collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rit Dye and ponies  (Read 534 times)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
Rit Dye and ponies
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:13 AM »
Hi there :)
ive got a question to all of you who have ever used Rit Dye to change a baits body color!
Years ago (im not sure how long ago exactly), me and my friend tried Rit Dye to change body colors on ponies. We had a tutorial from the internet from a person who showed how to dye a little pony with Rit Dye, it had pics and everything and we did exactly what we were told. (I dont know the name of the person anymore, thats again for that awesome tutorial, it was really fun <3)
The ponies mostly came out beautiful and we both were really delighted!! We made a bunch of customs using that technique (G1, G3 and fakies).
Sadly I recently discovered that most of those dyed ponies are not as beautiful as they were... now my question : did you use RitDye on ponies too? Did they loose color over the years? Did anything else happen to them (getting sticky for example?). While the G1 got brownish or / and darker / greyish in genereal, the G3 alsmost lost the color and faded to their original color. The Fakies are still great, lol.
I have at least one bait left that has lost its color and Id like to try it again but before I do I want to find out if its common for them to loose color or if we maybe made a mistake... please share your experiences with me :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Rit Dye and ponies
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:40 AM »
In my experience, dyeing ponies never works out well in the long run. Even if it looks great at first over time it ends up with issues. I don't dye anymore because of it. FBRs all the way.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
I think the only success I've seen with dye and ponies was a very very prolonged boil....hours. Even then, it bled a little. I don't know what's happened to the pony since then. :(
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
I "set" dyed ponies with vinegar and that seems to keep them from bleeding.  The dyed ponies that I've kept in my personal collection still look good 2-3 years later.  I don't know about any of the commissions or swaps that have gone out. 
The probably I'm having with my most recent project is uneven dying- kind of a mottled effect.  Grrr!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:04:27 PM »
I'd say it's a dicey game.  Super hot water and a vinegar dip to set the color certainly help, but it can depend on the plastic that that particular ponies was made of, how it is stored, and how much light it's been exposed to.  It can be beautiful but I would think of dyeing as a "living" artwork that will change over time.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 06:49:36 AM »
thank you all for your commets :)
I had so many different results with using the same technique on all so I think... Id rather stick to paint when changing body color now !

Offline JaguarKisses

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • JaguarKisses Customs
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
I was going to say i have done the vinegar set and a pony that i did 5 years ago still looks like i just did it. It does depend on the plastic and the temp that you have the water as well. RIT works best at 140 degrees F. then Ice cold water with Vinegar.

Although I have not done a dye job since G4's hit the market.

galaxystardust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »
Please can someone explain the vinegar set to me. I have just recently dyed a G1 Seashell back to her purple (mine was badly faded to almost white) and I cannot seem to get her to stop bleeding dye  :cry:

I'm thinking my error lies in the fact that I did not add vinegar to the dye mix before dyeing her.

Is it too late now? Or can I soak her in vinegar and water after the fact?
And if so, how much vinegar do I add to the water and how long do I soak her for?

Sorry for all the questions  >_<
 :cloud:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal