collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unicorn themed wedding! Ideas?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Unicorn themed wedding! Ideas?
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »
So, my fiance and I are getting married in Disneyland. We both LOVE fairy tales and magic and royalty and all those types of things. Up until now we've been planning our wedding with a general Fairytale type of vibe. Not overly "Disney", but just a general magical feel. Just recently my fiance and I have been discussing and it struck me how much I REALLY want to incorporate unicorns into our theme and decor too. I'm so excited! We had been tossing around the idea of deer, which I also love, but I was afraid it would give the whole wedding a rustic or Christmas feel (we're getting married early January), neither of which I want. Unicorns fit our theme so much better and they're after all, my favorite mythical creature.

Problem is, even though fiance is totally on board, I'm somewhat hesitant. I'm already afraid of everyone seeing our wedding as a childish, immature event, and I'm trying so hard to keep it a classy, elegant day. I've been searching a lot for ideas about how to tastefully include unicorns in our decor in some way (staying away from a cake topper as we already know we'd like for that), and so far all I'm coming across  are little girls' birthday parties. This further makes me think that it might be a stupid idea and we should leave the unicorns alone.

But I know this is a creative, nonjudgmental group which is why I'm coming to you! I would really appreciate ANY suggestions, ideas, or even just words of encouragement. Thanks!!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Unicorn themed wedding! Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:04:01 PM »
I like the idea of unicorns being added to your wedding! I think it's beautiful! Maybe go with more elegant style unicorns over cartoony sort, then I don't think it will seem childish at all.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
I actually know exactly what you're dealing with.  Everyone has been assuming that my wedding will be My Little Pony based because our colors aren't just one or two colors... the theme is rainbow!  My fiance has been on board with this since I brought it up with him soon after our engagement a few years ago, but now that we've gotten the ball rolling with having a date secured for this year and such, people are like "So I'm guessing you'll have ponies everywhere, right?" and that's not it at all.  >_< 

I've been trying to figure out how to do the rainbow thing while still being classy and elegant about it, so we're going with pastel colors because I feel like brighter colors will come off as childish.  Even if I love brighter colors.  :lol: But I feel like lighter, pale colors will look a lot better for a wedding.

I agree with the above post though, stay away from cartoony unicorns and you should be fine.

You could even do something very simple, like find a way to just have tiny unicorns are your cake topper, to incorporate them in there somehow.

I hope you figure out some way to have unicorns be a part of your wedding!
Instagram / Want List

ladyleaf3

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »
oh that sounds so amazing, I'm so jealous! maybe a unicorn ice sculpture   :biggrin:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »
It's a Disney wedding, right?  So incorporate the unicorns from Fantasia.  They're pastel and in a classic style which will make them seem a bit more refined, especially if the rest of your decor includes Disney characters.

Perhaps you could use them as details in centerpieces.  If the colors don't match up you could always use silhouettes in whatever colors fit your scheme.

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »
You could incorporate unicorns into your centerpieces.  Breyer makes some really elegant and beautiful unicorn models that you could use.  You could make flower centerpieces and incorporate the Breyer models into it.  I think that would look really nice.  I love the idea of including a unicorn theme in your wedding!

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »
You sound just like me wanting a fairytale wedding at Disney! =D This sounds corny, but I think maybe you could sort of 'cosplay' as a unicorn bride! ^ͺ^ I would keep pastel colors and white in mind!!! Do you plan on having a reception!? That would be the perfect place to add unicorns too! Cake toppers, napkins, party favors, unicorn shaped confetti, etc!

CONGRATS btw!!!! I absolutley LOVE talking about wedding stuff!!!!!

Offline Mori_LeStrange

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:23:57 PM »
Congratulations! Sounds like you'll have an amazing wedding. I like the idea of silhouettes if you're wanting something more classic.

The unicorn themed wedding reminded me of this Offbeat Bride post. I love this thing. http://offbeatbride.com/2012/07/wedding-unicorn

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
I love unicorns!  I would look for images of the type of unicorn that is tall, graceful, and deer-like, the sort that is kind of half-hidden in the woods.  Or tapestry unicorns--maybe there are decorations with images from the Unicorn Tapestries on them?

This is the kind of unicorn I was thinking of:

For colors, I'd suggest lots and lots of white and cream. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 02:11:15 AM »
 what about some ice statues ? and two unis on the cake ? i plan to incorparate mlp in my wedding by putting ponies in the flower arrangements on the tables and on the invites match your pony on the invite to the one on the table and you know where you are sitting :)xaflame

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 04:35:04 AM »
I don't know what all goes into wedding decorations to give anything specific. I did nothing for my wedding, just eloped..

I think you could infuse elegant unicorn silhouettes...

I can imagine a unicorn etched into the wine glasses.

Or invitations that have a hand stamped small unicorn with flourishes on the bottom. Same unicorn can be on seating arrangements or program.

Maybe the little wrap that goes around the bouquet has a 2-3 inch unicorn decoration ( flat silhoette, one color, possible glitter or shiny finish). If you have vases of flowrrs at reception table, the same thing can be on those vases (with a ribbon?)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 06:18:32 AM »
If it where me I'd probably print unicorn silhouettes on the table placer cards. Heraldic are among the best ones, in my opinion. Horses aren't my thing but since it's Disney themed ... have you considered looking for horned bridles? What Disney princess wouldn't ride a carriage pulled by unicorns? (Or maybe this is on the tacky side?)
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »
Thank you all so much for your ideas and encouragement! I really was afraid this was going to sound totally cheesy and immature but I'm happy it doesn't have to be!

Our colors are lavender and silver so I'm hoping if I use the unicorns in mostly silver that will help class them up a bit. Gosh, how I wish we could have unicorn ice sculptures! Haha, might be too expensive, but it did give me the idea to look for possible glass sculptures instead! And I LOVE the idea of having them etched into wineglasses!!

I don't collect Breyer horses so I had no idea they even made unicorns, how pretty! My fiance and I still have absolutely no idea what our centerpieces are going to be, but looking at the Breyers I have some lovely ideas about how we might be able to include them is we spray paint them silver. Not sure if he'll like having them so huge, but it's definitely worth a shot haha. If not, I'm sure we can include smaller ones somehow. I also adore the idea of possibly adding some small, subtle charms to the bouquets in some way.

I have so many more ideas now, you guys are awesome!!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 12:08:15 PM »
Unicorns are rather easy to find on necklaces, could be a nice gift for your bridesmaid(s). You could even put a decal on a fingernail or two.

Agreed, they could be tastefully incorporated as a part of centerpieces. You could make a small realistic forest diorama using teeny tiny breyer unicorns that have already have been mentioned. (Size wise about 6"x6".)

Good luck with your planning!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »
I agree with the Tapestry-type unicorns.  It was actually the very first thought that came to mind when you mentioned weddings and unicorns together :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal