collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW Welovefine Deluxe Figure Discord and Fluttershy  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Welovefine Deluxe Figure Discord and Fluttershy
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

I REALLY want this figure. But, as an international customer, it's $150- and because I'm hosting a party soon, I literally do not have $150 to my name at the moment. I'm worried they're going to sell out before I can afford to buy one! I don't have a credit card, either. :(

Don't worry, if it sells out absolutely have a SECOND third or fourth "limited" edition of the same thing.  Like they have done with every other figure they have produced.  And if the figure is still popular, they might also have a variation like making it metallic or flocked...  these figures are NOT limited.
To be fair, they still haven't done any other releases of Twilight and Trixie.

That's not to say that it won't happen in the future, but it'd be nice if they actually stick to what they said for these and not make any more variants/releases.
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »

Warning: Opinion-

Price aside, I think the reason this figure bothers me is the attitude it has going on- the relationship between Fluttershy and Discord is NOT one of a scary beast and a pony with Stockholm Syndrome. This statue makes it look like weak little Fluttershy is being 'guarded' by an evil monster, which is a trope that is popular with (some) fans.

As far as I understand it, Fluttershy and Discord are the epitome of an odd couple (friend-wise), and it's played in the series to be meaningful, teaching, and overall sweet. This doesn't convey that and I feel that's what's missing.

The same thing bothers me. Why did they have to give him a face like he's scheming or something? Though, I can imagine why they felt like they should. There probably would've been too much "Discord doesn't look like a villain!! It's too cute! I hate it!" backlash. If they wanted to do an evil looking Discord...they should've just given him his own individual figure instead of one with Fluttershy. I'd really like this figure if they looked like they were friends.

Discord isn't even really evil, he's chaotic, and it isn't the same thing. Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis, Sombra fall more on the evil side but they always get played as being cutesy. Not sure why Discord is somehow "supposed" to look evil.

Way too many people think they're the same thing. I just take this from previous online tantrums thrown by people. People who like Discord to appear evil seem to be at the very least, a vocal population.

Because he IS a villain. He nearly destroyed Equestria three times and hardly had any problem betraying Fluttershy (and everyone else) in order to team up with Tirek. He is clearly not some mindles drone who can't control his actions. So his choice to destroy Equestria and betray his "friends" was very deliberate.
If one villain isn't really a villain than that's probably Chrysalis. Her kind needs to feed on love in order to survive. That's a lot less evil than a creature that torments others for fun.

Yeah, but it still doesn't fit the theme of this figure. Plus, the show keeps telling us that he's now permanently reformed.  Like what was said earlier, it looks like Fluttershy is being guarded by a monster. I don't think it was a very good choice for facial expression. I would've like to see more of an obvious friendship vibe.

The figure looks how it looks, because it's based on the fan art and that said fan art has Discord looking that way.

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »

Price aside, I think the reason this figure bothers me is the attitude it has going on- the relationship between Fluttershy and Discord is NOT one of a scary beast and a pony with Stockholm Syndrome. This statue makes it look like weak little Fluttershy is being 'guarded' by an evil monster, which is a trope that is popular with (some) fans.

As far as I understand it, Fluttershy and Discord are the epitome of an odd couple (friend-wise), and it's played in the series to be meaningful, teaching, and overall sweet. This doesn't convey that and I feel that's what's missing.

Here's the original art that the figurine is based on:

I think something was lost in translation between the art and the figurine. Discord certainly look a lot more menacing in the figurine, where I get the feel that in the art he looks like he's just mischievous/devious.

:fox:

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »

I think something was lost in translation between the art and the figurine. Discord certainly look a lot more menacing in the figurine, where I get the feel that in the art he looks like he's just mischievous/devious.

Maybe it's because I can't see all the details in the figure, but you're right- the art has the right feel going to for it, but the figure doesn't. :/
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2014, 03:34:50 AM »
In the art both he and Fluttershy are smiling a little. He is being devious she is somewhat amused.  It looks like they share a friendship.

In the figure he looks sinister like he is about to capture Fluttershy and she looks sort of...drowsy and sad?  Like she knows she can't escape and is dizzy or otherwise not feeling well.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2014, 05:12:49 AM »
In the art both he and Fluttershy are smiling a little. He is being devious she is somewhat amused.  It looks like they share a friendship.

In the figure he looks sinister like he is about to capture Fluttershy and she looks sort of...drowsy and sad?  Like she knows she can't escape and is dizzy or otherwise not feeling well.

They actually are smiling a bit.
http://www.welovefine.com/featured/177-the-next-super-fantastic-not-another-variant-figure#.VDkeXDwcRkh
You can see it better on those pictures.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »
I love the figure, but not the price =/

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
Oh you're right I see the smiles better there.

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »

Oh you're right I see the smiles better there.

There we go yeah for sure those are better angles for that figure. Still not in love with it, but it's better now.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »
I keep going back and looking at this figure. XD It really is pretty cool, def. my fav. WLF figure so far. If I come up with some extra $ before they sell out, or they have some crazy black friday sale or something, I think I might try to get one.

Alzatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2014, 03:41:06 PM »
Managed to remember and preorder it a couple weeks back. Dunno, to be it seems like a young girl and her menacing looking beastly friend that will always protect her just popped up probably about to do the protecting. Lol.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »
Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

I REALLY want this figure. But, as an international customer, it's $150- and because I'm hosting a party soon, I literally do not have $150 to my name at the moment. I'm worried they're going to sell out before I can afford to buy one! I don't have a credit card, either. :(

Don't worry, if it sells out absolutely have a SECOND third or fourth "limited" edition of the same thing.  Like they have done with every other figure they have produced.  And if the figure is still popular, they might also have a variation like making it metallic or flocked...  these figures are NOT limited.
To be fair, they still haven't done any other releases of Twilight and Trixie.

That's not to say that it won't happen in the future, but it'd be nice if they actually stick to what they said for these and not make any more variants/releases.

I don't know about variants, but it does look like they are planning another release of both Trixie and Twilight. Both figures now say "1 of 2 edition of 2400" AND "no variants will be made"

I think no variations will be made since these figures don't seem to be selling terribly well.  It is implied that there is only two editions but I certainly would not count on that. I am absolutely positive that if they sell out of the two printed editions, they will print another "edition" of 2400. 

The description of the Discord and Fluttershy figure is a bit more misleading-it says "First Ever Limited Edition  !!!" "Limited pre-purchase there will be no other variants"   

Translating based on WeLoveFine's past behavior- I totally see this as meaning that if this figure does sell out, we will print a "second limited edition" and so on until interest wanes. 

They aren't exactly telling a bold face lie (again like they did with Muffins and DJ when they claimed that the figures were limited and OMG HURRY YOU WILL MISS YOUR CHANCE TO OWN THIS FIGURE FOREVER!!!! only to release another limited edition, and another, and then a couple of variants) - but it is definitely worded in a way to make people (who don't know better) think that there are not going to be any more made after the "limited edition" runs out.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:18:19 PM by Galactica »

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
I love it, but at $100... Yeeeah, I'll pass.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
Putting aside my irritation with WeLoveFine itself, I think the figure is pretty darned cool.

It does seem a bit overpriced at $100 though- I wonder if they are testing the market for more expensive figures? If this one sells well they may well have more in the future. I've noticed that their vinyl figures in various different lines (all based on fan art) seem to be selling pretty darned well.  I'm guessing they are making $$ hand over fist with these.  It would be nice if the artist who came up with the design were getting some kind of commission for each one, even if it was small.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »

Wow- the expression on the original and the figure are pretty different.  I would have really loved this if the expression would have been a bit less creepy.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal