collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Giant Plush torn around embroidery?  (Read 494 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Giant Plush torn around embroidery?
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »
Hi,

I've got a giant G3 Plush Wysteria that I was intending on selling but then I noticed she has tearing around her embroidered symbol.
Can anyone suggest a fix for this? I'm worried she's too thin to sew back together without ruining the symbol more. Would fabric glue very carefully applied and pinched restore her? Or does she perhaps need to be destuffed and fixed from the inside?

On top of that can I get a PC? I saw she was recently priced at $120US but in this condition where does she sit? She has minimal staining (you can see the worst spot in the photo), eyes and the rest of her perfect, still stands. Am I likely to find a buyer with her as-is or would it be best to fix her first?

Cheers  ^.^

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:12:47 PM by Tulips »
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Plush torn around embroidery?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:46:36 PM »
Wow, I've never seen damage like that. I couldn't say whether it would be best to fix or to sell - good condition giants seem to be in demand, but shipping is killer and with damage she might take quite a knock to the price.

I would suggest the best fix may be destuffing, turning her inside out, and then putting a big square of iron-on mending fabric on the inside. That should hold everything down and stick it together pretty good. Then do a somewhat lighter job on the restuffing so there's not too much pressure inside her rump. While you have her destuffed and before fixing the damage it would be an optimal time to have a go at washing out those stains - if you destuff her entirely I have heard that other collectors put giant skins through the washing machine without any troubles. I would put her inside of a pillow case or a linen bag during the wash though. Then when she's all squeaky clean and dry you could start on the mending.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
Iron-on fabric might work, good idea. ^.^ Though I'm not looking forward to de-stuffing :P
I've de-stuffed before posting internationally before but I've never put one through the wash, I'd be terrified of destroying her even on the gentlest cycle.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
Looks like stretch damage to me - embroidery can weaken a fabric, particularly a stretchy one like the large plush have, since it makes a lot of little holes and then you end up with strips of non-flexible area mixed in.  If Wysteria was played with roughly, like one kid pulling on either side, it might cause that kind of damage.  Iron-on reinforcement is probably the best way to go, since it'll show the least on the outside. I'd maybe see about bringing the fabric sides back together with some fine stitching first, just to help keep things in place before patching as well.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 02:38:07 PM »
I would second prancingstag's suggestion of an internal patch to hold her together being the best option.

With that issue and staining on the body, I think it will knock her quite a bit in price. The problem is she is expensive to ship. So if someone is going to shell out a small fortune to get her delivered they will often simply wait for one in as good a condition as possible. If that makes sense? It always seems to be expensive to ship items with any issues can be tough to sell if they have any kind of problem.

She will certainly find a buyer however :) I would still expect the $75 mark for her.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal