collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What sparked your desire to collect MLP?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline palaisdejouets

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Palace
What sparked your desire to collect MLP?
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »
I was thinking about how I'm relatively new to collecting ponies, though I've been collecting other vintage toy lines (starting with Strawberry Shortcake) for a number of years.

For a long time, I looked at ponies and thought, "That is WAY too intense of a collection to get into" given the incredible number of ponies and varieties available for collection (I'm thinking of G1 here but the same goes for other gens!)

But now I have actually started collecting MLP G1. So what changed? Well, I think it might come down to one pony ... Fizzy. I kept seeing pics of her and she just drew me in. She was my gateway collecting pony, that got me to dig out and clean my childhood ponies and start displaying them, plus my new acquisitions. Another impetus was that in the last couple of years I have been thrifting a LOT and when I see a G1 pony I cannot leave it behind. Same goes for G4 and good condition G3s now, too!

I know some of you technically never "started" collecting because you have been into ponies since the very first days in the '80s. But what turned you from a casual admirer into a collector?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fizzy Adoptable by LyraHeartstrings
Visit my tumblrs:
★*. Toy Palace •*. Toys of the '80s ★. OMG Strawberry Shortcake ★*.

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What sparked your desire to collect MLP?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
I've always loved horses, so when G3 came around right when I was in the "target age" I was hooked!  I remember bringing ponies to elementary school in my lunch box, haha.  I never really stopped collecting, though.  When G3 ended, I kind of just moved directly into G3.5, and then G4.

I'd wanted to get into G1s for a while but I was intimidated by the idea of it  But I was browsing eBay for G3s when I spotted an auction for TAF Milky Way, and I knew I had to have her.  There was just something so beautiful about her.  This was before my Arena days (I joined once I had her in hand), so I had no idea what I was doing and put in kind of a crazy max bid for $20 or something (she's nowhere near mint, so that would have been over paying by quite a margin) but thankfully I won her for less than $10 counting shipping haha.  All I knew was that I had to have her and I'd be crushed to lose the auction!  I liked her even more in person, so naturally more G1s have joined since, and a G2.   

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »
Growing up, I never liked ponies.  I was also born in 1990, so that seemed to be towards the tail end of the pony craze here in the US (because I think G2s didn't last very long here?  I don't really know) but anyway...

I got into MLP with Friendship is Magic back in 2010, but I started as just as casual viewer of the show.  One of my best friends has been a pony fan since G1, so I noticed her looking at toys at Walmart whenever we'd go shopping, and that sparked my interest.  I just HAD to have something Rainbow Dash, so I picked up the toy of her that came with the little scooter.  Soon after that I began collecting blind bags.  Almost a year later, Funko released Dashie and :muffin: pony vinyl figures and my roommate picked them up for me since he knew I liked the show.  It was all downhill from there. :lol:

As for G1s, I didn't start collecting them until last year.  I saw a post about Night Glider on here and I instantly knew that I needed to own her.  I talked to my fiance about her (because I always bug him about pony stuff) and he surprised me by finding and buying her on Etsy for me.  I thought she'd be my only G1, but then I went to MyLittleWiki and my list grew longer and longer.  Now I own about 25 G1s. :blush:
Instagram / Want List

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »
I started collecting when I was about 8-9 that is when the pony line came out in 1982. I remember the first flat footed ponies and so on. I had a dream castle and a show stable. I loved playing with my ponies. They were one of the toys I loved but, I gave all mine away when I was a teenager. Except for two ponies that was Curly Locks and Twinkler. No idea why I kept those two either.
 Then I spotted Medley on "Dream Valley." I wondered if one was for sale. On a whim I checked ebay. 1001 or more ponies later. I think I have a big collection. I guess I could blame Medley for all my woes but I love her. Im like 9 ponies away from a complete Us collection. I have two on my list coming. :) Non Us Mail Orders that is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:07:30 AM by SkyCakes »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:05:02 AM »
Well, when I was 4 or so- my mom bought me a Cotton Candy- and the rest is history...

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »
I didn't collect ponies as a kid. I grew up in the 90s, and that was G2-G3? Yeaaah I still don't really like the look of those gens compared to the others, though G2 is beginning to grow on me. I wasn't ever fond of "brushable" toys. I did, however, have a small herd of more realistically-coloured fakies (with shorter hair lol).

I watched FiM on recommendation of a friend and ended up really enjoying it. The characters are cute, and the world is interesting, and it actually has some really good morals and stuff for a product aimed at children (I actually wrote an essay on it for university discussing queer representation in media, using the episode where Spike has a crisis because he's a dragon but acts like a pony, and eventually accepts that that's what he likes, which is an interesting exploration of gender identity and roles, and from an angle you don't usually see (usually it's the tomboy girl character), anyway I digress.)

I've always been a collector. It began with some blind bags I won off Ebay, then when I was doing my shopping I found Lyra Heartstrings' brushable in Tesco and things kinda snowballed from there! :lol: The community has also been one of the most friendly and welcoming I've ever entered, the "bronies", and older fans both. I probably hung around more because of how fun it was to discuss and hunt ponies :lol: I've since branched out into G1s, too!
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

shintoji

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
i used to be really really into fim when it first came out, and i sorta dropped out of it for a while, but i kept seeing pictures of vintage ponies all over the place and i really liked the look of g2s, so i started collecting! i was only interested in g2s at first, but my aunt gave me her childhood pony bride and i sort of fell in love with g1s, and then i watched a g3 movie and now i love g3s too :heart::relaxed:

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »
When I was a kid, I got given a bundle of G1 ponies that used to belong to my aunt; they all ended up being given away, so I started collecting them a couple of years ago in a hope to replace my childhood favourites. From there, I found other ponies that were really appealing and ended up with a small but diverse collection of ponies from there. :)

Offline thecakeissisley

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
I first got into MLP when G3 first came to my country. I was about 9. I've had no interest in 'girly' toys before then, however, I was quite a horse lover. My dad bought me Flippity Flop and she was my first pony. However 4 ponies later my interest in them kind of disappeared. I got into Bratz dolls and LPS.

At age 12, I rediscovered MLP and bought a few more ponies, plus quite a few Ponyville sets. Later I discovered G1 and G2 and it was so exciting! I didn't like the look of G1s at first but soon they grew on me. Since then I was always interested in ponies, just never had the money to buy the ones I really wanted.

Basically what got me into ponies was probably the fact that they were colorful horses. I have always loved bright colors and horses. :D

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:42 AM »
I collected G1 MLP when I was younger- that's when they were still coming out, hope that doesn't date me too much  :P

But I stopped and skipped G2, G3, G3.5- I was a bit late to the FiM fandom, I got into it between seasons 1 and 2. I started watching it one summer out of random curiosity and boredom, and fell in love with how cute the remake was. I didn't buy any toys, though. I started joking with my mom about how much I loved the new MLP remake, and that Christmas, she got me a playful single Rarity in my stocking as a gag. Little did she know, I absolutely loved it! It still was another half a year before I bought more ponies, but since then, I have been collecting my favorite ponies here and there.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline elffypony

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
I first started to like ponies when G3 came out and I recieved a couple of them for Christmases and birthdays and then I got hooked for a short time. I mean, what is there not to like about magical rainbow coloured ponies?!  :P

Years later, I found out about FIM and decided to see what all the fuss was about. I had no idea that I would be so interested in MLP again! I started to collect the G4 ponies and then began to re-collect G3s. I also started to collect G3.5,G1 and G2 ponies because they're all so cute!  :good:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »
I've always loved horses and my grandparents bought me ponies and of course there was the show, so I was hooked early on. After my mom gave away my pony collection I grew out of it for a while. Didn't even know G2 existed but G3s were gorgeous and reminded me of my childhood ponies. When I saw those was when I started wanting to collect again. Then I started hunting around for more G3s and eventually started seeking out G1s.

I currently own
10 G3s
16 G1s
1 Boley Fakie
1 G4
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:05:44 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
I started toy collecting in 2008 and when I learned about and started watching the current TV-series, it was only natural to start buying/collecting pony toys.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »
This girl :)

I grew up with ponies as my favorite toys and I always wanted to start collecting them, but finding this girl at a thrift one summer a few years back really gave me the final push. :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
My interest in MLP began as a little kid when my mom got me the G1 Ponies to play with, but my interest pretty much died by the time I got to be in the 3rd or 4th grade. It wasn't until the Friendship is Magic show came out and I saw the new Ponies in stores that my interest was renewed and I started collecting just the G4 ponies. And thanks to watching the 1986 MLP Movie after I bought it on DVD, I renewed my love for G1 and I'm slowly but surely starting to collect G1 Ponies in addition to G4s.

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal