collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 Collection - Keep, Sell, Restore or Bait?  (Read 823 times)

Offline PrincessGryph

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • The Want It Need It Spell... Works Every Time!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Gryph Customs for Sale!
G3 Collection - Keep, Sell, Restore or Bait?
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »
I finally got some leisure time to sit down and give my G3 collection some much-needed TLC. Everyone got a bath and I cleaned up a couple marks on some of them. Just need help trying to decide what to do with some of them, and how to style the hair on the ones I'm keeping. So let's play! Keep, Sell, Restore, or Bait!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Starsong (2008 Halloween)
Spoiler
History: Bought at a Halloween store in 2009 I think
Condition: Perfect, with original hat
Status: Probably keep. I really like her, I'm a sucker for star-themed ponies, and she doesn't even have that annoying tinsel hair. Now I just have to decide how I should style her hair before shelving her.

Scootaloo 2 (2008 Cowboy Hat)
Spoiler
History: Probably bought from TRU in 2008 or 2009. She spent a little time on my dashboard during college, so she's gotten some love
Condition: Great. Body is clean with only a little discoloration on the tips of the ears. Hat is very sun-bleached tho.
Status: Keep/Restore. Thinking about getting a new hat if I can find one, but the discoloration doesn't really bother me much. She's also part of what I like to call my "Extended G4 Collection" so I'm not really considering selling her. Thinking about braiding her hair or styling it kind of like G4 Applejack.

Toola Roola (2008 Artist Hat)
Spoiler
History: Originally bought with Scootaloo back in 2008 or 2009 at toy store. Also spent time on my dashboard during college, and was severely sun-bleached as a result. Bought a replacement in better condition in an Ebay auction, and baited my old one. Kept the hat.
Condition: Perfect, except for hat is very sun-bleached.
Status: Keep/Restore. Considering getting a replacement hat if I can find one. The discoloration on this one bothers me a lot more than Scootaloo's hat. Not sure how I want to style her hair.

Star Catcher 2 (2007)
Spoiler
History: Bought at toy store in Downtown Disney in 2007 or 2008, and was the first pony I bought that ended up igniting a nostalgia-fueled spending-spree. My school's motto was "Reach for the Stars" so I felt she was a fitting companion.
Condition: Great. Some yellowing on her back between her wings, but otherwise completely beautiful. Still have original hair clip and box!
Status: Keep/Restore. Would love some tips on how to whiten her, but I'm still pretty happy with her condition. She's the gem of my collection, my absolute favorite, so I wouldn't even consider selling her. Hard to decide how to style her hair, since she's so important to me.

Twinkle Hope (2008)
Spoiler
History: I think I bought her around 2009/2010 at either Wal-Mart or TRU, can't really remember
Condition: Perfect.
Status: Probably keep. I don't really think I liked her that much when I first got her, but she's grown on me a lot over the years. Sucker for star-themed ponies *shrug* Not sure how to style her hair.

Sweetie Belle (Discount?)
Spoiler
History: Bought in Ebay auction lot in 2010/2011
Condition: Great. Has some faint black marks on her cheek I can't seem to get rid of. Otherwise, beautiful.
Status: Keep/Restore. Would love to get rid of those marks on her cheek. But like Scootaloo, she's part of my "Extended G4 Collection" so not likely to get rid of her. Might style hair like G4 Sweetie Belle.

Fluttershy (2003)
Spoiler
History: Nabbed in Ebay auction NIB back in 2010/2011
Condition: Perfect. Still have charm!
Status: Keep. Part of my "Extended G4 Collection" and will probably style hair like G4 Fluttershy.

Pinkie Pie 5 (2007)
Spoiler
Condition: Great. Just has a small scuff mark on her balloons
Status: Keep/Sell. Even though she's part of my "Extended G4 Collection" I'm not crazy about this variant. I don't like the cutie mark, and would really rather a variant with a flat cutie mark and non-tinsel hair. Sell/Trade. I recently acquired a Pinkie Pie with tinsel hair and a flat cutie mark, so I'm now looking to move this one out of my collection!

Sparkleworks 2 (2003)
Spoiler
History: Bought at 2014 Bronycon
Condition: Excellent. Hair's a bit frizzy, but the body is clean
Status: Not sure. Would probably be willing to trade/sell, but I'm thinking about keeping her. She's starting to grow on me, she's pretty cute. I'm not crazy about tinsel hair though.

Crystal Lake (2004)
Spoiler
Condition: Great. Hair's a bit frizzy, but the body is clean
Status: Not sure yet. Her cutie mark/color scheme is really similar to G4 Twilight Sparkle, so I'm considering keeping her as part of my "Extended G4 Collection" but I'd probably still consider selling/trading her

Sunny Daze (2007)
Spoiler
History: Bought at TRU back in 2008/2009, and also served some time on my dashboard with Scootaloo and Toola Roola. She came with glasses, but I lost them at some point.
Condition: Great. Body is only a little yellowed, and the original glasses are missing. Still have original box.
Status: Not sure. I feel like her body is just really yellowed, but the pictures don't show it as well. I've never been really attached to her, so I could sell/trade her, but I feel like her body is so yellowed I should just bait her, maybe restore her. I don't know if I care about her enough to replace her glasses. I'm really ambivalent about her. I guess it would be nice to trade her for a pony I really love.

Autumn Skye (2003)
Spoiler
Condition: Good. Body is nice, but mane is cut short, tail seems trimmed too
Status: Restore/Bait. Can't decide. She was originally in my bait bin, but she would be a really simple rehair, and she's started to grow on me. And I need some blue ponies in my collection anyway. Would need to know what colors are an exact match though. If I'm going to rehair her, I could probably go with my own colors. I think she's probably look cool with yellow, orange AND red in her mane like autumn leaves.

Status (Update): KEEP. I did a custom rehair on her with Golden Delicious/Tigerlily/Volcano Dollyhair. It's a bit short, but otherwise I like how it turned out. I think I'll be keeping her, maybe keeping an eye out for a new one with original hair to go with my collection.

Jazz Matazz (2005)
Spoiler
Condition: Good, but not as good as I'd originally thought. The body is nice, but pink hair has fallen out.
Status: Restore/Bait. I thought she was in good condition when I got her, but when I went to wash the hair, the pink in the mane and tail started coming out in chunks! Almost looks like someone cut it out with an exacto knife, but if that were the case, you'd think I'd have noticed it when I got it in the first place. I'm wondering if she has some sort of common ailment; I don't do a lot of restorations so I'm not sure what has cause this. But I really, really, really love this pony. If I were to bait her, I'd want to get a new one somewhere anyway, so it'd probably be best if I could restore her.

Baby Romperooni (2004)
Spoiler
Condition: Poor. Looks like there are rust stains around the base of the tail, with similar colored stains on the front legs.
Status: Not sure. I kind of hate this pony, so I don't think I care enough to restore her. But I probably should, just for the experience. I really do not like this pony though.

LOOK WHO JUST JOINED THE PARTY!

Dibble Dabble (2005)
Spoiler
History: Received in trade with Mrbrightsky on MLP Arena
Condition: Great. Body is clean and hair is nice, except a few frayed bits in the tail. It seems like it got tangled at one point and just a little hair was pulled out.
Status: Keep. Obviously, since I just got her and she was on my wishlist :P It seems really important that I pick a good style for this hair, so that it doesn't get tangled up easily. I'm considering braiding it or doing something similar, but I'm worried that might damage the hair.

Pink Sunsparkle (2003)
Spoiler
Condition: Good. Body is clean, but hair is cut, frayed, and base of tail looks rusty.
Status: Keep/Restore. She was actually in my bait bin and I noticed she wasn't really in that bad of shape. She may just need a full rehair though. She's on my wishlist so I'll probably do this.

Star Swirl (2003)
Spoiler

History: Received as part of a partial trade on Facebook group
Condition: Excellent. Body is almost perfect except for what appears to be a bit of glue I can't seem to remove from the cutie mark.
Status: Keep/Restore. I'll keep trying to get rid of that glue spot. In the meantime, I can check this baby off my wishlist :D

Pinkie Pie 6 (2007)
Spoiler

Condition: Excellent. A tiny stain on the cutie mark, and a few almost unnoticable specks on the body, but otherwise in really great condition.
Status: Keep/Trade. I'm still holding out for a non-tinsel variety G3 Pinkie Pie, but in the meantime this one will work.

Rainbow Dash 1 (2003)
Spoiler

Condition: Excellent. A small mark on the cloud on her cutie mark, and a little scuff on one of her eyebrows. Hair is in really great condition.
Status: Keep/Trade. I wouldn't mind getting one of these in better condition, but for now this one will do.

Starsong (2009)
Spoiler

Condition: Excellent. Small mark on leg I can't seem to get off, but hair has some major frizz.
Status: Keep/Restore. Hair needs a major frizz treatment, and would like to get rid of the mark on her leg, but otherwise, in really wonderful condition.

Starsong (2008)
Spoiler

Condition: Perfect. Hair is nice and body is mark-free.
Status: Keep. Love these Starsong variants. Couldn't ask for a prettier pony :3
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:59:09 PM by PrincessGryph »

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G3 Collection - Keep, Sell, Restore or Bait?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
Wow, I didn't know JazzMatazz could do that to her hair!
It is that specific color of pink vs. it's glue. When it is exposed to sunlight (I was told) it makes the glue eat the hair where it touches it and it falls out like what you had happen. I uncovered it when I bought a ...G3 plastic heads plush, it was the meal time baby, I forget her name, but she has it. Been trying to upgrade her ever since. You just need one not exposed to an element or one who is primarily unplayed with. I have JazzMatazz too, but her hair is fine since she was never exposed. Since the rest of her is frizzy replacing the pony or the hair would be good. Notice how it didn't come out of the tail, there was no glue there.

Keep or restore recommendations:
Def. Twinkle Hope - she was limited
Jazz Matazz was sold I think as an exclusive?
Everyone likes Autumn Skye
Noncloth Starcatcher is a winner too, maybe a soft curl so you can see her wings glitter?

I always try to post where I see that unusual hair affliction, having it explained on my one was so interesting but bad that they would make it that way.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »
Sadly many of the store exclusive G3 have rotting hair more noticeable dark pink tones like Jazz and baby Tea Lily, this means the hair literaly rots itselfs over time  because they used cheap hair  :huh: mostly the ponies from Avon and Dollar general are more prone to rotting hair

Jazz Matazz was an Avon exclusive pony, so is common that she has the problem, a compleatle rehair  would solve the problem or you could sell her as a restoration proyect if you don't want to do the rehair
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:11:36 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
Wow, I didn't know JazzMatazz could do that to her hair!
It is that specific color of pink vs. it's glue. When it is exposed to sunlight (I was told) it makes the glue eat the hair where it touches it and it falls out like what you had happen. I uncovered it when I bought a ...G3 plastic heads plush, it was the meal time baby, I forget her name, but she has it. Been trying to upgrade her ever since. You just need one not exposed to an element or one who is primarily unplayed with. I have JazzMatazz too, but her hair is fine since she was never exposed. Since the rest of her is frizzy replacing the pony or the hair would be good. Notice how it didn't come out of the tail, there was no glue there.

Keep or restore recommendations:
Def. Twinkle Hope - she was limited
Jazz Matazz was sold I think as an exclusive?
Everyone likes Autumn Skye
Noncloth Starcatcher is a winner too, maybe a soft curl so you can see her wings glitter?

I always try to post where I see that unusual hair affliction, having it explained on my one was so interesting but bad that they would make it that way.

Sadly many of the store exclusive G3 have rotting hair more noticeable dark pink tones like Jazz and baby Tea Lily, this means the hair literaly rots itselfs over time  because they used cheap hair  :huh:

Jazz Matazz was an Avon exclusive pony, so is common that she has the problem, a compleatle rehair  would solve the problem or you could sell her as a restoration proyect if you don't want to do the rehair

Oh good, glad someone knows what's up with her. It may be more about the sun than the reaction with the glue, because the tail hair was really brittle and fell out too. Is there a way I can just replace the pink hair, or will I have to replace it all?

Trying to find a color match for the pink, best I can find is Watermelon Martini. It seems a little dark for a match, but that could just be because the hair on this one is a little sunbleached. If I have to replace the rest, I assume the yellow is probably Lemonade and the green I'm not sure about... Maybe Sea Nymph or Unlucky Clover? Really hard to say...

Autumn Skye looks like Apricot and Lemonade from what I can tell. I'm probably gonna go with restoring her, she's super cute. I might add a red to the rehair though, haven't decided.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »

Oh good, glad someone knows what's up with her. It may be more about the sun than the reaction with the glue, because the tail hair was really brittle and fell out too. Is there a way I can just replace the pink hair, or will I have to replace it all?

Trying to find a color match for the pink, best I can find is Watermelon Martini. It seems a little dark for a match, but that could just be because the hair on this one is a little sunbleached. If I have to replace the rest, I assume the yellow is probably Lemonade and the green I'm not sure about... Maybe Sea Nymph or Unlucky Clover? Really hard to say...

Autumn Skye looks like Apricot and Lemonade from what I can tell. I'm probably gonna go with restoring her, she's super cute. I might add a red to the rehair though, haven't decided.

I think is better to replace all the hair, since the other might rott as well

You see I got a Jazz Matazz also she was from the fleashop, her hair was tied in a hairband but when I tooked off  the pink hair fell when I touched it

So I desided to do a rehair, when I waas pulling the hair out, the pale blonde actually got ripped pretty easy wit just a gentle pull, so other colors have a chance of getting ripped too

Not sure about the hairmatch since I trowed out the original  hair

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »
Sadly many of the store exclusive G3 have rotting hair more noticeable dark pink tones like Jazz and baby Tea Lily, this means the hair literaly rots itselfs over time  because they used cheap hair  :huh: mostly the ponies from Avon and Dollar general are more prone to rotting hair

Thank you for sharing this valuable info! It will help me in modifying my Wishlist. I had Peach Surprise and some other Avon/Dollar General exclusives on my Wishlist. Now I'm thinking they may be a waste to buy.

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »

I think is better to replace all the hair, since the other might rott as well

You see I got a Jazz Matazz also she was from the fleashop, her hair was tied in a hairband but when I tooked off  the pink hair fell when I touched it

So I desided to do a rehair, when I waas pulling the hair out, the pale blonde actually got ripped pretty easy wit just a gentle pull, so other colors have a chance of getting ripped too

Not sure about the hairmatch since I trowed out the original  hair

What colors did you decide to use in your rehair? How did it turn out (pics?)

Offline Sapphire-Light

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »

Thank you for sharing this valuable info! It will help me in modifying my Wishlist. I had Peach Surprise and some other Avon/Dollar General exclusives on my Wishlist. Now I'm thinking they may be a waste to buy.

Agree, is so sad how the hair is rotting so fast, I got a Peach Surprise and her hair got all dry and brittle, also the pink hair in my Tea Lily fell off

Here's my Jazz Matazz  ^.^ , I used  a bit of snow white saran,  the other two colors are from some doll  hair extension but  they are close in dollyhair's water nixie and old bubblegum

Well I think old bubblegum  based in the pictures as I don't own one from DH

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:09:46 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »

Agree, is so sad how the hair is rotting so fast, I got a Peach Surprise and her hair got all dry and brittle, also the pink hair in my Tea Lily fell off

Here's my Jazz Matazz  ^.^ , I used  a bit of snow white saran,  the other two colors are from some doll  hair extension but  they are close in dollyhair's water nixie and old bubblegum

Well I think old bubblegum  based in the pictures as I don't own one from DH

Cute! Yeah, Old Bubblegum sounds right, probably better than Watermelon Martini.

I'm kind of considering doing a custom rehair. Since she has a trumpet cutie mark, wouldn't it be something to rehair her with Golden Goddess? I dunno... I'm torn between returning her to her former glory, and doing something unique. Same problem with Autumn Skye.

Post Merge: January 23, 2015, 11:07:16 AM

Updated with new pony :O
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:07:16 AM by PrincessGryph »

Offline Sapphire-Light

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »

Cute! Yeah, Old Bubblegum sounds right, probably better than Watermelon Martini.

I'm kind of considering doing a custom rehair. Since she has a trumpet cutie mark, wouldn't it be something to rehair her with Golden Goddess? I dunno... I'm torn between returning her to her former glory, and doing something unique. Same problem with Autumn Skye.

Yeah is hard to decide to do original or an alt rehair  >_<  you can also do one and if you find a second Jazz Matazz make the other type of rehair

As for Autumn Sky se doesn't have the rotting hair, so finding one wit original hair in good condition wouldn't be too hard

An alt rehair for her sounds great, how about using  DH tigerlily? is the same color of one of the leaves, and you could use matte colors for the yellow and red

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »

Yeah is hard to decide to do original or an alt rehair  >_<  you can also do one and if you find a second Jazz Matazz make the other type of rehair

As for Autumn Sky se doesn't have the rotting hair, so finding one wit original hair in good condition wouldn't be too hard

An alt rehair for her sounds great, how about using  DH tigerlily? is the same color of one of the leaves, and you could use matte colors for the yellow and red

That's a good point. It will probably be hard to find a Jazz Matazz with original hair in good condition, so I guess I'll go with an original rehair. And if I can easily find an Autumn Skye in good condition later, I guess now's as good a time as any to do my first custom rehair ^^

Tigerlily looks great for Autumn Skye, but I want to do 3 colors for her. I'll go with Golden Delicious and Tigerlily for the yellow and orange, but I'm not sure which red I want. I'm thinking either Volcano or Pomme d'amour. I'm leaning toward Volcano, it seems like it gives the combination a more earthy look and I like that.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »

That's a good point. It will probably be hard to find a Jazz Matazz with original hair in good condition, so I guess I'll go with an original rehair. And if I can easily find an Autumn Skye in good condition later, I guess now's as good a time as any to do my first custom rehair ^^

Tigerlily looks great for Autumn Skye, but I want to do 3 colors for her. I'll go with Golden Delicious and Tigerlily for the yellow and orange, but I'm not sure which red I want. I'm thinking either Volcano or Pomme d'amour. I'm leaning toward Volcano, it seems like it gives the combination a more earthy look and I like that.

Yeah, even if a Jazz Matazz has decent original hair chances are that is going to rot in a short time

Agree wit the three colors , that's why I suggested red or yellow in matte

I don't own volcano but it looks very good in your photo , it has a good contrast wit the other colors  :satisfied:

Pomme d'amour looks well if you want a shiny effect  :)

Have you tried polypropylene hair?  ;) it has gorgeous colors however is kind of stiff but it can be solved if you let it sit in boiling water for a few minutes and later use conditioner

The red in Poly caliente es similar to the red leaf, caliente is matte, and a bit more brownish than Pomme d'amour

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »

Yeah, even if a Jazz Matazz has decent original hair chances are that is going to rot in a short time

Agree wit the three colors , that's why I suggested red or yellow in matte

I don't own volcano but it looks very good in your photo , it has a good contrast wit the other colors  :satisfied:

Pomme d'amour looks well if you want a shiny effect  :)

Have you tried polypropylene hair?  ;) it has gorgeous colors however is kind of stiff but it can be solved if you let it sit in boiling water for a few minutes and later use conditioner

The red in Poly caliente es similar to the red leaf, caliente is matte, and a bit more brownish than Pomme d'amour

Yep, I think I'll end up going with Volcano then. Maybe I'll try to work on it tonight, that'd be a nice relaxing project ^_^

Nah, I usually stick with the MLP nylon, since I do almost exclusively G4 commissions for bronies. I did use kanekalon once for a custom that needed dreads, turned out pretty cool.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »

I meant to ask if this affects exclusives from Target, KB, Toys 'R Us, Walmart, etc...or just Dollar General & Avon.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 01:36:56 AM »
Isn't it just a certain shade of pink that does it?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal