collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Custom question- g4 twinkle eyes construction question  (Read 689 times)

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Custom question- g4 twinkle eyes construction question
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:03:13 AM »

So I've been really considering making some g4 twinkle eyes. And I've been mentally going over some things.

Just gluing on flat backed rhinestones might be the easiest way, but I really don't like how those look? Not to mention gluing something that flat to a slightly curved surface might leave some little gaps. Not a big deal, I guess, but I know it would be something that bothers me.

I've seen some people take fake gems and glue the table of the gem to the eye and have the pointy bit facing out, and I also don't like that.

So that leads to my question. I'm thinking of drilling holes into where the eye would be and setting the stone in.
I've never taken apart a G4 and have no idea if that'd be even possible to do to them.
Does anyone have any insight on how G4s are built in the inside? And if something like that would be even doable? I figured I'd ask before I go and mutilate some poor pony.
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

shintoji

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Custom question- g4 twinkle eyes construction question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:11:05 AM »
g4 ponies are hollow on the inside of their heads, so if you were to drill a hole (would probably be much easier to cut one with a razor blade, as the vinyl is very soft and flexible) you'd need to use some kind of air-dry clay to make a little place for the gemstone to rest inside of the head.

Offline gold.standard

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:18:17 AM »
g4 ponies are hollow on the inside of their heads, so if you were to drill a hole (would probably be much easier to cut one with a razor blade, as the vinyl is very soft and flexible) you'd need to use some kind of air-dry clay to make a little place for the gemstone to rest inside of the head.
Thank you! I figured they were at least partially hollow or something because of the hair, but I didn't want to go in guns a blazing only to find out I can't install eyes like you can on a bjd haha.
Thanks again!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:13:40 AM »
You just need an inexpensive Dremmel to make a small indentation. This will allow you to inset the eyes slightly. You can also make the eye larger by painting part of the pupil.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline gold.standard

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »
You just need an inexpensive Dremmel to make a small indentation. This will allow you to inset the eyes slightly. You can also make the eye larger by painting part of the pupil.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Oh gosh those are so beautiful!
Thank you for the advice!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal