collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going to university - tell me everything! (well, not everything xD)  (Read 678 times)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
So I decided to apply to university for next year, and I got an unconditional offer from my first choice uni! University was never part of my plans, and has completely changed my plans for the next few years but I'm excited.

So, I guess I'd like some advice. It's just under a year away so I don't need advice about being there yet, but more so about other things. What kind of things would you recommend I do in preparation? (I know this will be course specific, but I mean in general, if there is anything :P) Would you recommend living in halls or in private student accommodation? I don't really know what else to ask! It seems like I have so many questions but I can't think of them! :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: Going to university - tell me everything! (well, not everything xD)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Survive! :cheer: :devious:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
I have no info but good luck! You can do it!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
What are you going to be studying? I can't give you any specific advice, just that it's very different from high school! 
Even though I have fewer classes and subjects than in high school it doesn't leave me as much free time as I thought it would. You are going to learn things in detail in a relatively short period of time, so it's very important to study what you really enjoy. Otherwise, it's just going to be a pain. Don't worry too much about the grades, be happy when you just pass (but still do your best!).  I guess that would be kind of a mental preparation :)
I don't know about the accommodation because I attend the uni in my hometown so I just live at home. But from what I've heard from my colleagues, renting a flat gives you more privacy and freedom, but halls are usually a lot more affordable and better choice if you are really sociable.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Will you be living in a dorm, or off site?  If off site - learn to cook! Learn to budget. Learn to downsize.

kittyberry

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »
this isn't going to apply to everyone, obviously, but i personally found it easier to get motivated to complete my studying by living in a residence hall. i just find it difficult to study at home and stay focused with all the distractions.

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 05:42:05 AM »
I live in the USA so not sure how different it is there. I recommend buying your books in advance. Perhaps a few months before hand. Gives you a chance to skim through them and also you can often get a cheaper price on Ebay and such. I have saved a ton of money using that method. This semester I spent just under $50 on my books while many of my classmates have spent over $200 on the same books!

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 09:23:09 AM »
Get involved with something outside your classes! There are always a ton of different clubs/societies that are just for fun or related to your studies.  They're great ways to network and can provide opportunities for things you can list on your CV later on.  If there is a society related to your studies, I would ABSOLUTELY check it out.  My undergrad major was anthropology, and I joined the Anthropology Club and the department's honor society, and I wish I had done it from the beginning of my time in the major rather than a year in.  Apart from the networking, we (I was an officer one year) organized guest talks from professionals in the field and also had our professors talk about graduate school.  There were also weekly group study sessions, since obviously everyone is either taking the same classes or has taken other classes with the same professors, and can help you find an effective way to study for that professor's tests.  In some of the more challenging courses, some of my classmates and I would create Facebook groups for extra study help - we'd post quiz and due date reminders, informational updates for the benefit of students who may have had to miss a lecture or lab, and we'd also post links to relevant articles and set up in-person study sessions.

I lived in a dormitory (residence hall) my first year of college, and I highly recommend doing it at least part of the time you're at school, if only for a more "full" experience and another opportunity to get to know different kinds of people and open yourself up to new experiences that can be unique to life at uni.  My first roommate was a theatre major, and she encouraged me to audition for a part in the department's one-act play festival that was being put on as a student workshop for aspiring directors and writers.  It was something I never would have done on my own, and I'm SO glad I did - I had a lot of fun, and it turned out to be one of my best memories of my freshman year!

If you haven't started already, and you haven't taken a tour of the campus, I would certainly do that as well.  I'd especially make a point of setting up a time to meet with either the chair of your program or a professor whose research interests you share, to discuss what direction you'd like to take your studies, if continuing on for a higher degree or going into a career in the field is a goal of yours.  I'm sure there are academic advisors much like what we have in US schools, but at least in my experience, they aren't always as helpful as talking to the professors and possibly also grad students in the program.

I know I just wrote a novella, lol so I hope that wasn't too much  :blush:

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
I graduated uni years ago, and I may be behind the times, and it depends on the uni city you are moving to, but if your halls of residence are near campus I'd recommend them, I ended up renting in the second year with a group from my flat in halls. At least you know you won't get ripped off with accomodation if it is uni owned, or at least on the Uni student union's 'recommended' list, and there might be people from your course nearby, makes a difference when you're walking back from lectures when it's dark. Lots of people join various societies at the Freshers Fair at the beginning of term, but end up only sticking with one.
See if you can find out the reading list, or last years, read the website of your department and email questions to them if need be.
Do your research on places of interest where you're moving too, so you don't just stick with campus but become a bit of a local too, and fit in more. Find out what's free to do, where the cinemas and theatres are, museums, parks, etc. Nearer the time, figure out the cheapest supermarkets, or cheapest ones that deliver online. Share a taxi with flatmates to supermarkets.
Don't take too much stuff with you, lots of things (like crockery) you can get at £ shops when you are there, and you might end up with a small room and you don't want it cramped, especially if inviting friends round.
It all depends where you are studying though, let us know and some locals might be at hand to give advice!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
Spend the next year researching exactly what you want to do.  Get internships in any field you're thinking about studying if you can.  Volunteer at places that will help you figure out what you want to do.  Explore your options as much as you can before you go.  Talk to people in the field and see if they like it.  Find out what your job options will be once you graduate as well.  Do as much as you possibly can to figure out what you want before you go to university. 

Over here it's insanely expensive to attend college, and the colleges encourage you to "find yourself" here.  What that really means is people go into college expecting to get in and out in 4 years, but many of them end up staying extra time(and spending extra money).  It's ok if you discover you picked wrong and have to change majors, but do yourself a HUGE favor and do your best to figure out what you want while the information's still free.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal