collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you think that the Custom Plush market is shrinking?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
Do you think that the Custom Plush market is shrinking?
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »
I thought about putting this in the corral, but I think this more more geared towards plush makers than anything.

Do you think that the market for custom plush is shrinking/dying? Especially considering there are more and more bootleg factories popping up mass producing the ponies you once only could get by custom order? Or do you think that it's still as strong as ever?

Personally I've seen quite a slowdown of customs for a few reasons. Mainly the bootlegs. When someone can get a Luna for $30, why would they ever bother to pay $200+ for a custom? Secondly, I think the market has become saturated with plushie makers. It's awesome so many are into making them, but at the same time, with so many choices means less chances to be noticed, unless you're top of the class like people like Whitedove. And third... I do think the fad is finally dying. I just don't see the insane hype anymore like I did two years ago. I guess it was a good run while it lasted, but all things come to an end.

What are your thoughts? If you're a seller, have you noticed a slow down or lack of interest? If not, what keeps your work active?

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think that the Custom Plush market is shrinking?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
I've always wanted custom plushes of my OCs, I'm just flat broke. I think the bootlegs make the more popular characters more accessible (and therefore bite into the custom market) and I will admit, when weighing 30 dollars versus 900 dollars for a Princess Cadance plush, I'm going with 30 even if the 900 dollar plush is amazing quality.

I don't think there's any love lost for customs though. They're way better put together than the bootlegs and if you're into OCs like me, having your OC in a physical form is really neat!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:16:19 PM »
Who is charging $900 for Cadance??  ::checks to see if she has Cadance pattern, lol::

Personally, I don't notice a slowdown, but I mainly work on commission so basically I only work if people want something from me.  I do mostly OC's or previous gens too, which aren't something the bootleg factories are going to make.  I think it depends on what kind of collector you are - if you're into "collect them all" you'll probably go for the bootlegs but if you're more selective you'll likely go for a truly one of a kind creation. 

There are exceptions, of course.  ;)  I mean, I can make custom plushies and I still buy the bootlegs of certain characters.  Some of them cost what I'd spend on materials alone to make my own, so I can see why people would want to buy them. 

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
I personally would love a custom plush (or 100 of them lol).  But I just can't afford the price tags.  I totally get why they are expensive and I am always so amazed by the quality of the work.  I just can't justify spending that much.  Eventually though, I will definitely want to get a custom Vessa.  Some day.  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:05:49 AM »
i think it's definitely shrinking.
i've purchased 3 custom pony plushes.
but all of mine have been colts (yes all boys. mwhahahahahaha)
and i love the ones i have. but any mane character plushes i've wanted i have hunted to find them.
especially not that 4-D plushes are available in america? alot less people will commission show ponies.
still waiting for someone to come up with a cute custom of spike as a puppy.

Offline therainbowtroll

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Depends Pony
  • I'm the pony everypony should know!
    • View Profile
    • FA
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
I think everyone is correct in terms of why the market as gone down. I find that the pony fandom has calmed down a bit and things are fizzing out. Its not even close to dead but it isent as loud as it was around season 2/3.

Another reason why people buy the bootlegs is that if they damages the plush it wont be as devastating as messing up a 300$ one. There are ponies that are never going to be plushed and the same stand up pose gets boring after a while. So the custom market has a chance. But yes not many people will order the mane 6 when the bootlegs (and even some offical) plushies are cheaper and more available.
https://ibb.co/kUfiYF
By pawpatrolbab

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
Personally, I witnessed this happening with the custom toy market too - after the G4 fandom exploded, you could get $100 or more for a really well-made pony custom. And it was awesome! Sadly, the market ballooned, then quickly shrank again, and now I think we're seeing this happen (belatedly) with the custom plush market too. It's probably a mix of the market saturation (new customizers and bootlegs alike) and a waning interest in the fandom, I think; after you spend $500 on a plush, you're probably less likely to do it again, so I think the market may be a bit saturated in that regard. People just aren't able/willing to spend as much on plush as they did in the early heyday of the fandom.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »
Sad but true. Also, I think another issue is that with art in general, newer artists come into the field, and severely undercut other artists as they don't really know what they *should* be pricing things. There's a lot of artists selling plushies in the $40-$80 range, when by all right they should be much higher. How they even cover their costs is beyond me....

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »
i know i don't charge much for the plushes i make, but i'm not making the standard type most people do.
just hoping and dreaming of selling the ones i've already made and hope that then they will be gone from my house. no major profit, but enough to cover materials and time.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 02:06:53 PM »
It's a thin line to walk, deciding what to charge.  I think a lot of plush artists charge less because it's a hobby, not a business.  I don't charge much comparatively, but making plushies is something I do in my spare time as therapy.  It's just for fun, for the challenge of making something new.  The extra income is great, sure, but there are so many artists better than I am who people would rather pay the big bucks to.  I am not well known and I'm a novice seamstress.  I definitely cover my costs but I'm not making a living out of it.     

I could charge more, but no one would buy them (see my ebay auctions).  Or I can charge less and sell them, and have people complain I'm undercutting them (not aimed at you, Tilas, it's something I've heard elsewhere before).  I had a handful of plushies at the Fair this year and all I heard all weekend was how grossly overpriced they were, and how they should be priced like the ones at Walmart.  You just can't win. 

Offline Angelberries

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://angelberries.deviantart.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 01:52:49 AM »
I don't feel I can ask more for mine,as I'm not known enough for plushie making. Its all in the name! Plus I think you've got to be different...... theres a lot of people making minky stand up ponies now. You need an edge, a selling point.... right?

Angelberries Plushies! Find me at my Deviantart - http://angelberries.deviantart.com/

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:17 AM »
I actually think the demand for plush is maybe higher right now than ever before, but there are also a LOT more people making custom plush.

I agree also that as someone else noticed, many have already bought one or possibly more rather expensive custom plush, and may be at their limit (for space or funds).

Also I think there was a big boom of non-custom plush this year, and the non-customs are starting to look a little better (ie 4DE and Aurora in some cases). I think 4DE looks the best but they are sooooo behind on making their plushies, that they could very well miss the trend entirely by the time their toys get on the market!

Although I think demand will go up again once Season 5 of MLP:FiM starts up again.  Who doesn't want their own well made plush to hug?

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
I could charge more, but no one would buy them (see my ebay auctions).  Or I can charge less and sell them, and have people complain I'm undercutting them (not aimed at you, Tilas, it's something I've heard elsewhere before).  I had a handful of plushies at the Fair this year and all I heard all weekend was how grossly overpriced they were, and how they should be priced like the ones at Walmart.  You just can't win. 

Oh don't worry, you're not, and I wasn't aiming ta you either, it's just the nature of the business, trying to find that "happy medium".  A lot of people do it as hobby, but even then, I'm still a firm believer in fair wage.  Mine seem high, but really after materials/costs/etc, my actual wage on them is rather low. Yah, I could drop them down, but then I feel like I'm wasting my time. Because for me, it's both a hobby *and* a business. You're right, you seriously can't win!

I don't feel I can ask more for mine,as I'm not known enough for plushie making. Its all in the name! Plus I think you've got to be different...... theres a lot of people making minky stand up ponies now. You need an edge, a selling point.... right?
See, that right there has always bothered me. The popular kids get more popular, and the rich get richer. Just another nature of the beast type of thing, but it's always bothered me. Just because we aren't as known as people like Whitedove does NOT mean we are any less of artists! We shouldn't have to beg for pennies because we're not as widely know yknow? :\

As for standard ponies, you're right, that's a huge problem is so many do the "same pose". I'm guilty of it lol. Though I think everyone has their own style which makes everyone unique. Still, back when I started plushie making, the market was tiny, now it's huge so it's a lot harder to stand out.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
Great, send them all to me  ;) :lol:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »
It's a thin line to walk, deciding what to charge.  I think a lot of plush artists charge less because it's a hobby, not a business.  I don't charge much comparatively, but making plushies is something I do in my spare time as therapy.  It's just for fun, for the challenge of making something new.  The extra income is great, sure, but there are so many artists better than I am who people would rather pay the big bucks to.  I am not well known and I'm a novice seamstress.  I definitely cover my costs but I'm not making a living out of it.     

Skeen you should link your ebay sales in your siggie-

I do realize that many plushie artists don't charge prices that fairly represent the labor/time/effort/design that went into them (kind of like custom ponies) - but expecting a hand-made unique plush to have even close to the same price as a crap factory made Funrise from Walmart? That is ridiculous and insulting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal