collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: British? English? Scottish? Irish?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
British? English? Scottish? Irish?
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:32:25 AM »
So-  I've noticed that people from England generally call themselves British - but British refers to peeps in the UK right?

I guess it may be a matter of personal preference, but I'm pretty sure that I've never had a Scottish or Irish friend call themselves British-  while people from England do not seem to ever call themselves English...

:wonder:

Offline The Little White Horse

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: British? English? Scottish? Irish?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »
I'm English, but I live in France, and this is a question that French people often ask themselves in English class.

I personally am from England and consider myself English, I never use the term British when referring to my nationality. :)

Maybe that's just me. I'd be curious to see what other peoples responses are. ^^

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
I only use British when I have to such as filling in forms where you tick the box etc. Otherwise I'm English.

Jules x
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:00:08 AM »
I've always wondered about this, but for some reason never asked. It reminds me of how U.S citizens refer to themselves as Americans, but Canadians and others who live on the American continent never do.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:55:11 AM »
Sundown--its because most south of the border call their country 'America'.  I fought about it in highschool--how we are technically 'American', as in, living in North America but it would never fly since we view the US as America.

Then again, to some people I am just the US' hat ><

I have a few British friends and they refer to themselves at Brit.  English to me is not what you are, rather what language you speak. Same with French--though you will need ot get technical since Quebec is not France and the dialect is completely different, to the point where you can barely understand each other.

I think the technical term is 'French-Canadian', though I never really paid that big of a deal to it..I have my own opinions on the matter which will remain undiscussed (Sorry, those 10 years of forcing French on kids s what things actually are left a not so nice mark on most of us)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline palaisdejouets

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Palace
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »
I'm not British, but I am a nerd who lives in a former British colony whose head of state is still the Queen, and I thought I'd bring in this graphic to help explain.

England and Scotland are both within Britain -- so most English and Scots will accept being called British, but don't you dare call a Scot "English"! The island of Ireland is actually split into two countries -- the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, the latter of which is part of the United Kingdom, which also comprises Scotland, England and Wales.

Fizzy Adoptable by LyraHeartstrings
Visit my tumblrs:
★*. Toy Palace •*. Toys of the '80s ★. OMG Strawberry Shortcake ★*.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:50:38 AM »
Super interesting!

Yes- people from the US often call themselves Americans- it is weird since people from Canada, Central and South America are also Americans-  I usually say I am from Washington- or the US :D 

So you think a Scotsperson would be okay with being called "British"? 

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »
Just checked with Mr Sebby and he refers to himself as British. That was all I got though :)

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm American, but when explaining my nationalities I say English because my family is from England.  :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »
I've....... Never even considered this. It's an interesting question and I' curious to see the answers now.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »
No thanks...dont call me British :P But thats probably more of a cultural reaction than anything against the phrase. And I think in this day and age when the "Scotland issue" is playing such a big role south of our border, you may find more and more English prefer the term English over British as well. Although they probably dont have as negative a reaction to it.

I think its fair to say we have paperwork that says we are British but the mentality and emotion that makes us Scottish. Thats not true of everyone of course but polls (as well as recent and pending elections) tend to suggest Scots will call themselves Scottish first and many simply do not find the term British fitting at all.

Although part of the UK, we are a very insular nation - we are very close to "everything but" in independence. We have different laws from the rest of the UK, our own parliament who dictates more over the ins & outs of Scots than the "English" parliament in Westminster (although we still have nominated members who represent Scotland there), we are represented in most big sporting occasions by Scotland and not UK, we have our own national anthem, etc etc. I think all of these things simply combine to make us feel quite separate from the UK; something that has become more and more apparent in the last 3 decades. And at the end of the day, though centuries have past, no small country taken over against its will by a larger nation is ever quite the happiest of fellow countrymen.

Its an interesting debate and one with recent political moves (and the disaster that could be the election next month) is becoming more and more pertinent. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
It is weird. If asked I'd say I'm British but if someone else from the UK asks me then it's English. But then I have Scottish heritage so I like to include that in my nationality and I guess British covers that.
It's a question about national identity. I think Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have a stronger national identity than England.

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
I would NEVER call myself British, I'm English, although my ancestry dates back from probably beyond the Romano-British tribes of the Iron Age, that's about the most British I'd claim to be!
The British government tend to emphasise Britishness, as not to insult or alienate people from more recent immigrant cultures, but I don't have anything to do with Scottish or Welsh culture, and I wish England had it's own parliament and that Scottish and Welsh (and Northern Irish) MPs couldn't vote on issues that affect England, when English MPs can't vote in the Scottish parliament or Welsh Assembly!
We don't have a National Costume unlike the others, and apart from the English football team (hate football so no interest in it!), being English often gets a bad press, as our St George's flag (when not used for football), gets hijacked for political purposes by loony racist groups on protest marches.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »
Thank you for your perspectives- it really is super interesting!

I have nothing important to add or ask except to say that I love Scotland because the national animal is the unicorn :D

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 04:09:34 PM »
It is weird. If asked I'd say I'm British but if someone else from the UK asks me then it's English. But then I have Scottish heritage so I like to include that in my nationality and I guess British covers that.
It's a question about national identity. I think Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have a stronger national identity than England.

This makes sense! If I am talking to a fellow American (there really isn't another term for us unless you call us Yanks, although people from the South might have an issue with this) I will say 'I'm an Oregonian' because we'll identify eachother by state but if I were outside the US and someone asked where I was from I'd say "I'm an American".

On school/medical forms we'll usually have to identify as 'Causasian' which I always think is wierd since we really aren't.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal