collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What would be a good subtitle for the MLP movie?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
What would be a good subtitle for the MLP movie?
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
So, I've been thinking about what might be a better subtitle for the G1 MLP film other than just "The Movie."   :P

I've tried to think of the major elements of the film (smooze, flutter ponies etc.), but the ideas I've had either sound awkward or '50s B-movie corny.  I also think some subtitle mentioning the flutter ponies would be giving too much away?  Like Quest for the Flutter Ponies or something.  Attack (or Invasion) of the Smooze sounds pretty corny, like I said.   :lookround:

Any of you lovely pony people have some suggestions?  Let's hear them!  :D

Offline ponies4me

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Die hard Tales fan
    • View Profile
    • Online Shop
Re: What would be a good subtitle for the MLP movie?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:51:18 PM »
I never thought of that! I thought 'The Movie' sounded pretty great to me as a kid, but thinking up other names is a fun idea too! Hmmm... My ideas sound pretty silly too:
My Little Pony: Trials of Friendship
My Little Pony: You Smooze, You Lose!
Want List
LF: Baby Gametime and Li'l Cupcake (fair to mint conditions)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:00:39 AM »
My Little Pony: Villains Got a Major Downgrade.

I think the problem is the movie tried really hard to not focus on anything.  It never bothered to established true protagonists (Wind Whistler and Fizzy took it by default but never got the benefit of having their characters really fleshed out in the story).  Therefore, defining the story by a single tagline or subtitle is really difficult.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 06:24:08 AM »
Spaceballs 2 My Little Pony The Movie: The Quest for More Money

My Little Pony: The One with the Smooze

Seriously though, I found the Smooze the most memorable part of the movie and would probably focus on that. I personally like Invasion of the Smooze.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:25:55 AM by NoPonySpecial »
I'll put something here some time

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
I think the problem is the movie tried really hard to not focus on anything.  It never bothered to established true protagonists (Wind Whistler and Fizzy took it by default but never got the benefit of having their characters really fleshed out in the story).  Therefore, defining the story by a single tagline or subtitle is really difficult.

I think you have an excellent point.  I noticed that the whole storyline is a bit scattershot - what with the Baby LS/Spike/Grundles subplot, the kids + random ponies going off to stop the smooze, the witches' obnoxious bumbling, and the introduction of the flutter pony deus ex machina rather late into the plot, among other things.  There are really not much in the way of focal points... it's frustrating!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 02:47:53 PM »
I think they were afraid if they designated a few ponies the stars of the movie and focused on their characters and a story centered on them, they would overshadow the other ponies of the year.  We instead got an uninteresting story with underdeveloped characters.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 07:33:55 AM »
I like the Invasion of the Snooze as well! It sounds exciting and is probably the thing most people will remember as well. Corny? Maybe a little. But so are most movie titles.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »

LOL!! I love this! This is what I call it!! :haha:

Now I totally want to make a custom movie cover with this as the title. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:19:47 AM »
I think the problem is the movie tried really hard to not focus on anything.  It never bothered to established true protagonists (Wind Whistler and Fizzy took it by default but never got the benefit of having their characters really fleshed out in the story). 
Yeah, I like the MLP movie, but I think you've hit the nail on the head there - it lacks focus, and basically goes here, there, and everywhere with its plot.

One would think (at least I would) that they would have had Baby Lickity-Split as the main character for the movie, as she was placed in a position that the target audience could relate to, i.e. feeling that the adults were being to hard on her, and then learning that running away isn't the answer, but also being more invovled in the Smooze storyline, like maybe finding out things about it (because after running away she ended up where the witches were or something), and then putting her sadness of being treated unfairly (in her mind) behind her to go back, and help the ponies and maybe give her some doubt like "They wouldn't listen to me anyway..." give her more of an isecurity that a child of that age, who's just been blamed more so than she deserved to be (it was her fault that the dance was ruined in a way, but it was also Buttons' fault for actully stopping the dance, as they could have just recovered it, and some kids often want their moment in the spotlight...).

Basically I would have used her more, because it started out as a storyline I relate to, and most kids would relate to, but it's kind of put in the background.  Even though Buttons and Lickity-Split have a non-dialogue friendship moment, I would have liked a scene where they both apologised to one another.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 08:52:14 PM »
I think they were afraid if they designated a few ponies the stars of the movie and focused on their characters and a story centered on them, they would overshadow the other ponies of the year.  We instead got an uninteresting story with underdeveloped characters.

Which, when you think about it, is about 180 degrees different from their current business plan, I.e. Heavily focused on a small group of ponies with a clear lead protagonist.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
This is gold.  Pure gold!   :iconclap:
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Darker

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Hello there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 01:13:09 PM »
The Unstoppable Smooze.

Which then comes the irony of how he's stopped by the Flutterponies.  :P

I still think that the Smooze should have been defeated in a less plot-convenient way.
It is the evil that lies in ourselves that is ever least tolerant of the evil that lies in others.

-Maurice Maeterlinck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal