collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you wish some of these animals were still around?

OMG YES!
12 (35.3%)
No! Are you crazy? Just look at that thing!
2 (5.9%)
Maybe? It depends on what it is.
18 (52.9%)
This poll is lame. Those animals would never survive in our climate today.
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Favorite Ancient Critters  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Ancient Critters
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »
For sure.  Australia had some amazing ones in particular.  Who wouldn't want to go out and see a giant wombat wandering about?  It's sad we hardly have any megafauna left.

I have to agree. Megafauna species are amazing, especially when it's some freakishly large version of an average-sized animal. The ones that make you go "Wait what?!" Same goes for pygmy species.

Offline evilbunnyfoofoo

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »
Oh, what joy it would be to own a little oreodont!

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 12:53:26 AM »
Ah, it depends--but if they aren't here anymore, theres a good reason why ;) 

Many of the animals were larger back then due to the oxygen level at the time as well--they wouldn't survive today, even if there were a few around.

Passenger Pigeons would beg to differ. >>; Anyway, just because a species is extinct doesn't necessarily mean it had a good reason to go. Many of earth's species died out because some sort of tragic natural disasters that caused mass extinctions.  I wouldn't call a freak event like an asteroid strike a good reason for millions of critters to die off out of nowhere.

Also I think they've sort of thrown out the idea that Earth's oxygen levels have fluctuated a great deal over the last few million years. Aside from water-dwelling species, the only other animals whose sizes I know of  that are directly linked to greater oxygen levels are insects or other arthropods. Reptiles usually tend to get bigger where warmer climates exist. Oxygen might not have all that much to do with massive reptile sizes for a good chunk of prehistory since (as far I'm aware) they don't exactly have powerful respiratory systems. Reptiles lack diaphragms and rely on the few muscles in their chest cavity to help them breathe. The same goes for for birds (and probably dinosaurs), but their respiratory system is something else entirely. Oxygen levels don't necessarily have to be higher for larger animals to spring up. Their respiratory systems could also evolve to be more efficient. There are many larger species of animals that have adapted to live up in high, oxygen-thin altitudes. They've even found out that humans living in these environments tend to have a greater number of red blood cells. Climate differences probably have more to do with whether or not they would survive today.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 01:10:06 AM »
I love all sabre toothed kitties <3...I just realized I should have picked maybe as terror birds scare me horribly for some reason (I even had a series of nightmares about them ;_;).

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 07:41:43 PM »

Many of the animals were larger back then due to the oxygen level at the time as well--they wouldn't survive today, even if there were a few around.

Passenger Pigeons would beg to differ. >>; Anyway, just because a species is extinct doesn't necessarily mean it had a good reason to go.

The dodo bird would wholeheartedly agree, as do several breeds of chickens, cattle, and others that are heading toward extinction due to irresponsible breeding or a lack of interest.

But I'm going off-topic. Personally, I'd like to see archaeopteryx, they're pretty neat!
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »
Smilodon Fatalis! Easily my fave. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 10:03:35 PM »

Passenger Pigeons would beg to differ. >>; Anyway, just because a species is extinct doesn't necessarily mean it had a good reason to go.

The dodo bird would wholeheartedly agree, as do several breeds of chickens, cattle, and others that are heading toward extinction due to irresponsible breeding or a lack of interest.

But I'm going off-topic. Personally, I'd like to see archaeopteryx, they're pretty neat!

Id love to see archaeopetryx as well!!!! I bet it was really flipping cute! xD I could see them being an exotic pet if they were living fossils!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal