collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning and identification help, please!  (Read 390 times)

Offline EmeraldEyesPhoenix

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • butts butts butts
    • View Profile
Cleaning and identification help, please!
« on: January 09, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
Long story short, my cousin left behind her stuff that includes her mom's large doll collection. I volunteered to clean them up. Some we know for sure are Madame Alexander, but the others are a mystery. I'm already assuming everything has smoke damage.

Here's an imgur album of them, since the images are quite big.

The one in red I'm assuming, based off of looks, the stamp on her back, and google, is an Ideal Chrissy... She's solid plastic, and the clothes look to be regular baby clothes. She also has some white crust around both eyes.

The one in green...I'm at a loss. She's stamped Alexander on the back of her head, and has eyes that remind me of 20s-30s animation style. Otherwise, porcelain head and hands with a stuffed body.

Both have matted, sticky hair that I'm assuming is from smoke.

How do I clean these dolls without harming their features, or how can I at least get out the smell first???
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:22:46 PM by EmeraldEyesPhoenix »
wacky wahoo pizza

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning and identification help, please!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:39:38 PM »
Yep, that's baby Crissy! Here's a great site all about Crissy and I do mean all!!
http://crissyandbeth.com/Main.html

There's a whole section on cleaning/caring for your doll which includes a tutorial for removing the crud from her eyes (it's actually mold, eww!!!)
http://crissyandbeth.com/crissyfiles/EyeMold.pdf

I have no idea on the other doll but I swear I've seen her somewhere before...

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:51 AM »
Any plastic or vinyl doll is going to be 1948 and after.  I don't know who your Mme Alexander baby is, but she's likely some reproduction or collector doll produced in the late 1960's to 1970's.  She could be 80's too, but I'm not entirely sure, but she is made out of a rather rotten line of Alexander plastic that fades terribly and was mostly used mid 1960 and later. 

And I've heard other collectors say other things about the 'eye mold,' but that will work to clean it.  Doll cleaner and a blow dryer on the eyes will work as well. 

In terms of smell, goodluck.  Getting scents out of cloth bodies and plastic is difficult at best.  Airing them out will do them a world of good, maybe combined with some dryer sheets.  The only product I've had good success with in removing plastic odors, including cigarettes, is extremely difficult to track down, and I don't even know if they make it anymore.  It was called ZeroOdor and some people have said you can find it at Home Depot or Lowe's, but the stuff was really phenomenal on getting odors out of things that other things wouldn't. 

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
I hope that you can restore them nicely! They are quite cute. :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal