collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips and Advice for a Newbie seller?  (Read 741 times)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
Tips and Advice for a Newbie seller?
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:49:29 AM »
Hi hi! I grabbed a couple of Holly Dashes today to sell or trade to people who can't get them in their countries, but as I've never really sold much before, and haven't traded, I just wanted to ask a few questions -

Are partial trades common? So if I put an item on my trade list that is of a higher value I would make up the difference with money, etc.

I'm willing to accept trades OR direct sales, which forum do I post it in?

And...shipping. What's the customs form etiquette for a trade as, obviously, no money has changed hands and all!

I'd really like to help out those that can't get her, but it's a lil intimidating, especially given all the problems you hear about :lol:
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
Re: Tips and Advice for a Newbie seller?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »
1 - Are partial trades common.  I don't think they are uncommon. I've done it. As long as both sides agree that the trade is fair, then it is good! It isn't uncommon for people to trade two more common ponies for an uncommon one, so making up the difference in cash is also acceptable. Just be clear how the cash is to be sent - concealed in the parcel (not safe!) or paypal (safe!).

2 - You would post your sale in the sale forum, and the trade in the trade forum. You can have one thread in each forum, and you are allowed to have one in each at the same time.  For example, I posted a bunch of ponies in the sales forum, and the same list in the trade forum. I put a link in each one saying 'these ponies are for sale OR trade, for prices see my sales thread here' (and to see what I am trading for, see my trade thread here).

3 - When trading, each person pays their own shipping. The only time it might be an issue, is if one person is shipping something really expensive and the other something not expensive to ship. But that should be brought up before the trade proceeds rather than after things are in the mail.

4 - I think I misunderstood the question.  When trading, I mark items as a gift. They aren't merchandise, you are sending something to someone and they aren't buying it, so basically... you are sending them a gift, and they are sending you a gift. Recepients are responsible for paying customs fees if they happen!

5 - Going to add one - get tracking and insurance. Or make sure your trade/sale partner agrees to not hold you liable in case something happens. For example, if you are trading expensive ponies, and neither of you wants to get nailed with a customs fee, then you can both agree to send the packages with a low declaration and marked as a gift. However, if something goes wrong, you also both have to agree not to flame the other. This is assuming both people package well. 

Most trades/sales go off without a hitch. You really only hear a lot about the bad ones. ^.^
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:36:11 AM by Thunderwing »

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »
Thank you! I wasn't sure if I was only allowed one thread or not, thanks for clearing that up ^^

I mean that customs forms want a value of money paid for the item(s) in the parcel, but that's kind of impossible with a trade :lol: So do you put how much you paid for the pony you're trading? It doesn't really matter so much, as the value of the pony is under the customs limit, but I'm just curious for future reference.

First class postage compensation covers the retail value of Holly Dash if the worst happens, and the post office gives proof of postage receipts. For something this cheap I don't think tracking is really necessary, given it costs over twice the regular postage price (and isn't even guaranteed outside the UK). Generally, the items on my trade list are other G4 ponies of the same size, so shipping weights shouldn't differ much.

I'm planning on sending them in bubble envelopes because both already have badly creased/torn cards (not much point in trying to keep the cards mint when they aren't lol), and I'm happy to receive ponies in a bubble envelope without tracking and insurance. Obviously I'd warn my potential buyer/trader before hand to be sure they were okay with this. I guess it's all reasonable so long as both parties are satisfied with how things are being posted?
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
Hiya, i am in the UK and i ship internationally.  When I do, the post office will give you a CN22 sticker.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
2015_0111customssticker0001 by sallistina, on Flickr

Fill it honestly.  If its worth a fiver, put a fiver, if its 500 then put 500.  Don't try and trick customs by putting a lower value in an attempt to "protect" your package from would be thieves. It will only end in tears if the worst should happen and it does go missing and you cannot claim for the 500 its worth only the 20 you wrote on the customs form.

Yes as long as your buyer is happy with an untracked bubble mailer then that is fine. At then end of the day, your customer knows what they want and will pay for what style shipping they want.  As long as you ship to their needs you will be fine :D

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 05:08:20 PM »
They keep making those forms smaller!  :mad: Last time I shipped internationally I couldn't fit everything on there :lol: Thank you for your input ^^

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »
Those are the normal UK customs forms ( - unless you are sending something via Parcelforce/other courier/superfast expensive service, then you have a much bigger form. ) Its just a sticker and its easy to fill in :)  Do put the correct value though. If its a trade then I tick the "gift" box, if its a partial the  I tick the "gift" and "other" boxes TBH, if its not then you need to just tick the "other" box. :awake:
It's ok to do a trade or a partial trade if you prefer that over selling . As for shipping methods, check with your trade partner or buyer and give them the options (ordinary airmail, tracked and signed, signed, whatever) . If the person is wanting to keep Holly Dash on her card then its safer to use a box (and not much difference in price I wouldn't think for such a small light item) rather than a bubble envelope, unless the buyer/trader says its ok to use a bubble envelope or wants you to decard the pony anyways :)
I think you've got some good advice on this thread already. I cant think of anything else to add right now but I will post later  if I think of anything
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal