collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gooey Kimono?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
Gooey Kimono?
« on: February 23, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »
Has anyone else noticed their Kimono's getting gooey over time?  Mine has been sitting on a shelf, and she has a thin layer of dust, and now the dust is stuck to the goo and it just doesn't want to clean off with plain water.  I will eventually give her a full soap bath but still.. gooey?  Also has anyone else noticed the G3 clear glittery ponies getting gooey as well?

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Gooey Kimono?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
It's probably the plasticizer leaking out. It happens pretty commonly to G1s but we've seen some G3s having this happen already too. My Candy apple has the same issue.

Elf

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »
Nooope, my Kimono is still perfect :smug:
But guess it depends on which Kimono you have :o I have the first version of her...
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
My Kimono did that too. I gave her a good bath but she still feels a bit different on the surface.

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »
It's probably the plasticizer leaking out. It happens pretty commonly to G1s but we've seen some G3s having this happen already too. My Candy apple has the same issue.

Elf

My thoughts as well. I know a few G3s have this problem already, and sadly the clear glitter ponies are infamous for it, which is sad. They aren't old enough that plastic breakdown should be occurring.

There's really not much that can be done except keep an eye on them and wipe them down when they goop up again. :(

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »
I am happy and lucky to say that mine is not doing that yet.

Offline Beckie-Ann

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 03:41:34 PM »
Strange, I've only seen this witg my g1s. They get hard and sticky.  I am careful about the temperature exposure because of this.

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 06:58:06 PM »
I am happy and lucky to say that mine is not doing that yet.
^ As am I.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:12:59 AM »
Mine too!! It's ONLY Kimono, too... it's so weird!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:42:21 PM »
Yes, unfortunately it is true that it could happen to any pony not just Kimono. The gooeyness will eventually go away but you can treat it with baby powder to clear it up (although it does not stop it coming back).
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »
I have the first version Kimono.  I had another one of her that was also the first version and she never gooped up.  I just washed her last night and she regooped over night.  It's just her body doing it, not her head.  I dunno what to do with her.  I'm not sure if I should store her with my other ponies or what, I don't want them to get goopy.
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 03:16:52 AM »
As long as you avoid direct physical contact, the "goopiness" isn't contagious.  It can transfer by touching but won't actually make other ponies infected, just sticky.  Heads and bodies are commonly made from separate batches of plastic, so it's likely the body batch your Kimono was from isn't as stable as her head. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 04:35:54 AM »
I've had this happen to some old plastic figures of mine. I think the climate in which they're kept has a strong influence on it, as heat makes the plastic break down faster. Give her a careful bath with some dishsoap, but it may well come back now and then (my sticky figures need a bath every few months...and the paint has begun to come off with the sticky stuff  :cry: ). I have heard putting them in the freezer for a little while can help but Im not sure if ponies would like it, or if it's a permanent fix.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 04:56:41 AM »
Cold temperatures won't be a fix, they only slow down the chemical reaction, delaying the inevitable.  Unfortunately plasticizer breakdown is simply entropy taking its natural course, and there's no remedy beyond waiting it out. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline melon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 02:09:20 AM »
I've read that apply lotion help to make the surface less sticky though it's not permanent. I'm not sure if this is a recommended solution though...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal