collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Departing for: Netherlands, Belgium, France and Germany!  (Read 716 times)

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Departing for: Netherlands, Belgium, France and Germany!
« on: April 06, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »
*Update: Thanks all, we are on our way!

[[We leave the US on April 16. My husband and I are planning on traveling light and keeping a flexible schedule, so we'd like to hitchhike whenever possible (to save on money, to meet local people, to see the counties more etc).

Is hitchhiking safe? How to go about it?

Is it safe to "couchsurf" and stay with locals met online?

Of course, any tips on pony hunting in these countries is welcome as well!

We are staying three weeks with no real solid plans except to see the tulips in the Netherlands. We are arriving in Amsterdam April 17th early, and training to Lisse. Maybe two days there, then wander (hitchhike) down to Bruges I think, then (hitchike) down through the French countryside for a few days and then into the Black Forest area of Germany for maybe a week or so, then back north along the Rhine to the Netherlands and Amsterdam for the last 4-5 days of the trip (this is pretty set- we have plans to meet with some Arena members for a pony swap!).

So as you can see, plans are pretty loosey goosey. We like to play things by ear and travel light- so any suggestions on safety or "don't miss" sites (and pony finding places) are welcome! Also, if you'd like to get involved in the pony swaps from here and there, please click on the link in my sig!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:53:44 AM by ponyqueen »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • "She'll become a crazy cat lady!...Give her time"
    • View Profile
Re: I need travel advice for Netherlands, Belgium, France and Germany!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 01:35:56 PM »
Ooh, exciting - I love travelling and Europe, especially. I haven't done any hitchhiking through Europe so I don't know how easy or safe it is but I do recommend taking the local buses around, as well as busing from city to city or country to country. I found that was the cheapest way to travel around, and you meet interesting people. Plus, it is a lot more affordable than taking the train, although it does take longer.
In my experience, couchsurfing is generally safe and a good way to meet local people. Also, I would check out Air BnB if you can't find a good hostel or a couchsurfing person to stay with - sometimes you can find really great deals.
I highly recommend checking out Rick Steves' stuff online (https://www.ricksteves.com/) - he has some great packing guides and his tour books are awesome. I would go and make copies of the walking guides from the cities you will be for sure visiting from his books if your local library has any of his stuff or I think he offers some mp3 city walking tours for free on his site? 
Also, I really recommend buying a travel towel. It's the best investment you can make because they dry fast, pack up teeny tiny and you can use them for a ton of things like a towel if you go swimming, picnic blanket, extra blanket if you're cold in a hostel, etc. I thought they were totally gimmick-y but then found that it was one of the most useful things I've brought with me on several trips to Europe!
Bruges is super gorgeous in Belgium, you're going to love it! Be sure to have the chocolate there, it is expensive but worth it! If you are going to the Black Forest, I would definitely go to Rothenberg (Rothenburg ob der Tauber) - it's a well preserved medieval town that has all that characteristic charming fairy-tale look to it.
Have fun!!  :)
:heart: Thank you to LyraHeartsrtings, Bekuno (adopts) & sunnyrain (avi) :heart:Pineapple Cupcake reference sheet!:heart:

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:12:22 AM »
pineapplecupcake- thanks for the notes! I found one Rick Steves books... I think it was upon his recommendation that we visit Bruges, so that is a goal. Great idea to copy some walking maps! We're big walkers on vacation. I think we average about 10 miles a day?

And thanks for the review on travel towels... I researched them before going on a three week to Japan but ultimately decided against it... but of course they would have been far superior to the standard washcloths we bought. I'll have to make a trip to REI...or Amazon! to pick up a towel or two for this trip!  :biggrin:

All your notes are going into my travel journal now! :nerdy:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
That sounds so exciting! I hope you'll get pics for us!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:22:25 AM »
Thanks! I'll hopefully be taking pics of ponies! :good:

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
Hmm, I'm probably a bad tourist in my own country. Lisse is (next to the flower fields) not that interesting (will you be going to the Keukenhof?). I'm close to the town of Leiden myself (10 mins from Lisse by train). So I know the most about that region. Leiden was quite important during the Dutch Golden-Age as has some very nice architecture left (and a tiny 'shell-castle' type). I think The Hague is too far off route to visit?  Most people usually stick to Amsterdam which is a shame, because there are lots of old towns left that have the same elements (not museums) and are really lovely :) (and not so touristy).

But if you're following the Rhine back to Amsterdam you'll get close to the city Nijmegen. It's a city that's one of the oldest of the Netherlands with Roman roots :) Utrecht is a nice city as well (one I've been more to than Amsterdam because there aren't as many tourists XD ).

I know some people who hitchhiked to France and that went fine. Never done it myself (I'm a train person).

Above all that. We Dutch are cycling nerds. You can rent them anywhere if you want to :) Just don't get hit by one in Amsterdam... or any other town...in that case... because cyclists are (most of the time) complete idiots (including me).

Belgium wise... I've only been to Antwerpen (Antwerp in English?)  It's very nice :)

Just poke me over the PM if you want more info about any of those cities :) Or if there is anything else you'd like to know more about.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:11:05 AM by Moonbreeze »

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 10:44:44 AM »
I went to high school in Lisse for 5 years and lived in a town closeby for 10, so if there's anything you want to know about that region do PM me :) I agree with Moonbreeze though, the area is not very interesting if you're looking for some culture (the dunes and flower fields are lovely). I do recommend Leiden, it's close by and has some amazing lovely places. If you visit it, do go to some of the 'hofjes', for example the 'Sint Anna's Gasthuishof' is so beautiful, you have to see it!

As for other things in The Netherlands, I think Moonbreeze covered most of it. Try other towns apart from Amsterdam. Utrecht is a 30 minute train ride away and is beautiful as well (and less tourists!). Maybe you can visit castle 'De Haar', it's close to Utrecht and so beautiful! Amsterdam is of course amazing and has some amazing parts, but it's very crowded in the city centre.

Bruges is very cute, but maybe you could also try visiting Ghent. It's quite a bit larger and has lovely architecture. Do make a boat ride there, it's gorgeous!

Have fun on your visit!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:47:34 AM by Aienhime »

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • "She'll become a crazy cat lady!...Give her time"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »
All your notes are going into my travel journal now! :nerdy:

Haha, glad that my ideas were helpful! :) You are going to have such an awesome trip, take lots of photos for me!
:heart: Thank you to LyraHeartsrtings, Bekuno (adopts) & sunnyrain (avi) :heart:Pineapple Cupcake reference sheet!:heart:

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »
Spoiler
Ooh, exciting - I love travelling and Europe, especially. I haven't done any hitchhiking through Europe so I don't know how easy or safe it is but I do recommend taking the local buses around, as well as busing from city to city or country to country. I found that was the cheapest way to travel around, and you meet interesting people. Plus, it is a lot more affordable than taking the train, although it does take longer.
In my experience, couchsurfing is generally safe and a good way to meet local people. Also, I would check out Air BnB if you can't find a good hostel or a couchsurfing person to stay with - sometimes you can find really great deals.
I highly recommend checking out Rick Steves' stuff online (https://www.ricksteves.com/) - he has some great packing guides and his tour books are awesome. I would go and make copies of the walking guides from the cities you will be for sure visiting from his books if your local library has any of his stuff or I think he offers some mp3 city walking tours for free on his site? 
Also, I really recommend buying a travel towel. It's the best investment you can make because they dry fast, pack up teeny tiny and you can use them for a ton of things like a towel if you go swimming, picnic blanket, extra blanket if you're cold in a hostel, etc. I thought they were totally gimmick-y but then found that it was one of the most useful things I've brought with me on several trips to Europe!
Bruges is super gorgeous in Belgium, you're going to love it! Be sure to have the chocolate there, it is expensive but worth it! If you are going to the Black Forest, I would definitely go to Rothenberg (Rothenburg ob der Tauber) - it's a well preserved medieval town that has all that characteristic charming fairy-tale look to it.
Have fun!!  :)

Just found a bunch of videos on the Rick Steves site... I know how I'm spending this weekend!!

Also, I ordered two travel towels from Amazon. They didn't have any in my preferred "travel color" (orange), but I got a very nice sky blue color. Excited to try them out!

Post Merge: April 10, 2015, 12:47:32 PM

Spoiler
Hmm, I'm probably a bad tourist in my own country. Lisse is (next to the flower fields) not that interesting (will you be going to the Keukenhof?). I'm close to the town of Leiden myself (10 mins from Lisse by train). So I know the most about that region. Leiden was quite important during the Dutch Golden-Age as has some very nice architecture left (and a tiny 'shell-castle' type). I think The Hague is too far off route to visit?  Most people usually stick to Amsterdam which is a shame, because there are lots of old towns left that have the same elements (not museums) and are really lovely :) (and not so touristy).

But if you're following the Rhine back to Amsterdam you'll get close to the city Nijmegen. It's a city that's one of the oldest of the Netherlands with Roman roots :) Utrecht is a nice city as well (one I've been more to than Amsterdam because there aren't as many tourists XD ).

I know some people who hitchhiked to France and that went fine. Never done it myself (I'm a train person).

Above all that. We Dutch are cycling nerds. You can rent them anywhere if you want to :) Just don't get hit by one in Amsterdam... or any other town...in that case... because cyclists are (most of the time) complete idiots (including me).

Belgium wise... I've only been to Antwerpen (Antwerp in English?)  It's very nice :)

Just poke me over the PM if you want more info about any of those cities :) Or if there is anything else you'd like to know more about.

Thanks for all the notes! We will be going to Lisse for the Keukenhof flower fields, then onto somewhere else. Perhaps Leiden? Or the Hague? Or? We seriously don't have solid plans- no hotel reservations or train tickets or anything.  :lol: Just looking at a map, I think we could definitely make it to both places.  :biggrin:

Oooo I love the sound of both Nijmegen and Utrecht. Nijmegen is high on the list also because of the Think Pink which was also recommended here!

I love biking! I bike most everywhere in my city (when it's not snowing- sorry to say I'm not that hardcore...yet). We'll look into renting bikes!

Question- Is theft a problem in towns outside Amsterdam? Like bike theft, or theft of things from bike baskets?

Post Merge: April 10, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

Spoiler
I went to high school in Lisse for 5 years and lived in a town closeby for 10, so if there's anything you want to know about that region do PM me :) I agree with Moonbreeze though, the area is not very interesting if you're looking for some culture (the dunes and flower fields are lovely). I do recommend Leiden, it's close by and has some amazing lovely places. If you visit it, do go to some of the 'hofjes', for example the 'Sint Anna's Gasthuishof' is so beautiful, you have to see it!

As for other things in The Netherlands, I think Moonbreeze covered most of it. Try other towns apart from Amsterdam. Utrecht is a 30 minute train ride away and is beautiful as well (and less tourists!). Maybe you can visit castle 'De Haar', it's close to Utrecht and so beautiful! Amsterdam is of course amazing and has some amazing parts, but it's very crowded in the city centre.

Bruges is very cute, but maybe you could also try visiting Ghent. It's quite a bit larger and has lovely architecture. Do make a boat ride there, it's gorgeous!

Have fun on your visit!

All towns, sites, and activities noted- thanks for your input!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:54:35 PM by ponyqueen »

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »
I won't try hitchhiking in France, not that it is particulary unsafe but we have these amazing public transportation system so try buses instead or trains. I don't know the north of France very well, but if you plan to go to Germany after, then you coulf make a stop to some of our pretty eastern towns like Reims, Nancy or Strasbourg. And of course there is Paris.

Couchsurfing is safe, but Air BnB is a good option too.

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »

Question- Is theft a problem in towns outside Amsterdam? Like bike theft, or theft of things from bike baskets?

Well, don't leave things in your bike basket for sure, and don't ever leave your luggage unattended. Theft is not a -big- issue here; I mean, in my 29,5 years here I've never been robbed or anything, but I did have two bikes stolen (granted, I did leave one unattended at a bus station without proper locks). Lock your bikes and keep an eye on your belongings though, and you should be fine. :)

As for hitchhiking, it's not very common here I think? I hardly ever see hitchhikers. I've never done it before either, so I don't know if it is safe or not. Public transport is great here though, I don't think there's any need to hitchhike!

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »
Miss_Pompon and Aienhime- Thanks for the recommendations on public transit! We will familiarize ourselves with the bus schedules/routes before we leave!  :biggrin:

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 02:42:36 AM »
If you need any help with translation or to understand french public transportation system, just send me a pm ;)

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »
Thanks everyone! I have all the advice recorded in my travel journal, and we head to the airport in 15 minutes! I look forward to the adventure!

Tot ziens!

:heart: pq

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Departing for: Netherlands, Belgium, France and Germany!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
Have a wonderful trip!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal