime-like style for dolls. I'll get a full one someday because I adore this head and the eyes, so I'm sure the bodies are also very nice.

I knew bringing this topic up here would be good. :) I was a bit unsure at first, but the outcome so far has really grown on me after a few nights to sleep on it, so I feel much better about him now. Even if I don't end up posting on my DA or anything...I'm definitely going to post here at least. Can't leave everyone hanging now lol.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
So I was hoping to post tonight...but this wig is just not cooperating in the slightest. I have no clue what this thing is made of and why it's not working. All the tag says is '100% High quality synthetic hair". I first tried fabric dye(Treating it as if it were nylon. As synthetic hair often is). It was in the dye about 2 full hours. Didn't darken much at all. Made a weird "Platinum blue", as I like to call it, from the royal blue dye. Then afterwards....it all instantly washed out. And I mean instantly.The only part that dyed was the fabric inside the wig.

So then I tried acrylic paint. Same thing. Just washed right out like it's nothing. So now I'm not sure what I'll do as no one seems to have dark blue wigs and this one refuses to be anything but blond so far.  :huh:

I may have to try the sharpie dye method next. Sharpie ink is indeed a force to be reckoned with, so hopefully that'll work.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:03:21 PM by Noxxbunny »

Offline Ackryllis

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 02:07:38 PM »
I don't know but could washing the wig in fabric softener, before dying, help any color to settle in?

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »
I don't know but could washing the wig in fabric softener, before dying, help any color to settle in?

I'm not sure, I've just been following tutorials on wig dying, and none of them have mentioned that as a thing. :huh: Not sure if it's worth a try at this point. I already washed it with the instructions from the tag(shampoo and conditioner with lukewarm water), so I don't know how the fabric softener would effect it now that it's already been washed with that.

Offline Ackryllis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »
Uugh. I'm so sure people at MH arena could know something >_<

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 12:26:12 AM »
So I don't know what's going on here, but apparently my area is going through the Great Sharpie Famine of 2015. Went to Walgreens, no blue and 90% of their non-neon sharpie stock is out. Went to Michael's. Even worse. 1 blue and 98% of their entire stock is out. I ended up getting two blue sharpie brush pens because it's all they had and I cannot disassemble these things to save my life.  -_- Really irritated that I wasted money on these and I don't even know if they'll work anyway. Now I have to order some online. Plain blue sharpies should not be this hard to get.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 06:25:19 AM »
So good news and bad news. Good news is that the wig finally freaking dyed. The bad news...I had my first staining accident. I had some blue left on my fingers from a full day ago, I just figured my skin was just a bit dyed and that it couldn't come off on anything(lord knows it wouldn't come off my skin with vigorous washing.) And it came off a bit on the head.  >_< Truly they live up to their reputation as stain magnets.

Luckily it's not a full blown deep dark blue and fresh kind of stain. It's a very faint light blue under his eye and the bottom of his chin. So I've quickly learned the Oxy10 method, and am trying that out first. I unfortunately don't have a heat lamp, but it's been hot and my room gets very direct sunlight for hours upon hours a day. So hopefully that'll get it out.

Dolls are hard, you guys. :cry:

I guess worst case scenario, I paint his entire head over. The skin tone of the body and head don't match exactly(they're like one tone off) and it secretly bothers me, but not enough to do anything about it. This could be my motivation if cleaning doesn't work.

I'll be able to post pictures somedaaaay.  :yikes:

Offline Ackryllis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »
If you have magic eraser that might be a quick solution? Ofcourse the face paint might wear off

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What\'s Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »
If you have magic eraser that might be a quick solution? Ofcourse the face paint might wear off

I would've tried that, but I don't own a magic eraser(been meaning to get one for ages), but I had Clearasil immediately on-hand. It's working WONDERS I'm really shocked. It's already 80% gone from just sunlight.  :biggrin: Luckily I don't have a fancy face-up to worry about since mine was really as simple as humanly possible. Easily re-done in an hour or two.

Post Merge: May 03, 2015, 02:13:03 AM

(Sorry for posting so many times in a row.  >_< )

But finally...things went my way today and I got everything together! So finally pictures! I was too excited to wait for daylight. Plus, if you guys haven't noticed my time/location, I'm a night owl with a currently reversed schedule(sleep during the day, awake at night)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm pretty happy with how my Kaito came out! He definitely has flaws from me messing up, but hey, we all start somewhere, right? And I've certainly learned from this experience for the future. For example, I need to force myself to hate blue so I never have to work with it again! :lol: Argh, I have gotten bits of blue on just about everything from the residue. Luckily the marks I got on the face came 90% off.

He was really fun to work on, and now that I've gotten used to the look, I think he looks rather cute on this body.  ^.^
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:13:03 AM by Noxxbunny »

Offline Ackryllis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 04:21:57 AM »
He looks really cute! And the blue wig is amazing. I wonder if that kind of blue is sold as nylon or something. Making a wig out of that could be somewhat safer option.
The body and the head really match. The scarf makes his neck look short somewhat.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 04:50:06 AM »
He looks really cute! And the blue wig is amazing. I wonder if that kind of blue is sold as nylon or something. Making a wig out of that could be somewhat safer option.
The body and the head really match. The scarf makes his neck look short somewhat.

I would think making a wig probably would be muuuuch a safer option! This ink will really stain everything you love if you're not careful. :lol: I went through a lot of latex gloves and it still happened a lot. I just wasn't sure if I was ready to tackle that, since I know nothing at all about wig making or good places to buy synthetic hair. I expected this process to be as simple as the fabric dye, so that's another thing I learned about from this!

The neck can actually be adjusted to sit the head a little higher, but I found I sort of like the height this way. Since a Dollfie head can't fit on this body, the neck hole on the head was modded to fit a sculpted piece I've attached to the neck peg of the body. If I raise it a bit higher, it sort of looks like he has no neck and the head looks floaty. I have to go back to it and thicken it properly when I get the chance. The attachment was originally meant for a different head I had on him before this that I ended up not liking. My Kaito has been through much experimentation with me lol. Such is the life of someone who likes customizing.

Offline Ackryllis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
Kaito turned out adorable! I am going to try my hand at a complete custom doll someday, just a little wary of things like MSC which I've heard is a must for a good custom. :/

Thanks for those links Ackryllis! :D I was looking for something just like that for a wig I wanna make one of my babies.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »
I adore hybrids myself, I think they're really fun to make. I have one BJD that's a hybrid between three companies, he took over a year to get put together, but was definitely worth it. I love how your Kaito turned out, Noxxbunny. He's one of my fave vocaloids. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal