collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Words Hasbro uses too much in relation to MLP.  (Read 5439 times)

squishy turdl

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Words Hasbro uses too much in relation to MLP.
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
I have to say the words: cutie mark. This makes me cringe and it's used quite often...

agreed

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 04:03:38 PM »
I have to say the words: cutie mark. This makes me cringe and it's used quite often...

Oh yes - I am not a fan of this term either. But I do admit that could be the old gen collector in me just wanting them to be "symbols". Although I like to think at least we dont call them "rump designs" which was the official name by

Yes, I think that the majority of us old school collectors find the term quite off putting. I honestly would find it a bit more tolerable if it would not be used to refer to other generations besides G4.
At least hasrro hasn't started calling them tooshie tattoos... ::shudders::

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
Like most people said before me, anything synonymous with dazzling or glitter bothers me. It's like Hasbro tries to act like a grand Disney wizard by tossing sparkle dust onto everything to make it seem extra magic. haha :)
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 04:27:10 PM »
How about "princess"?  So many princesses.  Why can't we have a grand duchess or maybe a countess every once in a while?

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 04:34:45 PM »
I want to see a Dame Cotton Candy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »
Sparkle, Star, Pie, Twinkle, Apple, Bright, Daisy, rainbow, Royal, Princess,
:accomplished:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »
and seriously Alicorn?!  they   wouldnt kwno what a alicorn was  if it bit them in the butt.   it's the  horn.  not the      winged unicorn.   its liek they  just  took random  words   that  desrcibe things and      make them mean soemting  else.   
I call them alacorns (ala=wing, corn-horn).  Calling them alicorns is a brony thing that Meghan McCarthy adopted.
It's not a brony thing.  While it can mean a unicorns horn, it has been used to describe a winged unicorn.  Maybe it was meant to be "alacorn", but there is at least one book (I think it's a book) that used "alicorn" to mean "winged unicorn" long before FIM or the brony fandom was a thing.

Celestia was also refered to as an alicorn by a Deviantart commenter before the show even aired.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:46:21 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 05:30:11 PM »
How about "princess"?  So many princesses.  Why can't we have a grand duchess or maybe a countess every once in a while?
When they introduced Queen Chrysalis in FiM, I was shocked. I didn't think we'd be getting any queens, then we got King Sombra... such a breath of fresh air, even if they're villains.

Then again, I've always been a fan of villains.  :lol:

It'd be awesome to see some other titles!
Instagram / Want List

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
and seriously Alicorn?!  they   wouldnt kwno what a alicorn was  if it bit them in the butt.   it's the  horn.  not the      winged unicorn.   its liek they  just  took random  words   that  desrcibe things and      make them mean soemting  else.   
I call them alacorns (ala=wing, corn-horn).  Calling them alicorns is a brony thing that Meghan McCarthy adopted.
It's not a brony thing.  While it can mean a unicorns horn, it has been used to describe a winged unicorn.  Maybe it was meant to be "alacorn", but there is at least one book (I think it's a book) that used "alicorn" to mean "winged unicorn" long before FIM or the brony fandom was a thing.

Celestia was also refered to as an alicorn by a Deviantart commenter before the show even aired.

They started using it because most bronies started to use that name. Before that they were just called unicorns. Bronies might not have invented the word but they are the reason we now have "alicorns".

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »

They started using it because most bronies started to use that name. Before that they were just called unicorns. Bronies might not have invented the word but they are the reason we now have "alicorns".
I see what you mean, but I had to correct the fact that it was stated as "a brony term".  I wouldn't be surprised if they used the term because bronies were using it, but it's still been a term before (but it's been used more now, I guess) and meant a winged unicorn.

I still like that they are called alicorns though, it makes sense that they have their own name.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »
"Sweet" seems to be a big one in every gen. Not much of a problem. But in G3 and 4, they occasionally use it to replace part of a word, like in Sweetcream Scoops. That mildly irks me.
"Wishes" is also used often. Sky Wishes, Ribbon Wishes, Rainbow Wishes, etc.
Also, "pink." Pinkie Pie, Twilight Pink, Pink Dreams x2, baby Pink Sunsparkle....
Sparkle. Princess Twilight Sparkle, original Princess Sparkle, Euro Princess Sparkle, baby Princess Sparkle, baby Pink Sunsparkle, baby Sparkleberry Swirl, need I go on?
Twilight. Unicorn Twilight, So Soft Twilight, Twilight Twinkle, Twilight Pink, Twilight Sparkle, Twilight Sky... am I missing anyone?
Really, a pony's design is enough to forgive an overly generic or odd name for me. So the real question is how many pink-on-pink ones with boring/ugly symbols they're going to release.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
The word in itself refers to what a unicorns horn is made of in alchemy teachings, so it would make sense to name a winged unicorn alicorn. At least if you add in the alacorn theory. I don't mind the word, since it's an entirely different type of horse/pony. :)
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »
Really, a pony's design is enough to forgive an overly generic or odd name for me. So the real question is how many pink-on-pink ones with boring/ugly symbols they're going to release.
As many as they can convince stores little girls will buy.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »
Dazzle and glimmer I have noticed they love to use.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »
I wonder what marketing research suggests "Dazzle" is an attractive word to little girls.

The same one which says they like pinks and purples and whites...that they prefer princesses over robots...that they like sparkle and glitter. Dazzle is more a little girl word than calling the pony Daring Do Defiant.

It may be pretty genetic and pretty stereotypical to some people but unfortunately for some (and fortunately for marketeers) stereotypical values and expectations exist for a reason...because most of them have a grounding in fact and reality.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal