collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: need plant help  (Read 457 times)

ponygirl74

• Trade Count: (0)
need plant help
« on: December 05, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
my bamboo plants have spider-mites I haven't dealt with them for some time now ( over 10 years in fact) so I forgot how to deal with them as a home remedy. I know there are non chemical ways to kill them- anyone familiar with any? I googled spider-mites but get chemical ways of getting rid of them, any help I would be grateful for, thanks, Ponygirl74

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: need plant help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
Soap (crushed bar soap mixed with hot water and mushed around until dissolved and then cooled, or liquid dish soap) and water mixture sprayed into the foliage should get rid of them. An alternative is spraying the plant with a strong current like a hose or faucet set to max that'll wash them away.
My bamboo hangs into the aquarium, so I haven't had it on that, but it did nearly destroy my rose plant. I eliminated the aphids and then those nasty guys showed up. I restored to bug be gone, because I couldn't stand to lose it. Bamboo is a lot tougher (though sometimes temperamental) and will handle those guys.
Mine throw a little hissy fit if the leaves get wet while in the aquarium (THAT THEY LIVE IN), but handle the sink when being rinsed just fine.  -_-
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:50:07 PM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Oh ick! I wish you luck getting rid of them.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »
Give the soap a try!  There are also companies that sell a predatory mite called "Persimilis" that eats spider mite like candy. The tough part is that you need to apply it every week at least three times, and it's expensive, and you can't store it very long or they starve so you have to buy it fresh each time. Soap and persistence are probably the best non chemical remedy. (You could also try adding a touch of garlic, that bugs some bugs.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:34:39 PM by Thunderwing »

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:33:50 PM »
I haven't heard of spider mites. Are they anything like aphids? I had great luck with ladybugs on one of my aphid-infested plants. I've heard of the dish soap remedy too.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »
Cant really help you out.  I have a bamboo plant but haven't had that issue before :(

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline evilbunnyfoofoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:05:56 AM »
If the soap doesn't work, try mixing 1 part witch hazel to one part antiseptic mouthwash (any brand). I've had very good luck using it on both plants and little animals (rodents and birds) to remove many types of mites. Just mix it up, put it in a spray bottle and give your plant a good misting once every three days. It's saved more than more plant for me!

It does leave a bit of sticky residue which can later be safely rinsed off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal