collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wine drinkers  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Wine drinkers
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
I looking for feedback on topic over wine.
I have no real knowledge over topic wine.
What type wines have nice sweet flavor tastes?
Which type wines good use in cooking? ( I told used wrong type red wine on roast and ruin the flavor roast :cry:)
What defines good taste wine?
Any information or experience on matter wine would great.

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Wine drinkers
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Well, im no expert but for me the darker the better! :D I like sweet reds, like berries and pomegranate flavor reds. I like them slightly chilled then poured halfway into a glass and served with cheese and crackers! :D Im not afan of the whites, but I bet they would be good for cooking!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
I have no idea as I have never been one to drink anything fermented.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
I'm not a fan of wine but you shoukd definitely ask Diamond :)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »
That's a really hard question as a lot of it is down to personal tastes! Personally, I like fruity tasting wines. I prefer white or rosé, however occasionally a nice red will take my fancy.

Couldn't give you specific types though. For whites, we like Australian or Chilean wines.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Mareacooda

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
I only try few home made wines but person makes them pass on.  I the other day looking at wines and :blink: overwhelm which to try. Homemade wines was a sweet berry wines that tasting almost like drinking juice with slight kick (carbon soda)..  When I drink alcohol I find to tend like sweet tastes or ones that I do not taste alcohol.  I hate taste beers.... I have not found a beer or stout I like. I do like Butterscotch rum. I not much of a drinker but I like have once awhile. 

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »
I don't realy drink wine but i worked for a giant wine distributor for a few years (about 4, actually) and I was recommended to and found that I liked *ice wine* or Late Harvest Riesling. Red has more tannins and to me is more bitter
white is always sweeter
rose or white zin is strange with the process and the red wine but it's a white wine...it's also sweet.
mead is still available
dessert wines are the sweetest by far and you'll usually find them close to the Sherry, Vermouth and other "cooking wines" though I believe Sauvignon Blanc is the most common cooking wine (aside from "white table wine") and pinot grigio is more of a drinking wine. Chardonnay is the most common white white with probably Merlot still edging out Cabernet for reds.
Pinot Noir is great with Turkey and if you can find some from Willamette Valley Oregon, you're good.

as far as taste, it really depends on each person. i gave my boss a bottle of Cab knowing that he liked red wine and hunting and he said it was really spectacular. i don't like reds at all so I just took his word for it, hahahaha

Inniskilin makes a 100% riesling ice wine that is just delicious - and expensive.
if you want really good wines and recommendations, check out your local *wine store* the local grocery store probably has a wine steward that knows a thing or two, but wine stores have a wider selection. also see if you can do a tasting at a winery. I dont know for sure where you are (I'm in WA) but most places will offer tastings even if they aren't part of the winery. tastings let you taste a bit of wine without paying for the whole bottle or glass - which can be quite expensive.

they make all kinds of other fruit wines as well. blackberry, raspberry, orange, other things i can't think of right now...
do try to steer clear of boxed wines unless you're going to a party and are tasked with bringing wine for a large number of people who have no discerning taste. some people love box wine, and some are complete wine snobs against it.
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
I'm not a fan of wine but you shoukd definitely ask Diamond :)
LOL Funny how my name comes up when wine is mentioned.

It is a hard thing as most folks are gonna have a difference of opinion on taste.  For me I am a red lady, mostly Cabernet Sougevion or how ever it is spelled.  I use it to drink and cook.  In regards to cooking, if you it does not taste good enough to drink then you DO NOT cook with it.  Cause then it is not gonna taste good.

In regards to brands, again that is personal.  The best is to ask at your local store and see what they recommend.  I use a particular brand as it seems lower in sulfates so I do not have an issue with it and my allergy which is why I no longer drink whites, as they seem higher.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »
Wine is more of a personal taste thing. It really depends on what you enjoy, I love moscato (sweet white) can't stand red or dry whites, but I know a lot of people hate sweet white.

If you aren't sure what you would like, why not try a winery tour? You can sample different types and people more knowledgeable on wines can tell you what sorts suit different things (like whats good for cooking, what types match better with what meals etc)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 10:12:16 PM »
Oooh pick me!  I adore wine.  If you're looking to learn more, check out wine tastings and see if you have any local wineries in your area.  My mom took a wine tasting class actually and she taught me to pick out the different flavors and smells and it's so much more fun to drink when you know about it lol.  We go to tastings every month.  :)

If you like sweet wines, try a Riesling (or a Moscato, if you REALLY like sweet lol).  And if you want a dessert wine, I can't ever get enough port.  XD

For cooking, I usually just get a cheapish red blend.  Nothing crappy, but it doesn't have to be fancy either.  Sometimes, a recipe will tell you which kind to use.  I have a red wine beef stew that I love and I use a merlot for that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:30:28 PM by ZennaBug »

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Mareacooda

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »
The closes winery is about 4 plus hrs from me. I thinking maybe this summer ( better weather travel in...  In Maine weather in winter is really unpredictable so I try limited travel to spring, summer and Fall) to travel couple Maine winery's and try figure out what type wine I would like drink.

Offline h1m3.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »
I have worked at local liquir/wine store. I can't recommend any specific wine because it all depends on your own taste. Also some wines taste better with food and some are better for socialize. So wines should be picked as the way you would use them. For example with fish usually white wine is better than red and with meat is via versa.

What type wines have nice sweet flavor tastes?
If wine has a lot of residual sugar the more sweeter it is. If the wine has more acidic/tannins the less sugar and less sweetenes it has. This might help you to find sweet wines.

Which type wines good use in cooking? ( I told used wrong type red wine on roast and ruin the flavor roast :cry:)
I would say best white wines are young, acidic and dry wines. For example riesling. In red wines best are fruity and berry-like, without noticeable tannin.

What defines good taste wine?
You own taste! :) And what you are eating. Wine can make some food tasting even better if the food and wine are combined well :). To find the perfect wines the only thing to do is just taste, taste and taste.

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »
This is a pretty good time of year to go find less expensive wines to taste. The package stores I frequent most (only twice a year now  :P ) all have their sampler sized bottles out for sale in gift baskets. If you like sweet wines, few wines are sweeter than muscadine! But that may be my Southern roots showing. I usually get fruity wines and blushes because me and my mother-in-law like those.  :wine:

When cooking, smell the wine before adding it to what you're going to cook it with, preferably with the other thing already otherwise spiced so you can smell them together before they touch each other. If you like how they smell together chances are you'll like how they taste together. Things do change in cooking but not usually drastically so.  :yummy:
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
I don't drink at all (both for medical reasons and I just don't like alcohol) but I do know quite a bit about cooking and how wine tastes better when its paired with certain foods (different types will go with different foods).

If you have an LCBO nearby, just pop in and poke one of the consultants--they are a treasure-trove of knowledge and can easily answer all your questions and then some.  I also like how they are professional and friendly--if you look too young to be purchasing alcohol, they go about it awesomely and don't make you feel like trash (I kind of look 10 years younger then I am, and have had to get stuff for others>>)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »
Wine is more of a personal taste thing. It really depends on what you enjoy, I love moscato (sweet white) can't stand red or dry whites, but I know a lot of people hate sweet white.

If you aren't sure what you would like, why not try a winery tour? You can sample different types and people more knowledgeable on wines can tell you what sorts suit different things (like whats good for cooking, what types match better with what meals etc)

This.

I'm a moscato girl, myself.  I can't stand anything dark.  Even when people were absolutely sure I'd love it, if they gave me a dark wine that was supposedly "sweet" I'd want to spit it right out.  It all comes down to personal tastes!  I know a few wine stores around here will actually let you try samples in the store (limited amounts, of course  ;)) so that may be something to look into.  A winery tour is also an excellent idea!
Instagram / Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal