collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Meet Poe and Monty my two new rat babies!  (Read 841 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Meet Poe and Monty my two new rat babies!
« on: November 23, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
Well, the boys have been with me for a week now and they bring my rat count up to seven. I swear I'm not obsessed with soft furry rats, and I'm not a crazy old rat lady. :lookround:

Anyway, during the summer I believe, I found a rather kind breeder that lived in an area I used to teach actually. Her waiting list was full, but I got on it anyway because she had rex rats, and I loveeee the fur of rexes. At the start of November she contacted me about picking up a pair of babies that someone had decided not to get, so I of course was all over it. Especially since they were American Blues and  rex. A color and coat type I've wanted since I got my first pair of boys and realized that rats had more options than just the ones you saw at Petsmart. :lol:

I was really bummed that my wife had to work the weekend I planned to pick them up, since I hate going such long distances alone. Then my mom agreed to go with me which is different for her, so about a week ago we made the trip to Memphis.  Most of my family likes my rats, but they do find it a bit strange with my extreme rat love and willingness to go long distances for them (I'm strictly only getting them from breeders and my other five babies came from Texas. It was a long trip six hours there and back. This trip was much shorter, and half the distances of the other.

I would like to present Poe and Monty (Montressor). Oh, Poe looks solid in the pics, but he is a Berkshire, and I love how fun their coats feel even though they are only six weeks old at this point.  Monty is a big explorer and still a little shy about being handled much. Poe is very shy and doesn't seem to want to run around as much as Monty, but he will sit curled up on my shirt or my rat scarf. They both realized they loved their ears rubbed though and are all about going for that.  They will actually fight over which one gets their ears rubbed first.

Right now they are living in one of my spare cages that I don't like as much. I only have the one DCN with my older boys up top and my girls on the bottom. The goal is next time one is on sale I'll get a DCN, hopefully have intros with both pairs of boys and all four can live in a DCN together.

Anyway photos! And then their rainbow cage set I finished making. I still need to do some different hanging types of hammocks and some bridges but almost done.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

on the way home in the carrier

Monty up close and Poe in the back

Poe

cage set up

Monty and Poe's big genitals photo bombing.  :lol:

two rats one cup

cuddles

Also, just as a side note I thought their breeder was amazing! The breeder I got my boys/girls from was nowhere near as friendly or open as this breeder. The adoption paperwork was very thorough, and I was even at her house an hour or so talking about rats. She let me see all her guys and girls, and they were well taken care of. I got to hold the boys mom and dad (and daddy was soooo soft and fluffy I so would have kept him. lol)  I of course haven't known her a long period, but she seems like an individual that cares about the babies she sends off and the owners they live with. She has me added on FB and even has my number and was nice enough to check in and see how they were settling in their new homes. I hadn't had such an attentive breeder intereaction yet, but it's very pleasant to know she is there as a resource for questions and suggestions.  I've made some awesome online friends within the rat community, but I know very few real life rat owners besides my few teacher buddies and a student that loves rats.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Meet Poe and Monty my two new rat babies!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
Congrats on the new additions. I have 7 ratties too :)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »
Congrats on the new additions. I have 7 ratties too :)
Oooh pictures?

Formerly Maddie

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »
They are adorable! It is good to know that there are some good breeders out there that actually care and want to keep up with the animals they are selling. I wish they were all like that.

I have never had any rats but my brother has and he always tells me that I should get some and I would fall in love. He says they are like little dogs! :lol:

Congrats on your new additions.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »
They are darling! Congrats on your new little friends!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »
They are adorable! Btw, if 7 rats makes you a crazy rat lady, then I don't want to know what 9 cats makes me :)

kittyberry

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »
aw, your ratties are so adorable! hopefully one day i'll be able to have rats of my own once i'm out of dorm living, so seeing other people's keeps my wishful thinking going  ^.^

Binx

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:15 AM »
Such cute pics, really made me smile! I love rats, such brilliant pets  ^.^

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 04:05:55 AM »
eep! Love rats, they make such good pets, I'm very found of blues :3 too cute

flyawayraven

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 06:31:35 AM »
Oh my goodness they're so cute! Congrats on the new additions!

Offline TickleMePink

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:35:16 AM »
How cute are they? And don´t worry, I´m crazy Bunny lady! ;-)
:lovey: Yes to dance beneith the diamond sky with one hand waving free :lovey:
Thanks to Nence for my avatar!
Formerly known as gredelingrrrl

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »
Congrats! They're soooo cute! :lovey:
It's really nice to know your pets come from somewhere that really really cares about the pets they're putting up for adoption. I hope everything goes perfectly with them, they have such sweet little faces. :heart:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »
oooh babies! I wish I could have rats again, but I only ever had them in tanks when I was younger and now id just feel awful keeping them cooped up like that, I have no room for a big house for them.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
Congrats! They are adorable. My sister and I had pet rats when we were teens, and Monty reminds me of her Spencer.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 07:05:59 PM »
Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone!  Well 7 is just the rats, I don't think I even want to get into the other pets right now. :lol:

Let me see to just hit a few things mentioned. Yeah, tanks actually aren't ideal for rats since they don't allow ventilation. I used to keep hamsters in a tank as well though when I was a kid. My rats actually have their own room...they aren't spoiled at all. :P
They spend more time out during holidays of course, but they stay in their cages during the day when I'm gone. Luckily they are about double the size they need for their size, and then at night when I get home from work I grab a pair (or in the case of the girls a trio) and let them out and carry them around ect. Then after a while I switch. I keep my babies on a rotating schedule so everyone has time out of the cage and to play.

Rats do make awesome pets and my wife calls them my little rat dogs. They all have their individual personalities, but they are so very sweet and loving. My guys I've had for a while just sit in my lap a lot and brux (purr) when I scratch them or they follow me around the house.

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal