collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help with G1 ribbons please  (Read 325 times)

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Help with G1 ribbons please
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
Ugh I'm not even sure why I've decided to take on this project.    :blink:

I'm at the point where I'm trying to identify the pile of G1 ribbons I have.  The picture below are the first ones I am dealing with.  I can figure out who they belong to within reason myself but as I started looking at them I'm questioning if all of them are original MLP.  Really it's the last one in the picture that's bothering me.  It's longer than the others and is blue on one end and then fades into white. No MLP ribbon does that that I know of though I guess it's possible something could have been spilled on it or it could have been partially left in the sun.  I know ribbons are really hard but are there any experts out there that can confirm what I have is or is not MLP?  Thanks for any help you can offer.  :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Cricket

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Help with G1 ribbons please
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »
http://www.greatponies.com/ribbons.html <- is a great link for working out ribbons. I can't see the photos as I'm at work but usually you can tell by the feel of the ribbons if they're MLP ones or not. I suggest you find one that you KNOW is original and test it out against the ones you're not sure of.

I have a Ziploc bag with quite a few ribbons that I have to go through and ID, I've been using the site above to do that.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »
There was also an amazing ribbon topic a few months back wow jeez looking at the timestamp it was a whole year ago... :shocked: Time sure flies in the corral but here it is: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,343276.0.html

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 03:51:33 AM »
I know what you mean... being different lengths, even variations in texture, weight, being shiny/matte, it can be very hard to tell if a ribbon is truly authentic, and if so who they belong to.  The only failsafe way is to get ribbons with a pony from an original owner I guess!

Other than Lady Twilight's page, Dream Valley has a section listing ribbon colours that may be of some help.

http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/ribbons.html

I have a folder of pics on my computer that I add to when I see photos of ponies MIB or with their original ribbons, to get a visual idea of what came with who :)  That older Arena thread was great too!  Good luck cricket! :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »
In general MLP ribbons - as long as you have original ones you are certain of to compare to - should be easy enough to confirm as true.

Unfortunately I would say that the last one in your picture is just a little too long to be MLP however I cant recommend strongly enough that thread of Vale's it is awesome and has so much information!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
So happy to see that my ribbon thread is remembered--thanks Prancingstag and Hathorcat!

I've had some ribbons cross my path that have that kind of fading/bleached look. Usually the pattern was on both sides, which makes it less likely the sun is the culprit, although the ribbons are probably thin enough that the sun could penetrate the ribbon and fade the opposite side. My guess is that the ribbon dye has become unstable and leeched out, possibly through getting wet or simply getting old. The ribbons I had that did that were blues, so maybe blues are just more prone to that.

Sundance's ribbon is a bit longer than usual and shinier, but I'm guessing it's not the one you have there.

:)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

brittney_rochelle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
I'm glad to have these sites! I need to ID a ribbon i have

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal