collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, what does a pirate Pony DO?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
So, what does a pirate Pony DO?
« on: April 22, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »
Perhaps that's a stupid question, but I'll explain. I was surprised the first time I learned of the existence of a pirate Pony (Barnacle). I know kids often dream of being pirates, and I assume that's because they like the sound of the adventure and hopefully it's not because they want to go attack people and plunder stuff. But since that's what real pirates do, it does give me a raised eyebrow that there is a pirate Pony.

Of course, semi-recently we've been introduced to some fictional pirates that seem to just like the adventuring and don't go hurting people (the One Piece crew, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, etc.). Jake and the Neverland Pirates apparently even have it as part of their code that a "real" pirate doesn't take anything that doesn't belong to them. LOL!

Laughable as that is, is that the type of pirate Barnacle is? Or is he really like real pirates and attacks Ponies and plunders from them? The fact that his hat has the skull and crossbones and an eyepatch makes it seem more to me that he is the latter. And it makes me cringe to imagine him going after Ponies like that (unless he's some sort of high seas crime-fighter and goes after "real" pirates to get their loot back and return it to the rightful owners or something).

But there is one other possibility, something that came to me while I was thinking of this post. What if Barnacle isn't any kind of pirate at all and is instead an actor who entertains the kids? I remember his backcard story has him setting up something fun for the kids so they can find a treasure he hid for them, so that would fit right in with the idea.

That is so adorable it's probably going to be my headcanon for him from now on. Either that or the high seas crime-fighter idea. But what do the rest of you think? What are your headcanons for Barnacle?

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • "She'll become a crazy cat lady!...Give her time"
    • View Profile
Re: So, what does a pirate Pony DO?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
Hrmmm good question. I can't give you any definitive answers on where Barnacle gets his treasure, but according to Heck Yeah Ponyscans, he hides treasures for other ponies to find? So maybe he was independently wealthy to begin with and he is giving away his fortune one treasure hunt at a time *new headcannon*
:heart: Thank you to LyraHeartsrtings, Bekuno (adopts) & sunnyrain (avi) :heart:Pineapple Cupcake reference sheet!:heart:

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
Honestly I have always seen him as a retired pirate living somewhere nice after all the loot he stole.

Offline Delphian

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »
Hrmmm good question. I can't give you any definitive answers on where Barnacle gets his treasure, but according to Heck Yeah Ponyscans, he hides treasures for other ponies to find? So maybe he was independently wealthy to begin with and he is giving away his fortune one treasure hunt at a time *new headcannon*
That's a cute idea! I guess I just assumed Barnacle was more of a treasure hunter/sailor since that combination seems to be the most kid-friendly version of a pirate.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 04:40:28 PM »
Well, there aren't only ponies in the world in which the ponies live. So Barnacle probably loots and plunders from the other, evil creatures that are out there in the world. There are so many villains in the show who have magical artifacts and things -- if Barnacle makes it his duty to take all of those artifacts and hide them away that could be his form of piracy. :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »
I've heard that real pirates actually treated their crews significantly better than the Navy in the old "galleon-and-treasure" days.  They also democratically elected their captains.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »
I've got no guesses how Hasbro designed him. I do think the treasure hunter aspect makes sense here, though.

As for my own little pony universe, Barnacle is Princess Serena's big brother. He hated learning how to be a Prince, stowed away on a ship and ended up befriending several other ponies and going treasure hunting / exploring. They find lost treasure and give it to those in need, help other ponies find important things that have gone missing and eventually patrol the sea for threats so Serena and the other princesses can help further protect the other ponies from outside dangers.

So yeah... A mix of pony treasure hunter / explorer / crime fighter / Robin Hood or Aladin (like in Aladin 2 where he's flying over Agrubah and has all kinds of treasures on carpet and he and Abu are throwing them into the streets).

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline ShugarGlider

• Trade Count: (+74)
    • View Profile
    • NerdyCute
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:59:56 PM »
He has a good heart, and I'm sure he shares his treasure with those in needs, but I bet he still plunders and steals! He's probably got a rivalry going on with Tex, who's like the town sheriff. Tex is always locking up Barnacle, but he's always escaping and returning to his old ways.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »
So, what does a pirate Pony DO?
Whatever he wants!

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 11:46:25 PM »
I've heard that real pirates actually treated their crews significantly better than the Navy in the old "galleon-and-treasure" days.  They also democratically elected their captains.  :)

Like  :thumb:

It's always weirded me out how in FIM Rarity and Spike just dig up zillions of gems (all pre-cut) and then Spike just eats them all.

Hm, maybe the Ponies' definition of 'treasure' is more like chocolate coins and plastic-bead necklaces.  You know, the GOOD stuff :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 01:40:41 AM »
I wondered about this! Um, perhaps he's like a Robin Hood pirate, redistributing the wealth of the ruthless capitalists and bourgeoisie?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 03:03:23 AM »
I wondered about this! Um, perhaps he's like a Robin Hood pirate, redistributing the wealth of the ruthless capitalists and bourgeoisie?

Yes, a Pirate version of Robin Hood could be a very fun / interesting concept and Robin Hood has been done for kids before, so why not? :)

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 03:28:45 AM »
I've pictured Barnacle being a deep diver and salvager, blundering wrecks for anything of value.  He doesn't attack an intact ship and abhors killing, but he has little use for others' rules.  He'll go where he's not supposed to and uses the pirate motif to scare off those who might interfere.  He's also not above stealing from the living and is an accomplished thief who can get in, take his target, and get out.  Majesty has actually commissioned him as a privateer since he seems to be able to get whatever needs to be got whether it be on land or the bottom of the ocean.

He and Salty obviously don't get along.  Salty is a more by the book sailor and boat captain.  The two often get into spats over the moral code of seafarers.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
Well, there aren't only ponies in the world in which the ponies live. So Barnacle probably loots and plunders from the other, evil creatures that are out there in the world. There are so many villains in the show who have magical artifacts and things -- if Barnacle makes it his duty to take all of those artifacts and hide them away that could be his form of piracy. :)

So he's a seafaring Robin Hood?  :)

Offline Ionn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Horse Shaped Object Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
I've pictured Barnacle being a deep diver and salvager, blundering wrecks for anything of value.  He doesn't attack an intact ship and abhors killing, but he has little use for others' rules.  He'll go where he's not supposed to and uses the pirate motif to scare off those who might interfere.  He's also not above stealing from the living and is an accomplished thief who can get in, take his target, and get out.  Majesty has actually commissioned him as a privateer since he seems to be able to get whatever needs to be got whether it be on land or the bottom of the ocean.

He and Salty obviously don't get along.  Salty is a more by the book sailor and boat captain.  The two often get into spats over the moral code of seafarers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal