collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on opening MIP G1's?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
What are your thoughts on opening MIP G1's?
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »
Just wondering, what's everyone's thoughts on opening MIP G1's? I'm not talking about G1's on card or in a box, I'm talking the ones stuck in a little plastic baggy and it's almost teasing you because you just can't touch the pony.   >_< -_- I like my ponies to be as mint as possible, it feels like for some having them mint in packet is the only way.

So what's everyone's thoughts? I don't know if I could bring myself to do it, I have a MIP baby ribbons and hearts and I refrain from opening, but, the bag annoys me.   :enraged: :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts on opening MIP G1's?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:48:44 PM »
I think it's not a spur-of-the moment thing and definitely something you should really think about first.

However, it's YOUR pony. I've been jumped on for saying this before, but I can't stress it enough. I do think it would be unwise because of value. It's probably better to trade for an already loose one. But, if it bothers you that much, I say go for it. It's yours and you paid for it- you're free to do what you want with it. Just understand why it's perhaps something you should research first.

This is a touchy subject, but at the end of the day, it's just a toy. As long as you're happy with it, then I'm happy with it.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
Opening bagged ones doesn't bother me as much as the idea of opening carded/boxed ones. Still, I think it's a shame because it's a rare cool item before and as soon as you open it, bam, not special anymore. That one at least isn't a very expensive one.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:00:26 AM »
It depends on the pony, for me. I opened my Baby Ribbons and Hearts during the time there was basically a never ending pit of them on eBay, and even now, there really isn't much of a difference between the price. Same goes with most of the cheap-ish mail orders.

But when you get to the more expensive mail orders, like the TAF babies, pretty mane ponies, Rapunzel and co., I think you'd ought to trade for a loose, minty one (or sell the one you have and then use the money to buy a loose one) because MIPs of them are actually sought after. At the end of the day, it's your pony though.

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 06:29:12 AM »
Depends on what your long-term plans are for the ponies in question, I think. If the ponies are for your collection and your enjoyment, indefinitely, then open them if you want!  If you instead prioritize resale value, leave them in their package.  Everyone has different plans for their collections - do what makes you happiest in the long run!

Offline amazonarabian

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
It's your pony.  What would make you happiest?  Maybe you can get an unbagged version to play with and keep this one bagged- if you're torn about it.
Thank you, brightberry, for my lovely avi.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
This tends to come up a lot - my advice would be don't open it because you can get a lot more money for it in box by selling it. If you really want an out of box pony, you can find really awesome condition ponies for a fraction of the price and then with the money you made on selling the MIB G1 you could buy multiple out of box ponies.

But it's your pony if you want to do it, whatever, I don't really care personally but meh I just think it makes more sense to sell it and make a profit then you can buy a minty pony that is out of box.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »
*chuckle*  Here is a story!  Once upon a time, a collector found a lovely MIB rare pony. She paid $800 for it. She was a loose collector, but said pony had not come up for sale loose in years. She wanted to debox and created a thread just like this. Many people posted, most of them newer to the mlp collecting world, and said 'do it, let them breathe! It is your pony, do what you want! Debox, Debox!'.  Two people - one of them myself - posted and said, nuh-uh, dont' debox such a rare pony, display them MIP until you can find a loose one. If you debox you devalue the pony.

Well, said collector deboxed her pony. She never planned to sell it, it was for her own enjoyment. Six months later, she found herself in need of funds. And sold me the de-re-boxed (which still looked MIB, but had been opened and displayed) pony for $325. (I am a MIB collector only, but made an exception since these hadn't come up for sale before or since.)

The moral of this story is that rare early ponies should NOT be deboxed unless the packaging is ruined and ads nothing to the value.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »
I wouldn't because of the money factor.  But I can understand why you'd want to, I hate bagged ponies so much.  As everyone else has suggested, you can buy the pony loose for so much less.  Might as well do that.  If you can't find one loose for less than your bagged one, go for it.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
I agree with the others that mention value. My opinion if it's survived in the package, box or on card this long why not just let it be? There's plenty of loose ponies that are the same that you can search out if you need that spur of the moment pony touch and hair comb time...

I have 5 in bag rice krispies babies. Have I had the urge to set any of them free? No (and it's not because of the countless loose ones I have as well to torture whenever I want.) One day after everyone else has set her free of her baggie I will be a millionaire because I'll have the only ones still in bag... mwah ha ha ha... ...just a thought

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
If it was me I probably wouldn't - although I have a couple that continue to annoy me as I have in all these years been unable to find them loose and complete. *glares at Good Weather* However that being said, ponies dont belong to the community at large; they belong to individuals so as long as someone is aware of the devaluing they cause by releasing I think its someones personal choice.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »
I am in the do not debox camp - I always recommend trying to find one loose if you can not keep it MIB.  But it is your pony and ultimately you need to sleep with what you do.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
In bag or in box, I would pass it on to someone else. I do follow the 'it's your pony, do whatever you like' policy, but I'd rather help out an MIB collector. If it was a scenario where I had to keep the pony though (like, say it was a sentimental gift, or no one was interested in taking it from me), I would open it without regret because I can't enjoy something I can't play with.

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 03:48:30 AM »
I'm a loose collector but I've bought a couple of bagged mail order rainbow ponies so I knew 100% they were the MO version and not store version. I debagged them because the bags had made the ponies horribly sticky and looked gross on display. I have two MO babies (half note and tiddly winks) and they look lovely in their bags so I kept them as they were.

I bought one baby on card because the chances of finding her in the condition I needed her in loose was beyond low so I decarded her. There is one other baby pony I would do this with for the same reason but generally speaking I will buy loose.

In short, it all depends.

The chances of me selling are far too low for their re-sale value to even come into it for me.

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 04:52:30 AM »
It's a matter of patience. Sooner, or later you will find an unboxed one in good condition, and then you can sell the boxed, buy unboxed and buy yourself a bucket of ice cream for the difference in price (or even something more, than ice cream, if the difference is $500...). So, just wait, till you find an unboxed one IMO.
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal