collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Saltwater Aquariums  (Read 891 times)

Scooterbec122

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Saltwater Aquariums
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 06:32:51 AM »
I absolutely adore your seahorses! I've never been brave enough to attempt a SW tank, but I've got my gladiator red bellied piranha, Ursula. She's a spoiled diva with refined tastes...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ooh nice teeth! She is really neat and I love the name :)

DemureGirl

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
Ohh! sea horses! How beautiful! I wouldn't know where to begin with a marine aquarium - I'm envious! :P

I have three tropical tanks. One with four female platy, two elephant snails, some Kuhli loaches, a group of amano shrimp, a vampire shrimp called Bram and a Nerite snail named Crunch (he was accidentally acquired when I bought the elephant snails. He was attached to one and we didn't realize until we got home. His shell was badly damaged by something so I thought the name Crunch suited him. He looks like he has been!)

In the next tank is a group of male Platys and two vampire shrimp named Antiochus and Statonices

In the third and final tank is one Bamboo shrimp, four orange cherries (plus an unknown number of baby ones) and about ten crystal red bee shrimp (again with tiny tiny babies)
Tiny baby shrimp photo:

Sadly we have had some bad luck recently in our tanks though. First, our eldest platy, a beautiful Calico, passed away after a long and happy life. She was my first platy (along with her mate Sunburst who is still going strong) and she was well loved. Very happy she passed peacefully though
Calico the day I bought her:

Then today we lost another platy, a much younger one. He was born in my tank and his mother died about a month after having him and his brother. She was a beautiful high fin mickey mouse platy but had a deformed hunched back thanks to dodgey genetics which is what killed her. This little guy we lost today had tragically inherited his mothers deformity and it killed him too :(

Scooterbec122

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »
Aww I'm sorry your fish passed away :(  I really like platys. My mom use to raise those and guppies. They are beautiful fish love your little baby shrimp. So cute! I had never heard of a vampire shrimp, how neat!

DemureGirl

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 06:13:26 AM »
It can't be helped. Just feel bad for the boy since he was still quite young. Though I can't say I was surprised since his mum went the same way.

I love platys! I'd never had a fish tank before (well, I had a cold water with goldfish when I was about 5) and I wanted something that was hardy. I did loads of research on good beginners fish and decided that platys sounded fun. I first picked out Calico and Sunburst (after cycling the tank of course!) and then bought two more girls Rainbow and Disney (the boy who just passed away's mother). They were all named after their colours, aside from Disney who was a sickly high-fin mickey mouse, hence Disney. All of my current platys are descended from those four. Sunburst fathered most and is still going strong.

The vampires are amazing and I was highly recommend them. They are sweethearts and quite shy. the name vampire is quite unfair on them since they probably the least predatory thing in the aquarium trade!
Antiochus:

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 06:35:10 PM »
I haven't had an aquarium in a very long time. I used to work in the fish section of a pet store, so I got all of my fishy needs and interests out of the way pretty quickly. My mom has several aquariums, though (I think right now she only has freshwater). She has one tank full of Angelfish, and one of them has been alive for around 10 years! He's really big, of course. :)

It's nice to see so many people who know how to take care of their fish, though! I've seen so many people who do NOT know how to care for fish (especially in carelessly kept pet stores) and they make my heart hurt.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal