collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need help to clean some Jem dolls  (Read 781 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Need help to clean some Jem dolls
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
Some time ago I bought a few poor Jem dolls from a flea market booth that I can only describe as some sort of Purgatory for naked Barbie dolls.  They were completely brown with what I assumed was a mixture of dirt and mildew.  Pizazz had plant matter in her hair and all of them had filthy, greasy, matted hair.  I tried to clean them up last night and thought they turned out pretty well but a few still smell like mildew and Pizazz has darker stains on her legs still.  In all their hair turned out amazingly well, and one of the Jems still has quite a bit of pink hair.  I haven't opened the 2 Jems yet to see what their battery compartments may look like.  I doubt they work though, considering how absolutely filthy they were.  Here they are:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So, do their heads come off?  I would LOVE to get inside them to mildew treat them.  What's the best way to remove anything still on them, like in the places I couldn't get to with a magic eraser, like the ends of their wrists and inside their joints?  Does anything damage them so I'd need to avoid it?  I had planned to keep Danse for myself, but do I need to keep her separate from my childhood dolls in storage? 

Kimber was also wearing  that red top near the flat iron and a denim skirt that didn't make the pic.  They both fit like they were made for dolls this size but I couldn't find any Jem fashion packs that look anything like them.  Does anyone recognize the outfit?  The top has a tag that just says "made in china." 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to clean some Jem dolls
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »
Wow- great lot! I don't have any suggestions for cleaning unfortunately-  although you might try the Jemcon.org board- there may be some people there with advice.

I seem to remember that the light up earrings make Jem's head very difficult to get off...(there are wires and such)

I don't think those clothing are Jem clothes

Offline hellapostalia

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Hello sweetie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »
Oh those poor Jem dolls ... I'm glad you rescued them!

You and Galactica are right, that top is not an official jem fashion. There were a number of 'off brand' toy manufacturers that produced fashions for 12 1/2 inch dolls like Jem and Maxie. It may even be part of the Maxie line.

I would definitely store Danse separately. There are just so many nooks and crannies with the ball jointed dolls, I would hate for a bit of mold stuck in there to damage your childhood toys.

:biggrin:

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »
1st edition Jem/Jerrica is extremely difficult to take her head off and not destroy her lights.  If you do plan on taking any of their heads off I recommend heating their heads in water first.  Just like you do with ponies.

I wouldn't try taking their hands off.  Maybe try using a stream cleaner for those small places.  Of course be careful because hot stream might melt the plastic.  Good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal