collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Musical Instruments! Who plays what!?  (Read 1922 times)

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
Musical Instruments! Who plays what!?
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
Guys, I FINALLY decided what my New Years Resolution is going to be!!! So im 23, been outta school for a while now, since I was 17. I miss miss MISS being in concert band and playing flute/piccolo. I sadly dont own a flute, but want to pick one up. I used to get lost while playing flute..... I imagined little fantasy animations like in Fantasia while I played pieces with my class! So this year I want to buy a flute and start playing again at home. Im looking for any offet G flute (very tiny hands LOL) that is silver-plated. Im so excited about this!!! I also played violin fpr a very short time, but Orchestra and Concert band were two different things at my school and they had class at the same time.

Lets talk about what kinds of instruments people here have played in band/orchestra/ etc!! What was your guy's favorite pieces you played!? :D

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
Re: Musical Instruments! Who plays what!?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 02:11:12 AM »
I don't have a musical bone in my body. I can however shake a tambourine, maracas, and play a triangle poorly. I work with kids and have at times had children cover their ears during one of my terrible singing sessions lol.

I would love to learn an instrument im just not coordinated enough :(

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 02:21:09 AM »
Hi! I played the violin for ten years or so.  My favorite pieces played in orchestra and chamber group were Adagio in G Minor by Giazotto (Albinoni), and Bach's 'double' Violin Concerto in D minor.  I didn't play the solo in the Giazotto although I tried out for it, but I did play the first part in the double violin concerto a few years later.

Nowadays I play the guitar and sing because I enjoy the discipline of singing without the pressure.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:15:13 AM »
We never had a band/orchestra so to speak but I did play guitar when I was in school.

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:18:43 AM »
I was in a Brazilian percussion ensemble for 2 years; I play agogo bells, tamborim (not to be confused with tambourine!), chocalho shaker and abit of drums  :) Miss street busking!

Offline TickleMePink

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:24 AM »
I´ve played the violin for 8 years, and studied classical singing and piano. I studied music att college and a while after that, and aimed for a carreer as a music teacher, but then turned around and became a social counsellor instead. I kept on singing gospel for ten years, then life kind of came inbetween and I didn´t have the time anymore. Now I just sing and play the piano, and occasionally write music at home. It´s always gonna be a part of my life though.
:lovey: Yes to dance beneith the diamond sky with one hand waving free :lovey:
Thanks to Nence for my avatar!
Formerly known as gredelingrrrl

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 05:50:36 AM »
Keyboard, recorder, ocarina, melodica, and drums. :rim: I also learned how to play guitar in high school. I could probably pick it up again if my guitar wasn't still in Arizona.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 06:59:25 AM »
I've been playing instruments for almost 15 years now - hard to believe! My main instrument now (for half of that time, essentially) is the bassoon. I play it in a local community orchestra. I also love the tenor saxophone and oboe, but I haven't been able to learn either of them as well as I would have liked...  :sad:

|My Collection|

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »
I played piano for years, then joined the band and picked up the oboe, and now I can't play either one of them very well!  I lost the ability to read bass and treble clef at the same time when playing the oboe, so I can kill it on the right hand, but my left is in sad sad shape with the piano.  I did pit percussion during marching season, and that was probably my favorite thing to do, I absolutely loved the marimba and chimes and I'd love to pick that back up, but they're just too expensive to play around with at home!

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:18:32 AM »
I wish you the best of luck, Sprinklecupcake!

I never took music lessons when I was younger - I was into ballet, modern dance, and Girl Scouts, so I already had quite a bit on my plate. But after running across some gorgeous piano covers in November, I finally decided I want to teach myself how to play the electronic keyboard. (We don't have a piano.)

I tried playing the recorder last summer (lol), but since one of our dogs howled every time I played I gave up on that one. :T
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:31:57 AM »
I answered this question for you on Instagram, but I'll go into more detail here!

I learned to play the piano when I was about 4 or 5. My grandmother strongly believes that the piano is a great foundation as far as instruments goes, and I have to agree with her.  Plus everyone in my family could play piano so I guess it's a family thing for us as well.

When I was in middle school, I joined the band, thinking that I'd play clarinet. At the time, I was told that I could either play that or the saxophone, because those two instruments were readily available at my house and we wouldn't have to buy a new instrument if I picked one of those. So I went with clarinet, but my teacher thought I was better suited for the saxophone.  I play alto saxophone from 5th grade on, and I was invited to join the high school marching band when I was in 8th grade!  Along with only 2 other people in my grade, I got to play in the high school marching band and it was amazing.

The next year (when I was actually in high school), I was told to switch to tenor saxophone and I became the leader of my section in 10th grade. During 10th grade, we wanted to do something different for the halftime shows, so the direction asked if anyone could play bass guitar. My friend (who was a senior at the time) had been learning how to play, but he jokingly said "Renia can do it!" because I had been inquiring about having him teach me the bass guitar.  The director went with it (and I didn't deny it), and so I took 3 months of bass guitar lessons and that was enough to have me ready for the football season.  :lol: Since then, I've taught myself any lessons I didn't get from the lessons I took.

Along the way, I've played bass clarinet and drums (mostly the snare) for various things. I also played the recorder back in elementary school.

You would think all this instrument playing would've kept me busy in school, but I also participated in musicals, and when I was younger I took tap, ballet and jazz dance classes. Whether it's singing, dancing, or playing an instrument, music is a huge part of my life.  ^.^

Although your resolution makes me want to pick up playing the piano regularly again. Hopefully when my fiance and I move into a house later this year, we can finally get his piano from his mom's house and we can both get back into playing again!

Oh, and when I did district band while I was a senior in high school, the theme was movie and TV show songs. We did Knightrider, Jurassic Park, some other stuff I can't remember... but I remember that the Robocop theme was my absolute favorite song to play!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:12:30 AM by MoonbeamStar »
Instagram / Want List

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 09:49:26 AM »
Taishogoto.

only had like 3 performances though. and i haven't practiced in a while, but this is by far the best instrument i've learned how to play.

also have learned:
piano...., guitar, and the clarinet.

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
WOW! Soooo many musically active people here!!! :D As far as other performing arts go, I also took ballet starting in middle school up until my parents got divorced and I actually havnt started singing until after high school, I regret not joining choir or something. But flute is one of those things I have never forgotten how to do and something I have had urges to do since I stopped playing!!! Recorder was actually my 'first instrument' LOL! In 5th grade we had this thing called "recorder karate' and I actually passed all the silly little songs we had to play, I remember how annoying as crap that class was with 27 kids tooting on those darn things! xD

I also have a story how I 'met my instrument'! That same year in 5th grade, a select group of kids in my grade were sent to the music classroom and look/test out different instruments. Ever seen the first Tinkerbell movie where Tink discovers her talent in front of all those fairies? It was like that! Except.... the flute didnt glow LMAO. I tried out reed instruments, they hurt my mouth. Everyone was hogging or waiting in line for percussions so I wanted to wait my turn for the flute. Now the supervisor in charge of the flute said flute is one of the hardest instruments to start off playing, besides oboe (which feels like blowing through a drinking straw stuck in a potato to me! xD). I was the last kid to try out the flute and when I held it, it felt heavy but I was the ONLY kid there to get a crisp sound from the flute on my first try. The lady held up the flute for me, told me to make sound for as long as I could while she started to play a scale. I got several notes in! The music teacher called my mom and I got my first flute that summer! I will never forget that special moment!!! TwT

I think my favorite thing we played in band was pieces of both Mount Kilamanjaro + Lion King songs. We played alll kinds of cool African songs in that performance and it was sooo fun!

Some of these instruments you guys posted I have never even heard of!!! So cool!!! A weird underrated instrument I have always wanted to play is the dulcimer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:32:01 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 10:25:16 AM »
Sounds like a fun project!

I was never in band or a group thing, but I did take keyboard lessons for a few years in high school (stopped in grade 12 when things go too busy and it felt more like a chore than an enjoyment). But I did like it, and my keyboard and stand is still in my parents' basement.

Hubby played alto sax in high school - to this day I still love hearing the opening of Jurassic Park. Takes me back to high school when they played that song, and the alto's are the primary instrument. So I'd be in math class and hear that song and know it was mostly my sweetie I was hearing (and the other 2 altos, but they didn't matter ;) ).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:27:10 AM by Kiwi »
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »
Clarinet.  I was also apart of the choir when I was in highschool :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal