collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Primer Removal Question  (Read 481 times)

ponygirl74

• Trade Count: (0)
Primer Removal Question
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
Hi I primed a pony in Painter's Touch primer by Rust-Oleum, it's a white non metal primer. What method is there to remove it from a pony as it didn't go on the way I wanted to to be, note I have sensitive skin and break out in eczema  with harsh chemicals or with latex gloves. Thanks!

Post Merge: March 07, 2015, 06:16:22 AM

Anyone? I need to remove this ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:16:22 AM by ponygirl74 »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Primer Removal Question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »
I'm not familiar with that brand, but if it's water soluble, just washing with a bit of soap and water, or really even just water, should work fine. Otherwise, pure acetone will likely work, but it's likely going to bother your skin.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

ponygirl74

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »
I'm not familiar with that brand, but if it's water soluble, just washing with a bit of soap and water, or really even just water, should work fine. Otherwise, pure acetone will likely work, but it's likely going to bother your skin.
It's totally dried, so I guess acetone is it, unless Loews/Home Depot has something that strips primer. 

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Sometime being dried won't matter. Since you have such an issue with harsh chemicals, you might want to try soaking it in water for a few hours or even over night and see if it breaks through it. It will sometimes and could save you a rash if it works. It'll still take some scrubbing even then, but no chemicals would be good right? At any rate, I don't see the water hurting anything even if it doesn't work.

kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

ponygirl74

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Sometime being dried won't matter. Since you have such an issue with harsh chemicals, you might want to try soaking it in water for a few hours or even over night and see if it breaks through it. It will sometimes and could save you a rash if it works. It'll still take some scrubbing even then, but no chemicals would be good right? At any rate, I don't see the water hurting anything even if it doesn't work.
Would soaking it in really Hot water with some soap in it might work ? 

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
It very well might, especially if the primer was waterbased (which hopefully it was as oil based paints are a nightmare on ponies). It works on the acrylic paints we usually use. I know it does, because I've done it. I leave them sit over night and the next morning I can scrape the paint right off. I prefer avoiding the acetone when I can.

ponygirl74

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »
It very well might, especially if the primer was waterbased (which hopefully it was as oil based paints are a nightmare on ponies). It works on the acrylic paints we usually use. I know it does, because I've done it. I leave them sit over night and the next morning I can scrape the paint right off. I prefer avoiding the acetone when I can.
It's got enamel base in it and it states is needs to cleaned with mineral spirits if the nozzle gets clogged, question is enamel oil based?   

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »
When I enter Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch primer into a search engine, it's coming up as a water based acrylic. If this is what you have, soaking it should work.

ponygirl74

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
When I enter Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch primer into a search engine, it's coming up as a water based acrylic. If this is what you have, soaking it should work.
It is and thanks!

Post Merge: March 08, 2015, 03:10:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestion  :biggrin:, it worked out well I just heated the water a few times to speed up the process and added dish detergent. I'm soaking other ponies that need acrylic paint off them.     
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 03:10:12 AM by ponygirl74 »

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 07:36:49 AM »
Very awesome! Glad to hear it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal