collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Plush Making Question - Hoof Fringe, How it is done?  (Read 861 times)

Kiwi-bunny

• Trade Count: (0)
Plush Making Question - Hoof Fringe, How it is done?
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
For some odd reason, my brain cannot handle the thought of hoof fringe, like Big Mac or Shining Armor's hooves. Do I just cut the pattern out, clip off the hooves then make the other hooves in  the other color and sew them on with a fringe pattern? Or would that make them just a weird seam with no detail? Or should I just layer it? I see other people just do it applique style, which would be great if I knew my embroidery machine better. Or they just to a regular stitch over the top layer, which I think looks ugly. Sorry for all the words, I really think my brain might explode from this. >.>

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
Re: Plush Making Question - Hoof Fringe, How it is done?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
I've never done it but I saved this tutorial and thought it would be a good way to try if and when I do.

http://drachefrau.deviantart.com/art/Making-Pony-Plushie-Fetlocks-Pt-1-365504181

Good Luck!
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:34:02 AM »
Good question, I would have at loss, too. Emberfly's link's tutorial seems pretty good though, so I hope it helps :D

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:50:18 AM »
That is cool! Thank you for sharing the link Emberfly!

I was wondering how it could be done a few days ago.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Kiwi-bunny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »
Thank you, unfortunately it's a good technique for fleece, but not for minky, it leaves a nasty looking frayed edge. :(

I've never done it but I saved this tutorial and thought it would be a good way to try if and when I do.

http://drachefrau.deviantart.com/art/Making-Pony-Plushie-Fetlocks-Pt-1-365504181

Good Luck!

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 12:59:58 PM »
Valleyviolet's stallion pattern has optional contrasting hooves. I can't share the pattern itself, but I can try to explain how it's done. (I'd post pics of my plush, but I've already finished and stuffed the body.) You basically need to make two "inside leg" pieces per leg...one will have the scalloped edge, the other won't. Pin one to an outside leg, and cut the hoof fringe into both of those pieces. Sew them together with right sides facing each other, and turn to leave a nice finished edge. 

Does that make any sense? I know what I'm talking about, but I have a terrible time explaining it with words alone. :lol:
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
Here is what I do.  I can't remember whose pattern included instructions for it but it might have been munchforlunch. 

You'll make your body piece and inner leg piece as normal, but you'll need to make a separate "fringe" piece (the color for the hooves).  The way MFL does it is she sews the two leg pieces together on the front seam ONLY, then spreads it open and places the fringe piece on them, then sews the fringe down.  Then you can cut the excess fabric from the leg pieces that aren't fringe colored and sew the leg together as normal.  You'd use the same color of fabric for the hooves as for the fringe. 

::gasp::  I had a pic of fetlocks in progress!  :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ok, so, see on the back leg how it's attached?  And then on the front leg (which is turned right side out) you can see what it looks like after cutting the excess body fabric off.  On the back of the darker green is the line for the hoof, which would also be in green fabric, and would be sewn on as normal. 

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »
ALDER!!
i can post a picture of what he looks like done. but i'm sure skeen has one two.
he's fantastic!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal