collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you look for in a physcian?  (Read 378 times)

Babushka

• Trade Count: (0)
What do you look for in a physcian?
« on: December 04, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
I'm currently applying to medical schools as a career changer. I started work in composition, teaching college writing with most of my research in medical documents and public health. My volunteer work has helped me realize that I want to become a physician (a dream I had as a kid) and I have the time, life goals, and abilities to do so. I work with under-served areas in education, and I'd like to continue doing so as a primary care doctor. I have passion of health education and working on translating medical discourse into common discourse.

So ... I'm curious. What behaviors, skills, care, attention, and actions do you associate with a great doctor? I want to serve people in the best way I can. 

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: What do you look for in a physcian?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 04:57:41 PM »
Someone who listens and doesn't act like they know my body better than I do. Oh! And someone who tells me what they are doing to me and why. I don't appreciate them doing things to me (or trying to anyway) without bothering to mention why.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »
Pretty much what kaoskat said about listening and explaining.  I just got a new doctor last winter since I moved here, and she was fantastic.  She asked questions, listened to my answers, had suggestions, and was great about giving me info and explaining everything she recommended.  She also asked about my emotional/mental well-being as well as physical.  So it felt like she cared about more than just my body.  Ha ha ha.  She was a very new doctor, too.  Just like you will be.   ^.^  Good luck with your studies.

I also like doctors who don't beat around the bush, and just TELL you things that you should do, shouldn't do, etc.  But I might be in the minority there, I take direction from perceived authority figures well.   :P

Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
I look for a few things... I want a doctor who speaks English properly and fluently, no heavy accent. I want one who will pay attention when I self diagnose. I know doctors hate that, but sometimes I DO know what is wrong and just need a prescription to take care of it. I've been to one doctor who pretty much refused to make the same conclusion I had come to, just because I said "This is disease X". And another who took one look, came to the same conclusion as I, and wrote a prescription for antibiotics to clear it up - took all of two minutes. I want a doctor who doesn't waste my time!  If my appointment is at 1pm - and you are running two hours behind schedule - CALL ME! Don't make me sit there two hours! I won't go to any doctor that gives a bad vibe or creep factor. "Oh, your head is hurting - well, take off your shirt and let's see what's wrong". In quotes for a reason. Sheesh.

I want a doctor who is down to earth, can dumb down a diagnosis to my level, but who at the same time realizes that I am just as intelligent as they are, but in a different area of expertise. Don't dumb down the explanation because you think I am stupid, y'know? Common sense. Don't over prescribe, and this includes testing. I am 35 and have had zero major health problems, and almost zero minor ones - prescribing a barrage of blood work every three months is overkill. I know you like a fat paycheque, but sheesh.  *head desk*  Maybe we just have bad doctors in this province.

Oh!  I wouldn't mind finding an actual family practitioner who would take on my family. Two healthy adults, no children. Doctors won't take us on because we are not money makers.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
I agree with what everyone has said so far. I just want a doctor who treats me like an equal not an inconvenience. Someone who listens, understands fears and concerns, answers questions and doesn't make me feel like I'm rushed out of the office.

I also like doctors that aren't constantly handing out prescriptions, someone who can suggest alternatives for things that don't require antibiotics. A happy medium :)

It's really hard to find doctors with a good bedside manner (I think that's what it's called). My old doctor was amazing, he outshines every doctor I had prior to him and any doctor I've seen since. He was friendly, always asking about my job and family, answered my questions, dealt with any concerns I had, he was pretty good about being on time for his appointments and I never felt rushed with him.

I also agree with the no creep factor, had a very bad experience with one doctor many years ago. I put it in the spoiler below.
Spoiler
I once had a family doctor who made me have a breast exam as part of my pre-op visit when I was 15. There was no one else in the room, and I kept saying I didn't want it or need it and he told me I had to let him do it because it was a requirement of my pre-op for dental surgery. I didn't know that wasn't legal at the time. Needless to say I changed family doctors right after that.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:16:47 PM »
Oh! And always remember if you send someone for tests about something serious and they come back for the results, they don't want your small talk, they want to know they are not dying. I love my current doctors to bits because they both have the sense to walk into the room and immediately say, "Hi! It's not cancer (or other scary thing I was tested for)!" The "how are you doing" "I'm fine thank you"  stuff can take place after the patient knows they aren't dying and they'll be more likely to hear everything you are saying rather than just sitting there freaking out inside waiting for the results.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »
I appreciate doctors who understand the value of other health and wellness professionals- dietitians, chiropractors, accupunctuerists, pharmacists, massage therapists, etc. Good health is often a team effort!

Babushka

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I certainly value people's stories and their inputs. One of the physicians I shadow embodies the doctor I'd like to be; she always asks people about their families and how they are doing first, and will even take the time to send a nurse or resident to talk with the next appointment if she is running late with another to make sure they know they are being taken care of. I also have learned to value all members of a medical team.

Thank you again! I'm going to keep these comments as benchmarks to learn from as I go through work.
:hug:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal