collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you use official MLP names for your toys as a kid?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
Re: Did you use official MLP names for your toys as a kid?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
I was too young to remember most of my ponies original names and i didn't have any that appeared in my comics or on TV. Baby Billie always kept her name (though her gender swapped) and Melody kept hers as i was seven when i got her and old enough to remember. But before that most of them had different names. In fact most of them till do lol. I'm forever calling ponies by the names i gave them as a kid, even though i know and remember their real names :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 05:10:26 PM »
I knew how to read so all the packaging told stories and so did the coloring books, so yeah, I called them by their real MLP names if I knew them.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 05:26:26 PM »
My G3s were always called by their real names because I would read the packaging obsessively.  Plus, I have always just been really good at remembering names.  However, through some misunderstanding/assumption, Pink Sunsparkle was Princess Sunsparkle in my herd.  She has kept that name to this day because I can't think of her as anything else after all these years of her being "princess".  What can I say, it suits her.

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
All of mine that I got new or that I got second hand but knew the name from cartoons, MLP booklets etc kept their proper names.  Some yard sale finds though I had no clue of until the Internet.   The only one I got correct with the name I'd given them was Twist.  :D

Oh some of the teeny tiny twins my cousins and I renamed because our boxes didn't have names on them.  We came up with things like Sam & Ella.  Get it?

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 08:06:11 PM »
I did my best with keeping original names. Many of my ponies were bought second-hand, so it wasn't until the internet came along that I could start using their real names (gods, did I just date myself?).

The one major problem I had was BBE Baby Gusty and Sparkle Baby Gusty. Couldn't have 2 different ponies with the same name! So BBE Gusty stayed Gusty and Sparkle Baby became Baby Gust (obviously, I was YEARS beyond my classmates in term of creativity).

I didn't start getting duplicates in my herd for several years after that, and then they were mostly stand-ins and stunt doubles, so they didn't need original names at all.

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 10:24:53 PM »
I knew the pony names and mostly used them, but sometimes, my friends and I would change the names, based on what we were playing. I remember going through the things I'd left behind at my mum's place and found a piece of paper in my friend's hand-writing, with original pony names and the ones we'd made up.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »
I think the only pony I never used the official name for was Minty, I always called her Lucky. heh.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 01:08:05 AM »
Absolutely!  I knew all of the ponies names by heart and put a new one on my wish list for each Christmas and birthday :)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
Couldn't have 2 different ponies with the same name! So BBE Gusty stayed Gusty and Sparkle Baby became Baby Gust (obviously, I was YEARS beyond my classmates in term of creativity).

I had that problem with baby ponies too.  I hated that they had the same names as their moms.  I think baby surprise becaume Baby Balloons.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 08:41:50 AM »
I didn't pay much attention to packaging, I don't think, but I did have the PC game, so Triple Treat, Sunny Daze, Sparkleworks etc retained their official names. Others, like Hidden Treasure and Starbeam and Breezie, either had made up names I've forgotten or were nameless (my childhood pony phase was early and brief).
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 08:53:13 AM »
The only pony I can remember renaming was G2 Ivy - I got her second-hand (during the years of G3 :p) and didn't know what her name was or anything, so I just called her Thistle. For some reason it didn't occur to me until years later that I could have just looked up her name. x)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
Yes and no. If I like the name I'll keep it, if I didn't know/like it, I'll change it.
Childhood Salty has a stupid name so I called him Tugboat
I got a carousel pony from a friend and called her Cassidy. It was only recently that I discovered her name is really Sunnybunch
I'm not a kid now but I have a G3 called Blushie. I think her name is stupid so I call her Bouquet.
I'm thinking about changing Whizzer's name because somehow I don't think Hasbro thought that one through lol
Mimi is the nickname my kid gave to Curlylocks (Super Paper Mario reference)
I keep calling Water fire Firewater because it sounds better
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:23:54 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
Squeezer was by far the most creative. At the beginning of Rescue at Midnight Castle, the narrator says "starring Sandy Duncan and Tony Randall" just as Bowtie trots into view. Well Bowtie looked like Squeezer, so she was named "Tony Randall" for the longest time.

Oh, that's classic. Kid logic at its finest!  :lol:

My ponies were second hand, (and none of them were ones featured in our VHS of Midnight Castle) so I never knew their official names. This is really weird, but I don't think I ever gave them names.  :blink: Although, I was very young when I played with them the most, so I guess that makes sense. The few times I got them out when I was older, I must have just made names up for them on the spot.

Come to think of it, I never named any of my LPS either. I guess names just didn't mean much to me at the time.
I'll put something here some time

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
All of my childhood ponies were handed down to me, so almost all of them had made-up names - none too imaginative either; Up Up and Away was 'Balloons', Posey was 'Tulips', Sugarberry was 'Strawberries', Baby Sleepyhead was 'PJs' but for some odd reason, Cherries Jubilee was randomly called Magoo. Majesty kept her proper name, as she was in a little storybook that I had at the time, but that was about it.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
Yes, No, and Kind of XD

If I had the packaging, yes, for the most part. If they were characters on the show, yes. If I didn't know their official names but they had any vague resemblance to the cartoon characters, then they would get that name (so Brilliant Bloom was Wind Whistler in my herd, for example). A few got made-up names based on their symbols (mostly my cousin's ponies since she would ask me their names), but the rest that I didn't know never got names.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal