collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: thinking back on my life...  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
thinking back on my life...
« on: January 02, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
I've realized I never had my little pony as a child XD I never liked them until mid g4. I had I think a couple of fakies, but mostly I played with non-talking fake horses.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is late to this party?  :biggrin:

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: thinking back on my life...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
Not me!  Ponies were all I played with as I child.  I didn't like Barbie or Care Bears or any other toy really.  This has continued into my adult life as MLP is the only thing I collect.  Apparently I'm an MLP lifer  :P.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
My Little Pony definitely didn't appeal to me as a little girl growing up, so I'm right there with you! G4 is what got me into them, and I like G1 a whole lot now that I've started collecting them. I was born in 1990, which I guess was near the tail end of G1, and G2s weren't popular over here from what I've seen/heard, so it's no wonder that I had no interest in ponies until I became an adult.
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »
My Little Pony definitely didn't appeal to me as a little girl growing up, so I'm right there with you! G4 is what got me into them, and I like G1 a whole lot now that I've started collecting them. I was born in 1990, which I guess was near the tail end of G1, and G2s weren't popular over here from what I've seen/heard, so it's no wonder that I had no interest in ponies until I became an adult.
I was born 1988, so it would make sense from my point of view. Now I get a g1 pony and go "We're almost the same age!" and sit there and compliment them for making it through all these years. I wish I'd known about g2 at the time though! They would have gotten along swimmingly with my barbie horses and cheaply made flocked horses XD

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »
Oh yeah, I was such a tomboy I rejected anything and everything pink on principal when I was a kid. Ponies were an absolute no-no! I only ever remember G3 ponies on the peripheral though, Barbie was my biggest enemy lol.

But midway through Art College, when G4 started, I realised I was being stupid and I should allow myself to like pink and ponies and whatever else! Being girly wasn't a bad thing, society's views of gender are just messed up.

Since then I have discovered a love and respect for all the generations of MLP toys. The first pony to start the herd however was a Lanard fakie I had smuggled in during late primary school. ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:12:13 PM »
I was a tomboy as a little girl. The only girly toy I played with was the G1 Littlest Pet Shop. When I was 9 I got some fakie ponies and then I remembered an old MLP VHS tape I had of Firefly's Adventure. I dug it out and decided I wanted the REAL My Little Ponies, but they had stopped making them by the time I wanted them. I was born in 1987 so I missed the ponies in my childhood. I started combing through flea markets at that young of an age looking for real MLPs. So I was kind of late to the party. I never had them through my early childhood, but I did in later childhood.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 02:15:58 PM »
I was also a huge tomboy as a kid. Wouldn't touch anything that would go in the "doll" or "girl toy" category. I also got into this for G4, but the funny part about why I don't collect the previous gens now is actually because I'm sort of scared of horses.  :lol: I like that G4s don't really look like them to me because they're so stylized and cartoony, but are still just as colorful. So I'm definitely late to this party too.

Offline Saphraira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Shoo be doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »
I had a whole box of fake and real growing up but I also went through an agressive tomboy phase where I  culled nearly all my toys. I got into g4 because of the boyfriends dragging me in.
Looking for Surprise twins mommy

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
I was born at the perfect time I think - MLP was the toy of choice. The idea of a doll like toy that was an animal appealed to my parents and me, I guess. They were very much the toy of my childhood. I am fortunate in timing more than anything else.

But I dont think it matters too much when you start collecting or loving MLP :) As long as we come to the right "pony" side eventually. :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
For the most part I'm late, I first saw the TV show as a kid, and it was G1, which I found facinating, but never saw anymore episodes as a kid, and then fell into the trap of thinking "girly = bad" so avoided My Little Pony, but years later saw some G4 online and loved it, and though I initially thought that "Oh, this must be a cooler version of MLP" I eventually remembered liking the old version, and check out G1, and the other generations, and I love them all.

I regret not growing up with them all, but I feel like I have (I even feel like I grew up with G4 in places), and I also regret not collecting the toys.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:24:46 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
I was a tomboy as a little girl. The only girly toy I played with was the G1 Littlest Pet Shop. When I was 9 I got some fakie ponies and then I remembered an old MLP VHS tape I had of Firefly's Adventure. I dug it out and decided I wanted the REAL My Little Ponies, but they had stopped making them by the time I wanted them. I was born in 1987 so I missed the ponies in my childhood. I started combing through flea markets at that young of an age looking for real MLPs. So I was kind of late to the party. I never had them through my early childhood, but I did in later childhood.

Me too, I was a tomboy then at age 9 I went from the whole puppy and kitty thing to, liked the color blue..hated pink unless it was a kitty's toung and ears, then one day a fakie cought my eye and then re-found MLP. Had em when I was a baby to 4 years old.. Don't know what happpned to water lilly and bubblefish..plus my sisters bunch of ponies.
:accomplished:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »
I played with toys for both genders, but in the end, I was primarily playing video games. MLP was never a franchise that my sister nor I ever had/got interested in, to my knowledge. My sister would have been more of the primary age for G1, whereas I'm just a bit too young. Tales was released in my toddler years, but I do not remember it whatsoever.

So, like a few others I didn't get interested in MLP until G4. It wasn't the image or anything, I've never really been all of that tomboyish. It's just that when I became aware of MLP, I was in early high school, and I only knew of it as a toyline that I didn't play with as a child. I didn't reject it, I just didn't get into it... G4 comes along with its cartoon, which is right up my alley, as I kind of only watch cartoons/animation. What really made me watch it was Faust's vision of it having feminist values and having a diverse cast of female characters to show that there isn't only one way to be a girl.

I wasn't really interested in the toys until maybe last year... I had gotten some G4 merchandise, but the only 'brushables' I had were McDonald's toys. xD But then I saw the G3 toyline, and how beautiful and diverse it was... And I started to collect a little. Now I'm kicking myself just a bit for *not* getting into MLP back in early high school, because that was G3 and that was when they were all being released and not costing so much. But... I was in high school and didn't have money for myself, so I'm not sure how that would have worked out for me.

|My Collection|

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 11:26:31 PM »
I never liked any kind of girly things as a kid (not a big surprise). They didn't interest me. Now I can't get enough. I have since found out I really like cute things. A lot. Disney Princesses were actually my gateway into this. Ponies kind of replaced them.

I didn't start liking anything that was especially girly until I was about 17 or so.

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 01:50:11 AM »
As a little girl, I never had ponies. I was a Sindy girl, I had a couple of the Sindy horses but that's about it.  I remember playing with  my childhood bestie's Lullabye Nursery and thinking it'd make a great doll house for my Sindy's but I never really asked for ponies!

The Ironic thing is, my bestie actually gave me her nursery and collection when she found out I liked ponies!!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 02:25:40 AM »
I didn't either. I also was born in 88 and so my older sisters had them but weren't that big into them and they were kinda forgotten by the time I was old enough. I was the horse/pony/unicorn freak, they weren't really. One of my older sisters actually had this unicorn dress and I would beg her to give it to me when I was big enough to wear it. My mom still remembers/is mad about the fact that my sister purposely threw it away so I couldn't have it and remembers how hurt I was.

How I came into it was when I was like 12 I was browsing online and I came across a g1 MLP online somewhere. No idea where. And I was like hey I think I have one of those in my closet. I left the computer, went upstairs and dug through old toys from our childhoods and there was Tuneful. I was excited. I went to Ebay to buy more and did so with my dad's money, sending checks back then. lol. And I've been obsessed ever since. The first one I got from Ebay was Sparkler. :)

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal