collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Makes You Lose Interest In Ponies? . . .  (Read 5530 times)

CottonTALE

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What Makes You Lose Interest In Ponies? . . .
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »
For me it's Bronies.... or at least the brony fandom as a whole.

They have taken what is an innocent, lovable series and have perverted it beyond repair. Most bronies I know are ignorant, childish, self-centred and very much think that they are the target audience (not the little girls) I heard one brony say that the show is not for little girls anymore because of the finale in season 4. Just because there's an action scene, that automatically makes it theirs and not for the intended audience.

Then there are the bronies who lay "claim" over certain characters, such as when I say Fluttershy is my favourite pony, they yell at me and say "No, she's my favourite. Therefore you aren't allowed to like her"

That being said, I only collect G4 ponies, G3/G4 Fluttershy things and the Equestria Girls dolls (so far.) I had some people over at my house and when they saw my collection, they said "Oh you're a brony?" and I almost lost my cool on them. I refuse to be ascociated with such people.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »
I met a brony that I like at Ponycon to be fair he's the only brony I ever met so I'm doing well. I don't think bony culture is all bad. The only thing that turns me off ponies is my own lack of space and time to enjoy them.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
I met a brony that I like at Ponycon to be fair he's the only brony I ever met so I'm doing well. I don't think bony culture is all bad. The only thing that turns me off ponies is my own lack of space and time to enjoy them.

They have taken what is an innocent, lovable series and have perverted it beyond repair. Most bronies I know are ignorant, childish, self-centred and very much think that they are the target audience (not the little girls) I heard one brony say that the show is not for little girls anymore because of the finale in season 4. Just because there's an action scene, that automatically makes it theirs and not for the intended audience.

Then there are the bronies who lay "claim" over certain characters, such as when I say Fluttershy is my favourite pony, they yell at me and say "No, she's my favourite. Therefore you aren't allowed to like her"

That being said, I only collect G4 ponies, G3/G4 Fluttershy things and the Equestria Girls dolls (so far.) I had some people over at my house and when they saw my collection, they said "Oh you're a brony?" and I almost lost my cool on them. I refuse to be ascociated with such people.

I've heard the term "brony" before and always thought it just meant male fan of MLP, but the way its used above has me confused. Can some clarify the definition for me?

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »

Behavior like this has almost killed my love of FiM, but I can't let a group of morons ruin something that I love. However, I will avoid them. What really gets me is how they blast previous generations. MLP has its roots and the older generations don't need to "burn". I'll admit the G1 cartoons are cheesy but they are MLP's foundation.

At first I thought it was great more men got into MLP. Now I'm pretty saddened about the existance of bronies. I know not all are bad, there are good ones. But I don't want to be labed as a brony. I'm a collector and MLP fan.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »
I lost interest in the newest wave, from 3.5 onwards. They no longer had the sparkle I enjoyed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 06:05:16 PM »

I've heard the term "brony" before and always thought it just meant male fan of MLP, but the way its used above has me confused. Can some clarify the definition for me?

It's a term that was used for any older male fan of MLP, but has come to also be used to mean the group of bad egg older male fans that try to ruin it for everyone else :shrug: There's some in every fanbase, sadly. For the record, all of the self-proclaimed "bronies" I've met have been really lovely, friendly people, so whilst I've seen a few people use it to only mean the bad eggs, not everyone uses it in a negative way.

I've seen some female fans call themselves "bronies", too, though I think the term "pegasister" is more common :lol:
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »
I usually get obsessed with something else. I did get fed up G4 and sold them and needing money desperately due to my husband's illness didn't help. I do have my G1s and a few G3s displayed in the living room in an old entertainment center. When people comment on it my interest peaks back up.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
I started losing interest when the Core 7 of the G3s were released. Over and over and . . . over.  Nothing has reignited my interest.

However, I even lost interest in collecting the older toys. Maybe because there are just too many "grown-up problems" demanding my time and attention. My deteriorating health became more important to me than plastic.  In fact, maybe in my desire to discover the roots of my illness and my push to try to minimize my exposure to toxins, I grew wary of the old ponies with their breaking-down plastic and phthalates.

I have to spend money on vitamins, thyroid supplements, saliva tests, switching to expensive organic foods and grass-fed beef. All sorts of things like that. Doesn't leave me with pony money.

Then there's also the realization that, in the end, it all turns to dust anyway. Better to focus on things that really matter to me. If I could figure out the most satisfying way to thin my ponies out without expending too much time and energy, I would probably do it. Sometimes, I think I should just donate it all to Value Village and let the local kids/collectors have at it. I haven't done that yet since I guess I'm still attached to them just enough.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 07:24:19 PM »
There was a lot of unfair deaths in my life last year- and I think as a result I was feeling especially blue at Christmas (which inevitably is a weird time when certain people are missing) and disenchanted with my toys.

I actually ended up gathering all my MOC stuff - nothing valuable or vintage, just the g4 brushables that were essentially different versions of the first, and all my boxed Monster High/Ever After dolls, and even some Strawberry Shortcake dolls- and dumping it all in the Toys for Tots bin of the Bartell's in the building where I work.  I guess I liked the idea of some kid being happy to get this stuff that wasn't bringing me joy and which I didn't have the energy to sell. 

Also trying hard not to collect new stuff, but that is actually harder...

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 07:28:28 AM »
I've sort of put ponies on a backbuner/lost interest over the last year and a bit.

It started with me being unemployed and just during that time I wasn't in a great place, and of course money issues because I was claiming JSA so had a very limited amount of funds so couldn't really buy any ponies and stuff, and even though I started studying and have a bit more money because of student finance it's just been hard to get back into ponies, like I'm out of the loop and at least with FiM I just don't see much in the current toy line I want, haven't caught up with the show, and just I mean I need to get my collection sorted out but just haven't had the time/motivation. I still love mlp but at the moment my motivation for anything collecting based has sort of gone lately and I also sort of stopped hanging around here as well.

And like a lot of the time the 'you shouldn't be buying toys or anything that's /not essential/' kicks in as well so that's been dampening my interest. Like even though I know it's good to occasionally get something indulgent as a 'sanity break' it's like 'But that's 15 quid, so that's like nearly two days worth of train fare!'
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:30:14 AM by starrypawz »

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Truly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »
Mental illness (PTSD, Depression, etc) has really hit me hard, though I may not be collecting I still love my ponies and currently I'm just browsing through people's collections and such here online, and just looking at pretty ponies in my room and on eBay etc.
Postage prices lately have also caused me to not buy as much actively, and also I think I may be nearing completion of the sets I like.
Also being bullied/picked on over my collection doesn't help, especially from people who I care about.... It just takes some joy away...
Also as much as I hate to say it, the bad eggs of bronies. But otherwise than the usual bad eggs of this fandom, the rest are fantastic and I love seeing you guys around! Thank you for being great members of the pony community!
Another thing that makes me disheartened in ponies in generation hate, and when I went to look for funko ponies there was two guys and one had pony stuff and I got excited to see another pony fan around and trying to get up the courage to say hello to make a new friend, as they were in line to buy their pony stuff, the guys friend was excited too and asked if his friend had seen g1 ponies at which his friend said very unkind things, the boy that asked about g1 ponies looked really sad at all the things his friend was saying and went quiet and looked away. It just made me really sad to see that.
And the amount of times on my deviantart ages ago that I had to put in my description to not say negative things about the generation of the pony as it has nothing to do with my art, and well they mean a lot to me and there's no need to be so hateful really. I appreciate critique if I had the colours too dark or whatever, but seriously, I don't need a comment on how much you hate g1 ponies, it was a picture for myself of my childhood pony, I do not want to hear it... I just don't understand the hate, no one is forcing anyone to like different ponies, it's just silly.
But yeah, going through a big rough patch where family refuse to acknowledge my existence and knowing that other mental illness that I have is incurable, unresolved break up, etc has really taken the sparkle and joy out of ponies that used to be there... They still make me happy, and I'm definitely keeping them, but still, just waiting for the sparkle to come back into my life again and to get back into collecting :)

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »

It's a term that was used for any older male fan of MLP, but has come to also be used to mean the group of bad egg older male fans that try to ruin it for everyone else :shrug: There's some in every fanbase, sadly. For the record, all of the self-proclaimed "bronies" I've met have been really lovely, friendly people, so whilst I've seen a few people use it to only mean the bad eggs, not everyone uses it in a negative way.

I've seen some female fans call themselves "bronies", too, though I think the term "pegasister" is more common :lol:
In this connotation we're meaning the "Me" bronies, that are self-entitled and celebrate taking something away from little girls (my brony group had a post like that and I just about went to all of their houses to give them severe talking to) and over sexualize ponies, not the  kind bronies I more call "fans of friendship" who enjoy the show and use that enjoyment to further enhance the enjoyment for others, rather than detract.
I have this issue too, as there used to be more fans of friendship in my area, but they all got fed up with the "me" bronies and left. 

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »
When there are other serious things going on in my life, ponies go on the back burner. Sometimes it takes months or years for things to cool down (and of course, money is always something to be aware of).

Other than that, sometimes the community will turn me off or I'm not into what's going on right now. I'm pretty exclusively a G1 fan overall (save a few G2s for reasons I don't understand) so things are slow a lot.

:think:
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2015, 02:53:07 AM »
My deal was I fell in too fast, and hasbro kept repeating the same characters, I grew impatient with going to the toy aisle and not seeing what I wanted, you know, a new pony.. I ended up getting into EAH and mh so it kinda dwindles my ponies out, I still have over 40 at I couldn't part with...

But with the new pops and the water ponies, I ended up spending $50 yesterday on the hasbro site.. Lol I don't think its a reintroduction to the pony craze, but I do feel a little more joy haha.

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »
so many good answers in this thread thanks to everyone's thoughtfulness for sharing

I second

drama... especially since for me it's never been about the stuff - I love hanging with fun pony peeps so really don't need or care for drama over stuff

real life hitting like a tsunami kinda like others said  = crisis crap wakes ya up and forces priorities and it's not gonna be spent styling pony hair... that for me was huge last year for me to realize at the end of the day  life is like a monopoly board game and after the game is done and it's time to pack up, I don't want to be so attached thinking "I'm the hat" instead of I just move the hat that I get put away in the box... stuff is just stuff but the time spent with friends is the reason we hang here, go to meets, make customs, do swaps etc.  so when that can't happen for me, pony interest fades

I really hope to see you guys again before you two move but I am excited for you all as I know that's been a goal of yours for awhile so fingers crossed and sending good vibes your way  :hug:

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal