collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on Taking Offers on the Arena  (Read 630 times)

Offline cazz25

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Advice on Taking Offers on the Arena
« on: November 21, 2014, 05:33:41 AM »
Hi, I hope it's okay to put this here as it's not a problem just general advice.

In a few days I will be putting up for sale quite a rare MOC G1. I want to take offers on her to get the best price and because I really don't know what to ask, some ponies are hard to price.

I have sold a few ponies on the Arena before but never taken offers. So I have a few questions as I don't want to make any silly newbie mistakes.

1. What is the best way to take offers? I've had a look at sales pages and some appear different. Sorry I know this question is vague.

2. Should I put what the current offer is?

3. Should I set a starting price or would it be ok to wait and see what my first offer is?

4. If the pony doesn't make what I hoped for can I refuse to sell, is it ok to put that in the terms on the for sale page?

Sorry if some of these questions seem stupid I just want this to go well and I don't want to mess anyone about due to my inexperience. Thanks for any help  :)

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Taking Offers on the Arena
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »
1. I think the most important thing is that all the info is easily accessible in your post.
2. Personally I would put what the current offer is. Not everyone is going to put in their max bid from the start, but will up it as they get outbid.
3. My suggestion would be to put a starting price at the least amount you'd be willing to part with your pony for.
4. If you decide on a reserve you can put that in your listing info, yes.

Good luck!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:28:12 PM »
1. What is the best way to take offers?
I've made offers on some items, and here's a few things that I like to see:
A) Post the ending date and time and try to stick to it.  It's not unusual for things to run a bit over the stated ending time if you've got two or more bidders fighting over it, but avoid leaving things open ended.  A lot of people try to "snipe" on these things, and you'll probably get the most activity on the last day, so make sure you let people know when that is.

B)  A bidding war that overshoots the official ending time is annoying to the bidders, but don't let it stretch out too long. No bidder likes to be strung along for days.  And if anyone who wasn't involved in the original bidding war tries to jump in after the deadline and starts bidding, I always considered very bad form to accept their bids.  And once you tell someone they won, it's REALLY bad form to accept any other offers for the item.  I had one seller tell me I had officially won, got my address to figure out shipping, and then a few hours later tell me there's a brand new person interested in the item(they "missed" the auction that had ended two days before) that I had been waiting to pay for, and now if I wanted the item, it would cost me $100 more.  To say I was angry would have been a gross understatement. 

C)  Choose a location to receive your offers(most likely PM because that's what most people will do anyway), and use that to keep the order of bidders organized.  People will be posting in the thread, PMing you, and probably emailing you if you post your email address.  It could get really confusing who bid what amount first if you don't try to keep things all  in once place.  You will have to watch the thread though to make sure nobody's posting offers there.

2. Should I put what the current offer is?

Yes, it's considerate to bidders, and it'll cut down on bids from bidders who wouldn't pay enough to win anyway.  I also like to have the seller contact me if I get outbid.  I usually end up bidding more if the seller is willing to let me know if I'm outbid or not. 

3. Should I set a starting price or would it be ok to wait and see what my first offer is?

If you have a price in mind, you'll probably want to put a starting price of some sort.

4. If the pony doesn't make what I hoped for can I refuse to sell, is it ok to put that in the terms on the for sale page?

That's fine as long as the fact that you might not sell if you don't get the price you want is in the original thread.   

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:58:09 AM »
You have some very good advice here - thanks both!  :)  :bigups:  I cant think of anything else to add at the moment but I will come back and post if I think of something
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline cazz25

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
Thanks so much, that's really great advice. I feel a lot more confident about it now  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal