collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do your cat(s) like strangers?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Do your cat(s) like strangers?
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
I have two indoor cats, one male and one female. The male is very afraid of strangers and hides as soon as he hears the doorbell. The female is not afraid of strangers, but she doesn't really like them. She mostly seems annoyed. We had some relatives over today and one of them asked "Do you really have cats? I haven't seen them." :P

How are your cats? Which do you think is more common, cats who like strangers or cats who don't?
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
Re: Do your cat(s) like strangers?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »
I have three cats and all behave differently.

Our oldest is a female and she shows up for some people and hide for others. I use her as help to determine people's characters. If they're good she come and say hi, if they're not, she stay away.

Next cat is a four year old male. He is adventurus and love people. All people. Deliverymen, guests, strangers, familiars. He snuggle up to them more than he do us.

Youngest is also male. He is three years old and he hides. Humans are scary, except the ones who frequent often, them he like. He spent the entire christmas eve under the bed because my siblings were here and he see them once, maybe twice a year. Boyfriends best friend is here a couple of times a week and he loves to cuddle with him.

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:48:14 PM »
Two of our four are good with strangers - one just jumps right on their shoulders, the other likes getting ear scratches no matter who's doing it.  :P

The other two are newly adopted and still a bit skittish.  The youngest still hides from us if we move a little too fast!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
Yep, varies by kitty here too.  Some will come say hi to everyone.  Some hide from everyone.  One is ultra weird and growls when the doorbell rings.  If it's one of daughter's BFFs, OK.  Otherwise she keeps it up until she determines if the human is worthy.
Parents had one that liked them, and the mailman who happened to be my BFF's dad.  EVERYONE else she hissed at.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Melodia

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Eurobeat Pony
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »
I have two cats, the oldest one who is 11 years old likes visitors and is not afraid of strangers, I have had him for a long time, and he used to live in an apartment withme and three roomates, so I thnk he is used to it.

My second cat will run and hide if he hears someone knock on the door. And even when there is like a door knock sound on the tv from a movie or something. He dislikes people he doesn't know. I think he was abused as a kitten sadly, I found him in a parking lot when he was a kitten and gave him a good home.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
For the most part yes, but if they are a repairman they he hisses at them cause they are coming in and messing with stuff in our home.

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
Cats are just like people, it depends on their experiences growing up if they like certain situations. My babies are okay with certain strangers, Prince really likes religious visitors, but will hide from most others. Koko is terrified of people that make him think about my ex husband, but will let my one year old niece (still a stranger to him) follow him around, and try to pet him... My grandma's cat, My Toy, who's passed now, hated everyone except those she grew up with, probably as that side of the family is seriously exuberant and she was more of an introvert.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »
Most of mine hide, except for Cream, who you can't get rid of if you try. XD She looooves company, no matter who they are.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »
Cats are strange creatures yeah but my cat worryingly love people, like he's never met a stranger he didn't love

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
I have 9 cats and there's such a huge variation of social interaction with strangers among them.

Rocky, my 13 year old orange tabby, is unsure about new people and will usually sit atop my bookshelf and wait for the person to leave.

Faith, my 13 year old black/gray tabby, is gone the second she even hears the doorknob turn.

Carly, my 13 year old longhair, is usually indifferent.

Rusty, my 12 year old orange tabby, is a glutton for attention from any source.

Munchie, my 2 year old tabby, is pretty relaxed around new people

Boots, our one year old blue and white, is a former feral who is terrified of unfamiliar people

Boots's two 5 month old boys, Tigger and Socks, are pretty adventurous. They don't have much experience with new faces but I think they'd welcome the opportunity.

Boots's 5 month old girl, Princess, is very skittish like her mom and I'm sure would avoid new people.

My German Shepherd, Iris, is a ham for attention and loves everyone.  A guard dog she is not.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »
All four of our's are different.

Lili is friendly as can be.  She'll walk up to just about anyone for a pet, which includes the maintenance people here at the apartment complex.  Momo will watch from a distance, growls when someone comes up the stairs, but will generally keep her distance.  She doesn't forget people, however, she probably has only seen my dad four times in two years, but she remembers him and never runs and hides from him, and always comes up for a pet. 

Mako, the youngest, runs for cover, and outright -HIDES.-  She will not come out, and if I catch her to try to introduce her to a new person, she'll tear me to ribbons.  I suspect this is because she has had very little company since we've had her ( she's not even a year old ) so very little socialization, where Lili had tons of socialization, and Momo had some. . .

Chocho, on the other hand, just couldn't care less.  She's doesn't run or hide, and she doesn't get excited, but she won't come to see anyone.  But then, she's kind of an aloof cat to us. 

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 01:00:48 AM »
mine! In fact they seem annoyingly present even when someone shows up to work on the house lol.

The only people they hide for our my little nephews, but theyre young and loud and I often want to hide myself lol

My female cat who is more timid, will usually just walk around the edges of the room until she decideds its safe, then shell pick a lap to sit on (usually the person whos most allergic to cats, such as my grandma lol) and then shell usually stay there letting them pet her until they leave lol.

my male cat whos the "boss" will boldly walk between laps, on tables, the back of the couch and between feet, in an effort to get as much attention as possible. hes also the escape artists. He knows that when theres company, that the general chaos and unsuspecting persons at door, should make it easier for him to sneak outside. I however am usually prepared for this escape attempt lol.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:02:25 AM by True »
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 02:08:04 AM »
My old girl before she passed away loved strangers, she was a real show pony. The three we still have vary, jack (17 year old tabby) is a big chicken, if a stranger catches a glimpse of him its his ass as hes running away. Darla (17 year old callico) doesn't care, she just does her thing. Winston (6 year old chinchilla) chooses his humans, he likes some more than us, some he could take or leave.

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 02:30:44 AM »
I have two furkids: 1 adult cat and 1 kitten, both females. My adult cat, Bridget dislikes strangers and will hide in a room for hours till our guests leave. Another thing, she seems to HATE children and men (oddly). Maybe because she's a naturally reserved cat and enjoys her peace. Snowy, my kitten however is very friendly and sociable around new people. Still a kid I guess  ;)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 07:11:18 AM »
No he doesn't.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal