collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are you growing anything this spring?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
Are you growing anything this spring?
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »
The sun is out longer and warmer every day, so I planted some seeds last weekend! They are already at a good sprout (well most of them) and I'm so excited to see them grow. ^.^

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There are different types of basil, thyme, sage, rucola and Japanese kale vegetables, different types of lettuce, marjoram and rosemary. I also decided to try and grow a ginger plant from ginger root. It's now soaking to get rid of any growth-inhibitors and I'm going to plant it today.

So, what are you planning to grow this spring? ^.^

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Are you growing anything this spring?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »
Most certainly :)

We...had one of the coldest winters ever (yes, COLDEST. Even though they say it was globally the warmest..umm no) recorded this past year, so I don't know what perennials will survive yet.  But I know im going ot have to grab atleast 3 types of basil, parsley, and lemon balm if it doesn't survive.

I know the chives will be ok, but the oregano didn't survive last year and it was just as cold this year..we will see.

I normally get some kind of tomato for the family but I don't think I want to touch those this year.  Not sure what im going ot do for veg since it has to be growable in a  pot.

Not sure if the sage or tyme will make it out alive either.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »
I will be putting in my usual lemon verbena for Mr. Skeen.  Other than that it's really a waiting game to see what survived the winter.  I know my strawberries are fine, and you can't kill mint, I think my sage and comfrey are alright, and the rosemary and lavenders look fine.  The wisterias have new growth, as do the apricot tree, magnolia, and baby rose bushes.  Mostly I think I have to make sure the baby trees are staked properly and install whatever annual herbs I decide on this year in the annual bed.  Then just weed pulling.  Always weed pulling. 

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »
The topic name sounds so wrong.... XD

Seriously though, nope. I kill plastic plants.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »
There is always stuff growing in our yard. Hopefully soon there with be peaches! The trees blossomed well this year!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »
I'm moving in a couple of weeks and will be busy packing and unpacking so I will not be growing anything this year. Sadly I threw away my tomatoplants and rosemary as they wont be surviving on the new balcony for another couple of months as it's not glassed in and I wont have any room for them inside. I might be able to buy halfgrown herbs and flowerpots during the summer but we'll see.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
I wanted to grow my own berries and spices last year, but never got around to doing it. This year I plan to grow basil, oregano, and maybe a raspberry plant.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »
I have a bit of a reputation for adopting half dead plants and nursing them back to life. I just feel so sorry for them. We went to the garden centre yesterday and I bought some lupins and foxgloves, but there were some red delphinium plants sitting there looking wilty and half dead from not being watered, so we spoke to the guy on duty and he was going to throw them out. SO I ended up taking them home for nothing. One of them at least has perked up with some water and I think the second one will do so also. Out of three, I have high hopes for at least two - but who knows? The third may surprise me.

I also got a free lupin because that was going on the compost too. This one actually had new growth under its dead leaves, so I think it will be fine when it's had a chance to grow on a bit!

I don't tend to plant seeds because we don't have a lot of space and no greenhouse, and outside, the birds eat the seeds. So I focus on adopting plantlets instead xD.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
Taffeta, my husband does the same thing!  XD  Last summer he felt sorry for some sad-looking little snapdragons so he bought them and took them home for me to plant.  I kept calling them "crapdragons" (and that made him SO MAD) because they looked so tatty and I expected them to die and I'd have to dig them back up, but the damn things freaking lived!  Can't wait to see if they come back this year, but I wonder what other sob-story plants he'll drag home for me this season. 

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »
My family think I'm mad, but my Dad now no longer pricks out and composts his weaker seedlings when he does plant seeds because I used to, as a kid, take them and plant them and they'd turn out better than his plants somehow.

I swear they speak to me psychically.

Maybe I just need help...>.>
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 03:11:19 PM »
Taffeta and Skeen - I do the same thing!  Every fall, around Halloween, Canadian Tire puts all the shrubs/roses/ etc on sale for 90% off. I buy as much as possible, one year I spent $30 and STUFFED my car with perennials. The next year, they had trees for $10 each. I'm talking 15 foot trees, up to $70 at full retail. I drove home with as many as I could fit in my car, they were stuck up through the windows. And since everything was going in the garbage the next morning, she gave me a bunch of extra stuff for free!

The hilarious thing is, as I am loading roses, astibles, fancy lilies and other super expensive (but dead looking) plants into the shopping cart, these people keep going by and going "Wow, dead plants for 90% off, that's a deal" like they are smart or something. I kept laughing at them "No, they are not dead, they are DORMANT. I buy them now, plant a few to keep, and sell the rest at wholesale at my plant stand in the spring!"  Then they shuffle off with a 'I wish I thought of that' attitude.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »
Ah, I am so happy other people are as plant crazy as I am!

I once took a trip by train to visit another city here in the UK and on my travels I saw these really dead looking begonia plants in the front display of a store reduced to 50p (less than $1, for anyone in the US). I bought them, and watered them on the station platform with my evian water. I got a LOT of funny looks but they grew into amazing plants and flowered for a long time before they finished.

I also have a poinsettia on my windowsill that my parents bought me the Christmas I was living in London (2011).

So it's still alive. Because, after Christmas, I didn't throw it out.

It looks remarkably more like a cross between a tree and a triffid, now, and it no longer produces bracts, but it's very much alive and so long as it is, I'm keeping it :D. It's about three foot tall now, though. Later this spring, it's getting a haircut...

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:20:14 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 03:18:56 PM »
when I get the time I am planing on it as I just got my new house! now I can do what ever I like with my yard! planing on a small herb garden right now but that may change.

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 05:52:24 PM »
I have a bunch of flat leaf parsley, 5 green onions and one cilantro popping up from last year. I also have my oregano, thyme, lemon thyme and rosemary which grow year round here.
I should put in lettuces and snap peas soon.

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
I have 4 blood orange seeds that I sprouted.  Currently in little plastic cups, no clue how this will turn out as no way can I put them in the ground.
:socks:   :frog:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal