collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: anyone diagnosed with aspergers, help me understand something...  (Read 1409 times)

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
anyone diagnosed with aspergers, help me understand something...
« on: November 30, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
(Not sure if I classify this as a "problem" but more of a just curious question so I put it in off topic, but mods feel free to move if you think otherwise)

I've been debating rather or not to see someone who can officially diagnose me to see if I do have mild autism or some other disorder. I want to ask those of you who have aspergers syndrome if you have certain things that you don't like. For instance, yesterday morning, my brother and I went out to eat breakfast. I got a waffle and a pancake and some strawberries to go on top, but realized I accidentally put warm strawberries and not cold ones on my waffle. The warmness and dough of the waffle and pancake affected me in a way that I never want to eat that combination again and don't want to think about it. I don't know how to explain it. It just wasn't a good combination of hot and cold. It has happened with other food types. I don't like ice cream with cobbler. I don't like hard lumps in grits, I can't stand my own hair being down for fear it will get in my food as I'm eating or cooking. I hate the sound of certain car engines unless I'm driving them, then I'm fine. Someone who's very dear to me on twitter and been following me for months just unfollowed me and now I'm wondering if I did/said something wrong when I wasn't even directing a question to them. That really hurt me and I know it shouldn't because it could be an accident? People I talk with at work I want to make sure I'm in good standing with them so I try to socialize or whatever with people and make them laugh. Other times, I want to say "I don't care what people think" and just be a b*&$# I don't know... I just feel different.

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
Re: anyone diagnosed with aspergers, help me understand something...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »
I know nothing about aspergers or autism but I recently read an article about HSP (Highly Sensitive Person)- http://www.hsperson.com/

It says about 20% of people might be HSP and I know I fit into that category although I didn't hit all the points described.  In any case, your post just made me think that might be something for you to look over and see if it fits you.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »
Everyone who falls within the Autism spectrum has very different things that could affect them. If you'd like the opinion of a psychologist, I could read your post to my mom and ask her what she thinks just from what you've said.  Keep in mind it wouldn't be any type of diagnosis that you'd be receiving, you should definitely seek to be tested if you're curious. There's no shame in it and the tests are usually very simple, just answering questions about yourself and what you'd do in certain situations. 

...and don't ever try to self-diagnose, you'll make yourself paranoid.  :drunk:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
chi, that would be great! And I don't want to self diagnose. I know I will talk to a professional sometime in the new year. It's not something really really urgent at the moment, but would like some answers to eventually.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »
'ello there! I've been diagnosed with Asperger's (I think it got renamed to high-functioning autism or some other schmancy name? Not sure) since I was 8, 25 now.

Hypersensitivity or extreme aversion to certain things (i.e. misophonia, more on that) is seen a lot in autism and texture is one of the most common aversions. Mine is cotton balls. Just thinking about cotton balls gives me the heebie-jeebies because the texture is just so wrong. I also can't wear things that have a certain texture or my skin will get itchy and crawly. I'll even rewash sweatshirts and kigurumi if they don't feel right.

Sounds is probably the second most common and extreme aversion (like physical pain and emotional distress) is misophonia. For a while if I heard humming I'd flip and start screaming and crying. Getting better and now I just cringe but bleh.

For sure I'd go in and talk to a professional. It's way better to get professionals on board to help with anything you need like therapy or medication. Or if you just need someone to sound off of shoot me a message and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Duster reference]

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »
I wish you luck figuring out what's wrong.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »
I would go and get tested first, I however do have aspergers syndrome, and I can't stand the feel of certain fabrics. That is certainly understandable what you are feeling however. If you need too you can always pm me here, lots of pony hugs as well.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
I could ask my boyfriend, he is a high functioning autistic person. Super smart in math but god forbid I try and get him to do something that is not in the normal pattern.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:15:02 AM »
Some of what you do might, but being aware of social situations or others in that manner is not a norm for someone with Asbergers, in fact they normally have a hard time with the whole social concept. 

So I would instead of trying to read things and see where you fit, go to a trained professional first and let them help figure it out. 

Best of luck with it.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:00:32 AM »
Oh goodness, so many autistics have sensory issues. For me, it's any of the following:

-Toothpaste on my fingers
-Dry skin
-Touching paper after my hands have been wet
-Tags on my clothes

And that's not even talking about my heightened sense of hearing and smell.

Don't even feel bad or alone! ♥ There's definitely many an autistic person who has the same aversions that you do.

(also a gentle reminder that functioning labels, i.e. "high/low functioning autistic" are false~♥♥)
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
It sounds like you are explaining something that 'could' be an indicator but is also common enough not to be.

With OCD, for example, one could easily have an issue with food like that. I got nailed with the mild form of it--being effected in certain ways but not every day

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 04:04:04 PM »
I've worked with many ages of students who fell all around the autism spectrum. Each one was unique and had different tolerances to different things. Some could verbalize others could not. Some had to wear loose fitting cotton clothing, others not. Some refused to wear shoes, others had to have socks and shoes on at all times. Some loved to eat anything in sight, others were so picky you wondered how they survived on what little they liked to eat. I think a lot of what you're experiencing isn't as abnormal as you think. Though honestly if you feel that you will feel better, go to a professional.

I totally dislike the feeling of cotton balls and wet fingers on dry paper.  (A lot of the examples given I can't tolerate as well.) I also have that feeling of I care what you think one day and don't care what you think the other day (honestly I think it's part of being female). Overall I prefer social things to be "light" and non-confrontational. Maybe I'm just a bit crazy or these are things that we don't normally talk about so we don't know how others feel in a similar situation.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »
You could be on the spectrum, the range is so broad now- but you don't really need a diagnosis?

Unless you are trying to qualify for benefits or assistance or something.  However, you should definitely talk to a therapist if you are having trouble handling social situations - and you can certainly let them know of your suspicions, it will help them develop a plan to help modify your behavior :D

Personally, clothing tags absolutely drive me crazy and I have to remove them from everything, and I also hate/absolutely can't stand the feel of wooden kitchen utensils/silverwear- but I think it has more to do with my ADHD. We have texture issues too :D 

My dad and one sister are on the spectrum. I would say the most noticeable thing for them is that they really struggle with social situations. I don't mean that they are shy- they are absolutely not. But they have a VERY hard time (impossible really) READING people- like they may be talking to someone, and that person may be (fairly obviously) becoming offended/angry/wanting to withdraw/looking hostile- and they really have no clue.  One of my very good friends is a little more severe- he gets very obsessed with the minutia of things-

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »
I have some sort of spectrum disorder. I was born premature, and along with other health issues I have, my brain's nerves arnt perfect but I feel perfect on the outside. I was diagnosed by several doctors and a neurologist with ADD, AS, etc the list goes on and was put in special development classes as a kid, but had normal classes in high school but struggled a little with math and if course making friends. As a toddler I showed unusal characteristics like organizing toys constantly, refusing to wear anything but pajamas (HAHA! im still like that- wearing them now!), tantrums from messes, and being overly creative for my age including drawing fantasy worlds LOL. Growing up I had a psychologist help me manage my symptoms and adapt to changes as a little little kid. Honestly, at first I was shocked to find out im considered high functioning autistic, but it honestly isnt too noticeable and had my mom never taken me to the neuro for a diagnosis I honestly would have never known! I feel perfectly normal and successful, I live a normal life, can drive, got married, have a job or sometimes more than one job at once, i turned out pretty normal! The symptoms pop up once in a while as you cant outgrow them but I only notice them if someone calls me out n it in example when I spend a WHOLE day organizing my toys without knowing and hubby comes in the room to ask if im ok! xD Its honestly a minor thing for me now, I dont worry about it at all. You should too! Just be yourself, be unique! :D

Unless you are trying to get some sort of benifits or disability, or desire medication or therapy to mange symptom a diagnosis may not be needed, especially if you are older and already living on your own. Some people are very sensitive to many things without being autistic. Everyone is unique in their own way! You should worry about what ponies you want to buy next! *pony hugs*

I do understand the sensitivity part you posters above have mentioned! For me its:
-Loud or high pitched sounds
-Lights. Especially bright lights! I dread the thought
-Yarn. I HATE the feeling of yarn in my hands or teeth, i crewed a piece one time and it was squeaky against my teeth! My dad also hated it.
-I also hate toothpaste on my hands, my hands get too hot!
-Omg I cant stand wearing JEANS. Either scrubs or pajama pants. Im ok with skirts, anything else is a BIG noooooo. :/ As a kid i would SCREAM if I had to wear jeans, and would take them off where ever I was!
-I also have a thing with socks. They CANNOT have the 'balls! in the corners of the seams by my toes. I used to take off my socks and cut all the seams off!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:54:33 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »
hi there!   i'm   like someo fhte otehrs   i have "high functioning Autism" myslef  or what its labeled now a adays and PDD  as it was called     wheni was younger.

i also have sensroy issues. sicne i was little.  i   dont like anything Mushy.. or gooey.  ( mud,  paint ) i   dont like sticking  my hands into anyhting liek that or grainy.  i  didnt do finger painting.  (or pudding)  as htey did when i was little.  Or  mud. i still dont like certain   consistancys.  Also my food cannot touch  and i dont mix things. I eat things one at a time as well.   so it doesnt mix. (like  if i have chicken and    potatoes  i'll eat all the chikcen then the potatoes.) i also dont overly   like putting my hands on  really dirty thigns. 

all in all  i thinkt aht a lot of us have similar issues. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal