collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can I see your chicken coop?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Can I see your chicken coop?
« on: April 01, 2015, 01:55:26 PM »
I want chickens. I wasn't thrilled with the pre-made ones they had at my local store, and I'd rather build one myself anyway. I'd love pics and advice about coops! (I also want to make a chicken tractor :D ). Thanks!

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
Re: Can I see your chicken coop?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »
I don't think I have any photos of mine, but its a wooden structure that's tall enough to go inside, with a wooden floor, and wired in pen.

I would go chicken tractor all the way! Growing up we had to shovel out the coop, and there is nothing worse lol.

UnicornCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:26:28 PM »
I would reccomend you get a good decently made, fox proof one.
Last week, foxes killed 24 of our chickenes, and last night, took two of our most expensive hens.

Just remember this is spring, foxes are having cubs and always on the look out for easy food. Chickens being the easiest.

I would probally reccomend buying a top-end one, thats VERY heavy, and fox proof, wired, the lot!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »
I've got a homemade chicken tractor for my hens, but I can't get pictures of it for the next couple of days (probably) because of the yucky weather we're having.  I can say that you really do want to use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire for the "fence" portion of it.  It's much more durable (we've had a neighbor's 90 pound dog rebound off the side of it without it so much as bending).  We came up with our design by google searching other people's tractors and picking and choosing the things we liked about them :)

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »
My chickens free range. I keep them in at night, in a rabbit cage (the type with a solid plastic floor), and let them out in the morning. In the evening, I go out and call them, and they put themselves into the cage for the night. The cage itself stays in the shed/barn. For the last four years, we had two laying hens. Last summer one was taken by a hawk. So this spring I got two new hens, and a rooster, so now we have four chickens. Hoping to have some fluffball chicks once the rooster is old enough to know what he is supposed to do. He's only about five months old now. Just starting to get his tail.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice so far! :)

Ucandy: I live in the suburbs and I don't think we have any foxes here at all, but we do have skunks and raccoon and definitely hawks (and vultures). I'll include extra security in my planning. Sorry about your chickens :( that is super sad.

Katika, I'd love to see pix when the weather's nicer. Thanks for the advice, I was planning on the cloth because all the coops seem to use it these days, but its good to know about the durability.

Does anyone have a goose/duck along with their chickens>

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:51:10 PM »
Ooh following this topic! DD wants chickens when we move :)

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Yay, chickens! I have an obsession have been raising them for eight years, and although I'm by no means an expert, I hope the advice I offer here can help you. There is a lot of information that all owners need to learn, and even breeders who have been in the field for a while can be overwhelmed at times. I'll try to keep this simple, lol!

I assume that you've already done the basic research, but if you haven't:

• Check your zoning rules. Even if you live in the country, your county may have rules that apply to all residents, regardless of your environment. Some may permit you to own a few hens and a rooster, and stricter areas may not allow you to have any.

• Why do you want chickens? Do you want them for meat and/or egg production, show purposes or just as pets? My Pet Chicken has an excellent breed recommendation tool that covers all breeds recognized by the APA (American Poultry Association) that can be found here:
http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
**I advise staying away from Orpingtons. Although sweet, they don't handle hot weather well and can often develop heart or crop problems.

• Invest in a good quality chick starter feed - I whole-heartedly recommend Nutrena, NOT Purina.
There is little difference between the brands' lay feeds. However, Purina's chick starter, Start & Grow, is protein-free. As feathers are comprised primarily of protein, feathering chicks need extra protein during their growth to help them develop strong, silky feathers. My month-old chicks were feathering at a horribly slow rate, but once I switched them to Nutrena's 18% protein medicated starter, I saw progress within a day. They are now almost entirely feathered, whereas they had little more than chick fluff before.

If you're not sure that you're going to raise chickens long-term, be sure to use a coop-design that can be transformed into another building - i.e., a dog house, storage shed, or a greenhouse. Chicken coops, regardless of size or quality, are often hard to sell. Many owners make the mistake of building/purchasing coops that can't be used for anything other than housing chickens, and can't get rid of it when they want to.

Before you build your coop, there are a few points you'll want to keep in mind.

• What direction does the wind typically blow in? For example, where I live, storms and wind almost always blow in from the west, so my coop is built where the back is facing against the storms.

• Your coop size will need to compensate for the amount of birds you own.

• Learn what predators you have in your area - this includes other domestic animals, such as dogs, cats, and even livestock; I lost a hen to cows once. Be sure to check the surrounding area and objects for any potential danger; I've failed to do this and lost birds to chicken hawks and a bobcat as a result.
(Be aware that if you lose a bird to a predator, it has found an easy source of food and will return.)

Regardless of what anyone tells you, never house a duck or goose with your chickens. I have both, and allowing my chickens to roam free around them was the biggest mistake I ever made. Not only to they make a horrible mess of the food and water, but the goose takes great pleasure in hurting my chickens. She's pulled out tails, created bald patches, and once broke a wing on a bird. Needless to say, the chickens are now locked up if she is loose.

• What bedding material are you going to use? While straw can be dusty at times, it absorbs moisture well and is my ideal bedding choice. Never use moldy straw in your coop for any reason! Alternatively, you could use pine shavings. I use these only in my nest boxes, as I can use a litter scoop to clean out any droppings.
**Never use cedar shavings, the sap is toxic to chickens!

• You will need to keep your coop clean, not only to provide a healthy environment for your birds, but to keep your neighbors happy as well. To help control odors, sprinkle a light coat of zeolite/Sweet PDZ on the floor and in the nesting boxes.

Still with me? ;) When it comes to purchasing chicks, purchase only the healthy and average-looking birds. Never purchase a bird that has weeping nostrils/eyes, missing toes, or appears sickly or inactive. If you're purchasing from a breeder, check their environment. Are the birds provided with fresh food and water? Are the houses/brooder boxes clean? Do the birds appear healthy, lively and alert?

(I'm going to temporarily go off-topic to discuss a subject that often ensnares many new chicken owners. There are two important categories of chickens, production and heritage. Production fowl are the kind bred by hatcheries, hence their name. They're very common and often have messy gene pools. Heritage fowl, on the other hand, are rare birds bred to the original standards of their breed and are very different from their modern counterparts in many ways, including appearance, egg production, size and personality. For example, take a look at this production Rhode Island Red. (First photo.)

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Rhode-Island-Red-p228.aspx

Now go into this thread and look at the photos posted by the members there. See the difference in color, shape, and size?
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site

The reason I'm telling you the difference between these is not only to spread awareness of these rare strains, but to warn you against dishonest sellers who try to pass their production stock off as heritage. Because of their rarity, heritage fowl are often pricy (I paid $100 for a breeding quartet of HRIR, for example) and some sellers try to take advantage of folks who can't tell the difference.)

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation in the chicken world, and rumors/old wives' tales are still prevalent. Be sure to take your information from a reputable source. I recommend reading the following:

• Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow
• Dummies Guide to Chickens

Backyardchickens.com is an excellent online forum for chicken owners, breeders and hobbyists alike. If you decide to join, send me a PM - my username there is Feathyr - and I will give you a list of reputable members who offer truthful tips and advice, as well as point you to important threads and the like.
(This goes for anyone, not just the original poster! I don't bite.)

In my next post I will discuss coop designs and show pictures of mine.

Post Merge: April 01, 2015, 09:11:58 PM

There are thousands of chicken coop designs online, many of which can be modified for your own needs and preferences. But there are a few things that you should keep in your design:

• Roosts should be no higher than a foot off the ground. Chickens will try to roost as high as they possibly can, and can break their legs when they fly or fall off from such a height.

• Your coop should be lifted off the ground a few inches to prevent the underside from rotting and protect from rodents. However, this can create a potential hiding space for predators - be sure to block it off with chicken wire/hardware cloth, or rocks.

• A good chicken coop has excellent ventilation. How much you need will depend on your climate; for example, my coop was well-ventilated in California's central coast, but here in western Idaho, not so much! :( If your coop has mold or spiderwebs, it doesn't have enough air flow. Aside from restricting mold growth, good ventilation will improve respiratory health; as well as allow excess moisture out of your coop. Excess moisture will cause frostbite.

BYC has a whole section dedicated to coops. There are some tractor designs too; I can't speak for tractors as I haven't yet used them.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

This is the most recent picture of my coop, taken in December. It was based off an online design and modified for my needs. The dimensions are 8' x 12'; 7'11" tall, and it comfortably houses over forty adult birds throughout the whole building. (In the back part, it comfortably houses about twenty-five.) Had we built it any larger, we would have had to pay for a California building permit.
It was built seven years ago and is holding up nicely. The best part? It was all built for under $2000.

(The hot water tank core and windmill are just for decorative purposes. The coop was recently painted to match the house, but we still haven't gotten around to painting the door red.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

While roomy, it doesn't have enough ventilation. There are vents on the bottom of the floor and, of course, the cupola, but we should have extended the cupola all the way across the roof for more airflow.

This coop was originally designed to hold supplies in the front and the fowl in the back. Lids attached to the top of the nest boxes allowed me to collect eggs without stepping inside the chicken area. See the following pictures:

When we moved, however, I obtained a new supply shed and moved all chickens in both halves of the coop. The layer stock go in the back, while my pets and breeding stock go in the front.

As you can see, there is a welded run frame extending behind the coop, we haven't yet had time to install the chicken wire. This is what it originally looked like. I don't know of any better pictures; but it has a small door on the opposite side that allows me access to the run.

Since I obviously don't have the run built, I run my layer birds in a portable run made by Premier1. While pricy, they hold up well and many models contain hotwires, which allow you to electrify your fence if you need to.

So where do all of my breeding stock and misc. birds go? They walk past the supply shed to a small run that was originally used to house sheep.

I apologize for writing a small novel! I've learned a lot, through trial and error, and want to share that information with others so that they don't make the same mistakes I did. Best of luck with your birds, and please keep us updated!

(I demand pictures.  :P )

**Also, I apologize if anything is strangely worded or misspelled. I have a head cold, and my brain is horribly muddled.**
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:20:35 PM by Sundown »
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:30:02 AM »
This is my chicken coop!!! :

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
Here's ours below.  We live in the city- so we don't have foxes, we have raccoons (who love eating chickens).  And having a fence around the coop is not enough- because a coon will pull the chicken through...

So we have a sturdy coop where the girls can be closed up at night (chickens naturally go into their coop at nightfall so we just shut the door).  And then that coop is inside a chain link fence (actually a dog kennel we bought used from craigs list for cheap).  And then we added a roof on top.

We only ever have 3 chickens at a time (since we live in a city) so we only have one nest box. (if we had more boxes- they would still just fight over the same "favorite" box every time).

We had our coop built- but there are a lot of pre-fab coops these days- even at Costco.com!  But most of the prefab coops are really too small, even for just three birds.

Chickens are super fun to keep- they are funny, personable beasts- and their eggs are SOOOOO GOOD.  My wife actually kept a blog for a while when we FIRST got chickens- you are welcome to read about our experiences if you want - or at least look at pictures of baby chicks.  Luckily my wife is a writer, so is more interesting say than if I had written it :D
http://flosfriends.blogspot.com/

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »
Slllliiiiightly off topic but I'm considering ducks versus chickens.  I would probably get Peking ducks starting with 1 male and 1 female and maybe get another female later.  I live in the suburbs on 1 acre with wildlife in the area.  Anyone keep ducks?  Advantages to ducks over chickens or vice versa?

Awesome coops and info everyone!

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
I don't have chickens, but I do have ducks! This is a pic of their yard with attached house they sleep in at night (fully secure). We live out in the country and have foxes, badgers, and hawks around here that could potentially get to them when I'm not around. Hence, they have their own Fort Knox complete with electric fence. The top is also covered with chicken wire. Haven't lost a duck yet! ;)

Slllliiiiightly off topic but I'm considering ducks versus chickens.  I would probably get Peking ducks starting with 1 male and 1 female and maybe get another female later.  I live in the suburbs on 1 acre with wildlife in the area.  Anyone keep ducks?  Advantages to ducks over chickens or vice versa?

Awesome coops and info everyone!

Ducks are awesome!!! I'm a huge duck lover myself. I would suggest getting the two females for the male right off. Breeding season can take quite a toll on the females and you really need at least two for each male so they can share the burden of the over-zealous drakes. Females can be seriously injured or even killed by overbreeding. It can sometimes be difficult to introduce a new duck into an established group as well (having that problem myself at the moment actually), so it's much easier to get your ducks together all at the same time so none have the advantage over any of the others. Also, ducks are incredibly messy and like to turn everything into mud, so be prepared for that. My pic above was taken this past Fall, there is essentially no grass left now. I'm working on building them another yard on the other side of their duck house that they can move into while their current yard recovers. Much messier than chickens, but I think they're totally worth it. They have great personalities and are just so funny to watch! Very intelligent, too. ^-^
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:33:27 PM by Teddy »

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
This is an interesting topic :D

I cant help you out--we don't have chickens, but I did like reading through everything^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »

You need chickens so that when I inevitably want to buy some eggs to make something delicious that you will probably end up eating with me you will have the right ones.  ::nods::

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
Sundown what makes you like nutrena over purina? They are the same non fixed formulas as with horse feed? I thought they were comparable?

I only have three right now. 2 Light Sussex I think? And the third is a no clue! And Planning on free ranging this summer as long as we killed of the coyotes last fall( have not seen anymore!!). Was planning on getting more but think I am going to wait till next spring now and just hang onto these guys. We need a bigger coop! I want some version of a laced Wyandotte but I change my mind a lot.

We have a very sturdy dog kennel/run they are generally in and a wood raised "box". Coyotes were bad here since we moved in and I almost didn't bring them. I am worried now because I swore I saw an egg the other morning I didn't grab and it was gone when I went to grab it so not sure what could have got in the run. Chickens look good though?

I am still surprised how much personality they have. Like to be loved on and are so sweet. Even my big rooster.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:13:19 PM by joce »
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal