collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Strange MGR Diamond Dreams?  (Read 1956 times)

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Strange MGR Diamond Dreams?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »
Skeen - she's lovely!  :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »

Mine has lighter purple paint...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
Aw Skeen, she is stunning!!  :)

This is a really interesting video from another thread about how G1 ponies were manufactured.  It shows how designs are painted on in a toy factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp9yEV7pjmY

Interesting video, but it really bothers me he keeps calling the figure Alvin. That's Simon, silly! ;D

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »
I have seen her all shades from that beautiful intense purple on Skeens down to the ligher colour. I think its just batch differences combined with colour fading. Reds and particularly purples are the absolute worst for it. Its possible that she was originally printed with 2 different paint batches and over the years one has reacted differently to conditions than the other - hence the difference. Sometimes you can see something like this if you paint a wall with a certain colour and then touch it up a couple of weeks later with the same colour but from a different pot - leave it a few years and there can be distinct differences in the 2 paints that originally looked the same.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Truly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »
I have seen her all shades from that beautiful intense purple on Skeens down to the ligher colour. I think its just batch differences combined with colour fading. Reds and particularly purples are the absolute worst for it. Its possible that she was originally printed with 2 different paint batches and over the years one has reacted differently to conditions than the other - hence the difference. Sometimes you can see something like this if you paint a wall with a certain colour and then touch it up a couple of weeks later with the same colour but from a different pot - leave it a few years and there can be distinct differences in the 2 paints that originally looked the same.

I do agree with this idea, but there's one issue, she recently got a scratch on her symbol because i had to move her between different houses with other ponies, and underneath the pink diamond within the circles the pink scratched off and underneath was the exact shade of purple she has on the rest of her. Not sure what it means but it's interesting, (and upsetting as I accidentally caused a scratch and that fakie that rubbed it looks pretty smug about it!) I tried to take photos up close and it kind of worked hehe :P

These two first photos are of the diamond that got the pink scratched off, the purple underneath is exactly the same shade as the rest of the purple, could it have faded even protected under a thick layer of paint? Other paint rubs on her show the same shade of purple is underneath, all over.

Here's a few better close ups of the indigo/blue patches, I tried to scratch them off again to see if it was indeed touch ups, but it wont budge, and it has no sealant over it and is so smooth with the rest of the paint.

And comparing to sparkler, the paint feels the same as Sparkler's all nice and smooth

I kind of think that she was a "made on a friday afternoon when everyone wanted to just go home" pony as her paint job is very messy compared to my other MGR ponies (not that shes horrible she's still gorgeous).

One last thing, is it normal for this pose to have numbers inside her neck plug? she has "H-29" in raised letters in the plastic. I can't get Sparklers' head off to check, anyone happen to have a MGR pony with an already loose head? Other ponies I checked have no numbers whatsoever but they're not in the same pose. Are the numbers normal?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
This thread is unfortunately reminding me that I love and do not have any of the MGR ponies...  :lookround:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
No sorry :) You cant deny that she clearly has 2 different colours of paint on her. What I meant is that initially those colours could have been very close in colour and over time they have been affected differently by something to make them appear different in shade. Inks can change without exposure to sunlight - chemical content of what they are painted on, their own blend, heat and various other things can cause issue.

Colour underneath is normal - its called laydown factor. Its more economical (even though it often uses more paint) to lay down a base colour and built other colours over the top of it in order to build the finished design (plus some inks need a backer) rather than lining things up and using more complicated print plates.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal