collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice for a First time customizer?  (Read 365 times)

ponygrl07

• Trade Count: (0)
Advice for a First time customizer?
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »
Im going to attempt my first custom pony. I've chosen to use a large G3 (Bait) style and play pony. I plan to remove the head tomorrow any advice on removing the head (I understand that G3s can be harder to remove the head/hair)

Secondly I plan to use polymer clay for sculpting. Is it ok to put a pony in the oven to cure the sculpting? Ive heard that the ponies do fine as long as you follow the directions. (Scary thought baking a pony!)

I've looked at/read several tutorials and think I can wing it haha.
Thanks everyone for the future advice :)

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a First time customizer?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
I use boiling water to put the pony in head first leave her a min or so then try an pull her head off, they are sometimes tooo glued you need an exacto blade to cut the neck line
You can use polymer clay on a pony an yes follow the directions on the clay pay as the the time, don't leave in any longer!
Goodluck, and welcome at the same time, I am pleased to read you have read the tutorials we have at the top of this thread, they are very helpful
I cant wait to see what you create!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline Starfall

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:49:06 PM »
I'm a fan of using the hairdryer to get heads on and off. I also use it to soften the tail hole to get them back in too.
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:48:49 AM »
Yup, warming the neck/head helps a lot with getting the head off. Styling G3 size heads aren't glued so it should be relatively easy to get the head off once heated. They also don't have feet magnets so they should be safe to bake like others have said. Good luck with customizing, can't wait to see the results! :D

ponygrl07

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
Thanks everyone! I of course picked the WORST pony (Color change Starcatcher) That thermal paint is horrid to remove! Lots of acetone and scrubbing!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
Personally, I would just do a full body repaint on that rather than try to remove the thermal paint.  But then, I haven't tried to customize one of those yet so I don't know if it makes a difference in the finished product. 

Anyway, I've found that using a thin layer of primer works wonders to get paint to stick to the ponies. 

Look at a lot of tutorials, experiment, don't be afraid to mess it up.

Remember, it's never a mistake, it's an Artistic Choice!

Good luck!

ponygrl07

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »
Personally, I would just do a full body repaint on that rather than try to remove the thermal paint.  But then, I haven't tried to customize one of those yet so I don't know if it makes a difference in the finished product. 

Anyway, I've found that using a thin layer of primer works wonders to get paint to stick to the ponies. 

Look at a lot of tutorials, experiment, don't be afraid to mess it up.

Remember, it's never a mistake, it's an Artistic Choice!

Good luck!

After hours of scrubbing the paint is off. (next time I may just paint over it) its a HUGE undertaking to get it off. But shes completely white now!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal