collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you pay attention to your dreams?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Do you pay attention to your dreams?
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
Well, this may sound a little fuzzy but here we go.. Let's say you were considering your life and different deciscions. Then you suddenly had a dream where a stranger told you what you ought to do and in the dream you realised that it was the right descicion, even if it might not was what you wanted to do.

Would you pay any attention to the dream? Would you even consider that it could be some kind of higher consciousness speaking? (Given of course that the dream represented an option which made some sense to you awake too. Not that a stranger in a dream told you to sell your belongings and climb Mount everest  :)) Or would you dismiss the dream completly from your deciscionmaking?

This happened to me recently and I'm curios on how others would feel about it. Or maybe someone have experienced something similar?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Do you pay attention to your dreams?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:09:24 AM »
I would definitely not discard your rational thought process in favor of a dream.  For example, because of what I do, I am often all bunched up about how to solve an unsolvable problem. I keep thinking if I just find the right case, or look at it a different way, I will win for my clients.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone to sleep and dreamed up a solution, only to wake up and realize that my brain was just trying to make me feel better.  The problem is still there, waiting for a REAL solution.

I guess what I'm getting at is that maybe you have been wondering about what to do with your life and what the right decision is- and there would be some relief and comfort in someone telling you what the correct answer was. So that may be what your brain did. Not necessarily the right decision, just your brain saying "well what if...?"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:11:33 AM by Galactica »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:31:16 AM »
Well, sometimes the dream is part of your rational thought process.  You may have worked through your options in your dream (and during the waking hours too) and your mind just realized you knew what decision to make during the dream so played it out for you.   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »
You both have good points. Of course I wouldn't toss my rational thinking overboard. I have had more stressrelated dreams too, where my mind seems to have made up crazy solutions of dilemmas at work. But this one was more different.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
I rarely remember my dreams, I can honestly say that since three years of age I only remember five dreams. One of them did however change my life. Two and a half years ago I was unemployed and searched high and low for dussins of jobs a day and came up with nothing. After two and a half month of unemployment I dreamt that I was at a movie theatre, working. I woke up at 5 am and imidiatly got on my computer, went to the movie theatres website and clicked on the "work for us" and applied. A week later they called me up, scheduled an interview and two and a half year later I'm still there. :) So no, I would not dismiss a dream in decisionmaking. However I was unemployed with nothing left to loose. Had it been something else I would probably think hard and thoroughly before making a decision based on it.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
I wouldn't dismiss it - our dreams are a way of our subconscious trying to sort out our thoughts from our daily life. Sometimes the solutions in our dreams don't make sense (you can tell which ones those are), but other times they do, or it shows your true feelings about a situation or decision.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 12:16:30 PM »
Did someone said 'dreams'?

As a wannabe comic drawer, I like using dreams for inspiration. One of them helped me with the end of one :) I also like to believe that I can predict some things with my dreams. Today I dreamt I found my old plushie dog. Today I found... Pinkie Cooper, which is a different toy dog, but...

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this one. In a loose sense, I do pay a lot of attention to my dreams. I've kept a dream diary for years, and used to be a skillful lucid dreamer. I've neglected it since, but dreams have offered me inspiration, good stories and beautiful places to be along the years. Help with real-life decisions? Not as far as I can recall. I've even had dreams telling me to kill myself. Oh well, I'm still alive and do not intend to change that.

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
Yes...yes I do :) especially dreams that are repetitive :P
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this one. In a loose sense, I do pay a lot of attention to my dreams. I've kept a dream diary for years, and used to be a skillful lucid dreamer. I've neglected it since, but dreams have offered me inspiration, good stories and beautiful places to be along the years. Help with real-life decisions? Not as far as I can recall. I've even had dreams telling me to kill myself. Oh well, I'm still alive and do not intend to change that.

I'm trying to be a lucid dreamer, but everytime I become lucid, it's only for a few seconds... then I wake up or continue my dream without the lucid state. How do you do that?

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
I don't like being lucid.  I always shoot off flying into outerspace when I do and it wakes me up.  For some reason I choose to fly off every time...but then I wake up and never get where I was going.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »
I would consider it. Sometimes what we want to do is not what we know we should do. I think in the end you should follow what is in your heart, particularly, if you know the right choice even if that choice is a bit more difficult.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
I almost never have dreams that obviously relate to real-life decisions I have to make, so I can't really say what I do in that case.  Dreams be so crazy sometimes, it is hard to take them seriously!  But, it could be your subconscious whispering in your ear - whether for the better or the worse, it is hard to say.  Ah, my useless advice is useless  -_-  One time I had deja vu that my friend was about to get hit by a sled, and even though the angle seemed impossible, I told him to move, and sure enough the sled went right where he had been standing.  I consider this a fluke, though, I have deja vu all the time and that was the only time it was useful  :huh:

Beldarna your story is awesome!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »
I rarely remember my dreams, and the ones I do remember are usually silly nonsense.

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:29 PM »
I'm trying to be a lucid dreamer, but everytime I become lucid, it's only for a few seconds... then I wake up or continue my dream without the lucid state. How do you do that?

I'm afraid I cannot give you any easy instructions... I've always remembered my dreams in great detail and frequently became lucid without trying, but the dream diary has been a great help. I would make meticulous notes and also draw what I had seen and started to become more aware of my dream surroundings that way. Little by little, I would spot something interesting or notice that something was really off in a normal dream and become lucid. Memorizing details also helped me remain in the lucid state for longer periods of time, though I can wake myself up as well if I want to (super helpful with nightmares).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal