collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paypal fees in selling  (Read 859 times)

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
Paypal fees in selling
« on: February 22, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
How do you incorporate the fees deducted by paypal when selling? Do most sellers include it in the items price? I'm asking since I got charged nearly $3.00 (the amount it would take to ship the item) and I know from experience how rude it would be to ask buyers for extra money to cover those fees and charging outrageously high shipping would be absurd. And asking buyers to send "Gift" is also not recommended with the no coverage from paypal.

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Paypal fees in selling
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:38:58 PM »
Not only is it rude to ask buyers to send additional money; it's against PayPal's terms of service. I think most sellers include the fee in their sales price; that's what I personally do.
Mimic on MLPTP

PNW0611

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:49:34 PM »
I think in general people consider fees the cost of doing business and build those fees into their sale price.

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 12:26:26 AM »
-too lazy to look-
what is the formula for the fee calculation?

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:10:14 AM »
Most sellers do include an extra bit to cover the fees in the item price so that once the fees are taken out they aren't losing money on the item (and they aren't hiding any extra costs from the buyer by asking them to pay the fees later either)  :awake:  Buyers should not be paying the fees (except if it really is a gift or as a favor - say for example a friend in another state or country picks up an item for you as a favor and is sending it to you at cost , so you don't want them to be out of money by having to pay the fees themselves)
There are plenty of Paypal fee calculator websites about to help you know what the fee amount will be  - here is one  for example:  http://paypalfeecalculator.paymentprocessing.cc/   just Google for others :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:25:55 AM »
I consider Paypal fees the cost of doing business. If a pony's value is $10, I charge $10 not $10 + "please send as gift or add 3% (if that's even right anymore)".

I keep track of all of my sales on an excel spreadsheet with columns for sale price, shipping, Paypal fees, eBay fees, ect. That way I have a record of what I actually made off a sale rather than just the asking price. :bigups: It's also helpful if you need to make a certain amount after the fees... I can look back over previous sales to see how much to sell for if I need to end up with $x.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:29:46 AM »
I consider Paypal fees the cost of doing business. If a pony's value is $10, I charge $10 not $10 + "please send as gift or add 3% (if that's even right anymore)".

I keep track of all of my sales on an excel spreadsheet with columns for sale price, shipping, Paypal fees, eBay fees, ect. That way I have a record of what I actually made off a sale rather than just the asking price. :bigups: It's also helpful if you need to make a certain amount after the fees... I can look back over previous sales to see how much to sell for if I need to end up with $x.

I do something similar to this. I keep charge of all fees, including what I pay for packaging, cleaning, fees, etc. I guess this is what happens when you grow up with one of your parents as a CFO and the other as a loan officer....LOL.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »
I also just kind of thing of fees as the cost of doing business. I don't purposefully raise prices to offset them unless it's a very expensive item and the fees are going to be really substantial. The exception to this is with ebay. Since I charge calculated exact shipping, and ebay takes substantial fees out of my shipping, I start items a little higher on ebay than I would here because I have to offset those costs somehow.

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
I take them in with sales but on a certain group I am part of, they want the seller to pay them for some reason. I want to respect their rules if I sell there. With here and other groups except that one, I always take the fees in as part of business.

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 08:02:18 AM »
To have paid $3 in fees you would have had to sell something close to $100. I usually just consider it the cost of selling online and getting immediate payment rather than waiting for money orders in the mail or something.

If you want to check fees before listing items up for sale this is a good calculator:
https://salecalc.com/paypal

Then you can see if you want to add a dollar or two to the price of your item to cover yourself :)
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal