collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is Mimic so sought after?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline blazywazy110

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Why is Mimic so sought after?
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »
I'm not too familiar with G1's myself, and I've seen Mimic on so many wanted lists and for such high prices.

Why is she so sought after opposed to other gem-eyed ponies?

(Sorry if this question has a really obvious answer. ^^;

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Mimic so sought after?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:38:18 PM »
She's harder to find, as she (along with some others) was released in lesser numbers, and being green, possibly wasn't as widely purchased as other ponies from her set. While she isn't impossible to get hold of, she is on the rarer end of the regular G1 US ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,363793.0.html

Comes up at least once every few months it seems. *chuckle*
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 11:29:11 AM »
I think its the sought after group mentality :P The more people who want her...the more people who want her.

As the other thread details she is not harder to find than the equally released Bright Eyes or Quackers, its just that more people look for her. Its also worth remembering that while ponies dont have an RRP any more technically; ponies do still have a "value" - a price that collectors accept a pony is worth and are therefore willing to pay.

MO Firefly is a very hard pony to track down - much harder than Mimic and she is pretty sought after. But the price people are willing to pay for her - her collector value - is relatively low. With Mimic, the community accept her value as up at that $90+ mark and therefore people are willing to bid and buy her at that kind of level.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,363793.0.html

Comes up at least once every few months it seems. *chuckle*

Once a week at this point. Lol

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
I still need her to finish my TE set but I refuse to pay more than $120 for her. And she's gotta be minty for $120.

The prices she's hitting recently are insane! I'd rather buy a Nirvana pony for that much money.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:16:53 PM »
I have her and I know why shes so popular. I believe its the classic supply meets demand. Her colors are awesome and her pose is pretty. The fact she has her own episode in the golden horseshoes made her even more special. At least to me. Yes I know there are other ponies that are prettier. Though not every pony was featured in the Tv series which did help some ponies become more in demand.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
I'm not too familiar with G1's myself, and I've seen Mimic on so many wanted lists and for such high prices.

Why is she so sought after opposed to other gem-eyed ponies?

(Sorry if this question has a really obvious answer. ^^;

Always feel free to ask questions! You won't know the answer unless you ask and we are always happy to help. :) Also I have nothing else to add to what the other have said, but Cat sums it up perfectly :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »
She's sort of a collecting status symbol.  She's not common like Cotton Candy, but not really "hard to find".  She's just popular.

Red Roses and Diamond Dreams are similar cases;  originally collectors bought and sold them for the same price as the other ponies in their sets, but then their popularity skyrocketed and now they sell for much more.  (In their case probably due to the popularity of yellow ponies.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
Why is this question asked every single week since the dawn of pony?  :biggrin:

Seriously it's just because she is cute and popular and perceived as highly sought. She is not particularly rare.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:31:43 AM »
Why is this question asked every single week since the dawn of pony?  :biggrin:

Seriously it's just because she is cute and popular and perceived as highly sought. She is not particularly rare.

I have no idea. This has been going on since I got online back in 1997, that's 18 years of the same questions.

I have no idea why she is so 'wanted' - people were talking about this way back at the first pony meet I ever went to back in 1999/2000. There were even collectors who made up silly websites about the shrine of holy mimic or, honestly it's been 18 years I don't remember all the nonsense at this point.

Back in the day we didn't have this resource of pony information that is out there today. A lot of the people who are collectors today were just 2-5 year olds back then.

I myself was a much older collector, starting in 1983/84ish - so I would have been around 11 or 12 when I started collecting. So I knew about all these ponies, I was kind of dedicated from the start. So as far as USA pony stuff goes, I was intent on getting all the ponies.

But a lot of collectors were just little kids who didn't always have access to everything available, they might not have always been aware of how many ponies were out there.

I remember one fellow collector I met saying she never saw mimic and wasn't aware of the pony till she got online as an adult.

A lot of little kids wouldn't have kept the backcards and all that stuff. So many kids who opened they're ponies, who didn't keep the paper materials may have never seen the other ponies. This was back in the day when there wasn't a walmart in every town and some people didn't take a trip to the store every day, waiting on toys to come out.

It isn't like now, where everything is online and we know about the 'new' toys coming out. You didn't see the toys until they showed up in the store or you saw the commercial on tv. Remember back when there were only a couple channels, you didn't have a billion TV channels and we certainly didn't have any dedicated to just cartoons and showing kids programing/commercials.

So I don't think it has anything to do with Mimic being any rarer or limited compared to the other 5 twinkle eye ponies in her particular set.

It has more to do with this being a kids toy, and back in the day you were depending on 5 year olds to know what to buy, when and why and keeping up with that information.

With today's collecting, it's vastly different. We can go online and find out what is new coming out. There are also many more stores where we can find ponies.

But for me, there is nothing HTF about Mimic - I bought her at k-mart for under $6 - she was $5 something I can't remember the exact cent amount. I'll have to scan the backcard front that has the price on it :p

The things that make her unique are per pose - there are only a few uni's in this pose - her color combo and the fact that the original cartoon had an episode about her. A lot of these things add to her mystique. But I don't really believe she is limited, we see her a lot, for sale and in people's collections.\

Mimic simply seems like she's become a sort of status symbol, it's more of a pony people want to buy/own to say Hay, I have a Mimic - I'm an official collector now.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
Because, she's beautiful!  :heart: :heart:  I love that pose, and her colors. She also has a G1 episode about her "The golden horse shoes" so I think that also helped her. Plus, her symbol is cool!

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
I think I'm in the minority for thinking she's one of the ugliest ponies released...

::zips up flame-retardant suit::

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
Mimic simply seems like she's become a sort of status symbol, it's more of a pony people want to buy/own to say Hay, I have a Mimic - I'm an official collector now.

I think you are right about that. Her popularity seems to have spiked once online collector communities were formed...

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
So when someone owns a Mimic pony that means they're officially an MLP collector? :/ what about someone who owns G3 Rosey Posey the Children's Charity Ball hospital pony? ;_;
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal